Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,459 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at getting a 24x30 garage built with roughly a 10/12 pitch roof. We have contacted a few contractors. We are wanting a simple unfinished garage basically "turn key" complete. Some contractors have come in with estimates in the lower 30s but its kind of iffy what is included (paint, gutters, electric, etc... The one contractor we are comfortable with came in in the mid to upper 40s.

The garage will consist of:

* Hardiplank siding
* Brick foundation facade
* 2 skylights
* 2 double windows, 1 single window
* 18x8 garage door
* basic electric service with lighting/garage door opener
* There will be no second floor or loft
* Extending current driveway by about 30 feet and grading the build site

I realize there are a lot of variables but does this price sound reasonable? It seems as if a few years back people were getting them done for much cheaper but the economy has improved. I'm guessing building prices have skyrocketed in the last few years. Does anyone have any specific turn key garage builder contractor recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 07:27 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,173,035 times
No recommendations on the contractor but a few important rules:1) If the value of the project is greater than 30k, the contractor is required to be licensed. 2) Make certain they have workman's comp and it is current, 3) They should be willing to sign a lien wavier that states they have paid for the materials and labor. (I've seen people get burned bigtime by this in the past)

Quotes should be very specific and also include a timeframe for completion.

The lowest quote is not always the cheapest!!

There are a few contractors on this board with very good reputations. You may want to contact them.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:48 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesnc View Post
My wife and I are looking at getting a 24x30 garage built with roughly a 10/12 pitch roof. We have contacted a few contractors. We are wanting a simple unfinished garage basically "turn key" complete. Some contractors have come in with estimates in the lower 30s but its kind of iffy what is included (paint, gutters, electric, etc... The one contractor we are comfortable with came in in the mid to upper 40s.

The garage will consist of:

* Hardiplank siding
* Brick foundation facade
* 2 skylights
* 2 double windows, 1 single window
* 18x8 garage door
* basic electric service with lighting/garage door opener
* There will be no second floor or loft
* Extending current driveway by about 30 feet and grading the build site

I realize there are a lot of variables but does this price sound reasonable? It seems as if a few years back people were getting them done for much cheaper but the economy has improved. I'm guessing building prices have skyrocketed in the last few years. Does anyone have any specific turn key garage builder contractor recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
That strikes me as reasonable given the size of the structure, the materials, and the sidewalk paving. For comparison, we build a 40 x 24 garage, all brick, with minimal sidewalk -- but two stories, with apartment above. It was about $110k for the structure including basic framing upstairs (more to fill out.)

I could see mid-$40s as reasonable for what you are talking about. Would suggest adding enough conduit that you could run extra power later, e.g., for plug in hybrid or electric car in the future.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,459 times
Thanks for the replies! I was hoping to come in under 40 with everything included. Doesn't look like that will be possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary