Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 08:49 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,181 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to Carowinds? Is it worth the 2 1/2 hr drive? The season passes are very reasonably priced so I thought it might be a good way to get my teenagers out of the house this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 10:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
If you are looking for just water park rides I would suggest checking out Emerald Point in Greensboro but if you want thrill rides, kids rides and water park rides then Carowinds will fit your need. If you have ever been to Kings Dominion it alot simiilar to that but Knotts Berry Farm is best one I have been to.

The season pass will pay for itself with two visits When it is open 7 days weekdays is the best time to go. Saturday expect long ride lines.

The Borg is the best roller coaster ride then Top Gun. Bring a chiropractor if you going to ride the Hurler wooden roller coaster. Watch out in the Rugrats area there is a ride that the riders can dump water on people on sidewalk below. About everyday there is a Parade that Dora The Explorer leads. Eat at one of the restaurants at Carolina Place mall or along Carowinds Blvd food like any amusement park is pricey. You can bring back packs in so it a good way to bring in frozen water bottles for later consumption.

I find the place romantic at night if you stay that long. Right now they have promo on passes that I believe will be ending soon online.
This year is first time they are allowing pass holders to use it for Scarowinds. During the mid to end of the month of October the place and employees is all deck out for Halloween.
Try to run low on gas when you arrive and fill up on the South Carolina side it is about 30 cents cheaper a gallon.
Feel free to check out their website or go to the Charlotte forum and search Carowinds.
There is alot of threads on the subject.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:01 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,204 times
I've never been all that impressed with Carowinds. Unless it has changed drastically in recent years, it pales in comparison to Busch Gardens (Williamsburg). Worth the extra time to get there.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:26 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I've never been all that impressed with Carowinds. Unless it has changed drastically in recent years, it pales in comparison to Busch Gardens (Williamsburg). Worth the extra time to get there.
I second Busch Gardens in Williamsburg. There is also a water park there too (can't remember the name) and also Historic Colonial Williamsburg. Worth the drive.

I've never really been a fan of Carrowinds or Kings Dominion.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:49 PM

445 posts, read 1,858,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
I second Busch Gardens in Williamsburg. There is also a water park there too (can't remember the name) and also Historic Colonial Williamsburg. Worth the drive.

I've never really been a fan of Carrowinds or Kings Dominion.
I third the Busch Gardens recommendation

Old 01-19-2008, 05:49 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,613 times
Carowinds and Kings Dominion share some of the same rides. The drive is much easier to Kings Dominion than to Carowinds in terms of traffic. (I drive to Charlotte and to Richmond from Raleigh on a regular basis.)

I do prefer Busch Gardens over Carowinds/Kings Dominion. But, that really depends on the person. All have detailed websites on line.

OH...Not sure of the timing of your trip...but KD's season is shorter than Carowinds.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:49 AM

45 posts, read 168,613 times
Jackie,
I've been to Carowinds twice since we have friends who live in that area. It was fun, but I would compare it to Canobie Lake Park....certainly not up to Busch Gardens in terms of ambiance. That said, they have many fun roller coasters and my kids really enjoyed it.
Judy

Old 01-19-2008, 11:56 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistydew View Post
I would compare it to Canobie Lake Park....certainly not up to Busch Gardens in terms of ambiance. Judy

Canobie Lake and not Six Flags in Agawam? I was hoping it was at least up to Six Flags standard. I was never impressed with Canobie Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary