Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 08:53 AM

4 posts, read 4,352 times

Advertisements

Hoping some of you may be able to talk me off the ledge - my wife and I have been living in a 1 bedroom apartment for 2 months now since we moved down from northeast -I work in north hills, she works near Wakemed-Cary.. we are expecting our first child in less than 2 weeks and are struggling with finding the right home and area- we really wanted to be part of a younger community like heritage or 12 oaks in holly springs- but are really struggling with the commutes for both of us. so a few questions

traffic from holly springs to North hills via rt 1 seems like it could be a congested route- is this true?
we sold our home up north and we are planning to spend between 650k-750k on a home, but most of those homes put us in more established, older neighborhoods - we really want to be in a younger community, im 32 my wife is 29-
we will probably have family staying with us, so we wanted a larger home, decent size property (1/2 acre), but also be in a community where we can meet people our age- i play golf, so we had been looking at the golf communities in the area-

Outside of the golf communities- is there a younger community with larger homes and decent lots that is more centrally located for our office locations in north hills and wakemed-cary
schools and community are most important to us-

we have looked at brier creek and prestonwood-

Thanks for any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 09:08 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
If you eliminate the Regency and townhouse communities, brier creek country club has lots of kids. And kiddie programs, many related to tennis and swimming.

The high number of kids is why we didn't join the pool.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:16 AM

4 posts, read 4,352 times
That is what deterred us from Brier Creek- With the mandatory membership, we started doing the math and quickly came to the conclusion that the pool and facilities were likely overrun-

Old 05-19-2015, 10:17 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Well, you could live NEAR a course and join it (i.e. live near Prestonwood and join it). I guess the newest subdivisions have the most young families, but the ones that are around 20 years old are turning over at this point as now-empy nesters sell their homes.

I would pick a place that appeals to you as far as commute and amenities and drive around on the weekends and see if you like what you see. Pools in neighborhoods are open now so you should be able to get a peek into neighborhood dynamics.

Good luck!

Old 05-19-2015, 10:32 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA1147 View Post
traffic from holly springs to North hills via rt 1 seems like it could be a congested route- is this true?
IMO, the bigger issue is 55 going from HS to Rt 1. In the mornings, it crawls from just past Technology to Rt. 1. It's possible to get around that by taking the toll road one exit ... it's longer, but at least you're moving.

Rt. 1 has been rather hit-or-miss for the last few months. Some days there's very little congestion, other days it's slow between 55 and Tryon. After Tryon, it opens up fairly well until you hit the 440 congestion.

In the evenings, Rt. 1S moves pretty slowly from Tryon to 55, and then 55 backs up before Technology where everyone is waiting to turn left. If you keep right, it's fairly easy to get by.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:01 AM

386 posts, read 605,716 times
plan on a 35-40 minute commute in the mornings from Holly Springs to North Hills. In the evenings traffic is a mess on 440 as you probably know so it'd probably take anywhere from 35-55 minutes on the way back.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:47 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
Most younger families are not yet able to afford houses in that price range. In this area that's a "worked all these years to afford this" kind of home. Empty nesters sell to downsize but your beginning family is usually looking at starter homes or around $300k at the most. You have a unique issue most of us wish we had.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:59 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
It is going to be tough to find a concentration of folks your age. You're about a decade young. But I'm 47 and just assume that everyone that my kids go to school with, those parents are the same. Of course, that's to make me feel younger

I would suggest trying to find something in the 27609 and near parts of 27612. You can apply to join North Hills Club (the closest newer homes will actually be the top of budget though) which is awesome for swim and tennis. As of now, there's a limited joint membership with Raleigh CC for the golfing end.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:47 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
If you eliminate the Regency and townhouse communities, brier creek country club has lots of kids. And kiddie programs, many related to tennis and swimming.

The high number of kids is why we didn't join the pool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA1147 View Post
That is what deterred us from Brier Creek- With the mandatory membership, we started doing the math and quickly came to the conclusion that the pool and facilities were likely overrun-
Have your cake and eat it too? Do you want to be around and meet lots of young families or no?

Old 05-19-2015, 02:58 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Most younger families are not yet able to afford houses in that price range. In this area that's a "worked all these years to afford this" kind of home.
I thought this might be a problem as well. I know people who live in Prestonwood but their kids are well into elementary school and older, and still they tell me they are by far the youngest in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary