Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:15 AM

847 posts, read 3,521,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
The quirk about the schools in Durham's school system is that we have a higher number of black and lower-income students than all of the surrounding school systems. Historically, these students perform more poorly on tests than their peers.
Related, there are many schools in Durham in which minorities, including African-Americans, have higher test scores than you would find in many school systems that are considered "better."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 06:48 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
Related, there are many schools in Durham in which minorities, including African-Americans, have higher test scores than you would find in many school systems that are considered "better."
Ah, yes, that's true. I now remember seeing that while doing some research last year. Thanks for reminding me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
There are many people on this forum who live in Durham and love it. I would encourage you to check out the areas Mrs. Steel mentioned (she always has great posts -- positive, knowledgeable, and friendly!).
Awww ... now you're making me blush! Thanks for the compliment, Calvitts.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:47 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
I used to be one of those people who dismissed Durham out of hand and thanks to the people on this forum (Mrs. Steel, Indigoblue, PDXmom among others), we're giving Durham a closer look. After my trip down there last June, we eliminated Cary and then after research about Wake Co schools, we eliminated all of Wake Co (disclaimer again for those who think I'm bashing WCPSS: I'm NOT bashing--we elminated it based on what WE want for our kids, which is not in alignment with WCPSS policy). I fell in love with Chapel Hill and we are still considering that area. I didn't get to Hillsborough but was interested in that area as well. I spent the night before my interview in Durham, at the Washington Duke Inn--so that was QUITE an introduction to Durham! I thought downtown Durham was great: loved the revitalization and the charm and personality of the renovated old brick warehouses and plants. It reminded me of behind the Embarcadero Center in San Francisco and what they'd done there many years back. I thought Duke's campus was gorgeous. I didn't tour neighborhoods, regretably, since at the time, we were not considering Durham as a place to live.

Now, though, when I look at the house you can get for the money and I look at how beautiful, green and wooded Durham is and the fact that many of Durham's schools perform extremely well--probably as well as Chapel Hill's if you were to compare apples to apples on the socioeconomic scale--well, Durham is high up on our list of places to consider. Mr. NChomesomeday is not quite as convinced as I am, but I'm working on it. We need to figure out our timeline, then get him down there to spend some time with me viewing the area.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:37 PM

39 posts, read 92,258 times
I live in what many people consider to be the "roughest" part of Durham. Many advised me against moving here, but I fell in love with my house and every time I came to visit (I did many visits at different times of day/week to see community changes), my neighbors met me outside and befriended me. They all helped me move in too!

I purchased a home close to 2700 sq. feet for $91K and LOVE IT! Many of the original details were still in the home. Many homes like mine exist in Durham, but if they are in bad shape, you will need to get a loan that includes the cost of the house and rehab. My neighborhood (Old East Durham) is in an historic district and you do get tax credits for rehab.

Of all the places I have lived, this is my favorite. I am 20 minutes from my alma mater (UNC-Chapel Hill) and minutes away from several major highways. We have several families with young children that all play outside on a regular basis.

I caution you to ask the following questions of anyone that speaks negatively or positively about any area..."What is the level of first hand experience you have with the area you are discussing?"

That will tell you everything. I've had people going off about my neighborhood and then when I invite them over for dinner they have to eat every word. That dish does not taste so good.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:41 PM

39 posts, read 92,258 times
Default Old East Durham

I live in what many people consider to be the "roughest" part of Durham. Many advised me against moving here, but I fell in love with my house and every time I came to visit (I did many visits at different times of day/week to see community changes), my neighbors met me outside and befriended me. They all helped me move in too!

I purchased a home close to 2700 sq. feet for $91K and LOVE IT! Many of the original details were still in the home. Many homes like mine exist in Durham, but if they are in bad shape, you will need to get a loan that includes the cost of the house and rehab. My neighborhood (Old East Durham) is in an historic district and you do get tax credits for rehab.

Of all the places I have lived, this is my favorite. I am 20 minutes from my alma mater (UNC-Chapel Hill) and minutes away from several major highways. We have several families with young children that all play outside on a regular basis.

I caution you to ask the following questions of anyone that speaks negatively or positively about any area..."What is the level of first hand experience you have with the area you are discussing?"

That will tell you everything. I've had people going off about my neighborhood and then when I invite them over for dinner they have to eat every word. That dish does not taste so good.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,659 times
My husband, kids and I moved to Chapel Hill five years ago because of the reputation of the public schools. If I had it to do all over again, I would choose Durham instead. It's more interesting, has great restaurants, the Downtown Y, American Tobacco, the Bulls. Forest Hills and Trinity Park are, hands down, the most beautiful neighborhoods in the Triangle.

About schools: I don't have any first-hand experience, but I do know Durham has some highly-regarded magnet schools (a couple Montessori schools, Durham School of the Arts, etc.). I think those schools have "walk zones," where kids automatically get to go there if they live within a certain distance. But check w/ the school district so you know the real facts. Also, Central Park School for Children is a charter school modeled after Duke School for Children...but free...so it is another option.

The Southpoint area is fine, but it is standard suburbia and completely lacks character. The mall is pretty good, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:12 PM
tnw

57 posts, read 151,321 times
Which part of Durham would have sams club,superwalmart, tj maxx ,marshalls, ross ,value city?

Old 01-20-2008, 03:31 PM

579 posts, read 2,862,949 times
[quote=aidiloc;2569736]I purchased a home close to 2700 sq. feet for $91K and LOVE IT! Many of the original details were still in the home. Many homes like mine exist in Durham, but if they are in bad shape, you will need to get a loan that includes the cost of the house and rehab. My neighborhood (Old East Durham) is in an historic district and you do get tax credits for rehab.
[quote]

WOW just WOW... you my friend, are a genius! You are basically sitting on a gold mine. Just wait. It's only a matter of time before the growth in this area causes these historic areas to become trendy, hot, urban, artistic neighborhoods. Great foresight! Stay in that house as long as possible and don't forget the little people when you are a millionaire. lol

We thought about doing the same thing in a less desireable area of downtown Raleigh. A friend of mine is convinced that downtown Durham is a better bet for the long term. I think I totally agree. Good for you for seeing beyond the usual "here and now" that so many are caught up on. Maybe we'll be neighbors someday.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:54 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnw View Post
Which part of Durham would have sams club,superwalmart, tj maxx ,marshalls, ross ,value city?
SW Durham. All of those stores are on 15-501 business except for Marshalls, Value City and Super Walmart. There's a Walmart but not a Super Walmart (Durham County doesn't have a Super Walmart as of yet).

Old 01-20-2008, 04:00 PM
tnw

57 posts, read 151,321 times
do they have super target? what time does the walmart close?
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary