Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 03:10 PM

342 posts, read 388,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchchess View Post
I've also mentioned my concern about academics. My son is average in math, having taken Geometry his freshman year and Algebra 2 his sophomore year. But there are kids his same age and in his same level of math that are considered advanced in math because they're a grade below him. This frustrates me because if I had redshirted my son, he would still have just finished Algebra 2 and would also be considered advanced.
I don't quite follow your logic. Your son had an additional year of school to get to the level of Math where he currently is than the kids who are a year behind and in the same level. In this case isn't it that they are the same age that really means anything, but they took less time to get there is the reason that they are advanced. Especially since math is sequential, they most likely either double upped on content or skipped content, which means that they had to then teach themselves that content. That is why the Freshmen are considered advanced and a Sophomore isn't.

I know that in our school system kids end up in Algebra 2 as a freshmen by taking a compacted class in 6th and 7th grade that covers 6th, 7th, and 8th grade math concepts. My daughter is taking Algebra 1 as a eight graders after doing the compacted class in 6th and 7th. And my son is taking Algebra 1 in 7th grade so will be taking Algebra 2 in eight grade after skipping fifth grade math and teaching himself 6th grade math via a computer. Both kids worked really hard to get to the advanced class and did extra work, especially my son who is two years advanced, compared to the kids on grade level. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being on grade level, but the kids who are taking advanced classes typically have put in a lot of effort to get that point, that's why they they considered advanced. And just red shirting your son might not have meant that he would have been tracked into the advanced classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 04:04 PM

11 posts, read 10,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
What is little Johnny going to do at his first real job when he doesn't get that promotion he "deserved"? Is he going to be able to handle the fairness of the world, complain to mommy and daddy, jump from job to job continuously because all his bosses aren't fair? The last one actually seems pretty common nowadays from my experience with reviewing resumes of people with less than 5 years experience.
If your child were held to higher expectations than another child his age, you'd be pissed too.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:15 PM

171 posts, read 197,625 times
Quote:
If your child were held to higher expectations than another child his age, you'd be pissed too.
He's not being held to a higher standard. He's being held to exactly the same standard as his grade cohorts. You just can't accept that his grade cohort includes a kid who is a year older and better than him at cello.

Your pissed-ness is completely unwarranted. Get over it.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
Quote:
You're way too hung up on age. Both of my daughters are on the younger end of the age span for their grades (they have summer birthdays). I try not to compare them to other kids. But if/when I do, it's always in the context of kids in their grades, not kids who are their age. Kids in same grade = apples. Kids of same age, but different grade = oranges.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:42 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Maybe you should go see a therapist for your anger and angst, life is too short to be pissed at anything.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:26 AM

342 posts, read 388,106 times
Quote:
Did you get a chance to read my explanation about why the kid in the lower grade is advanced? It's not higher expectations. The other kid had a year less schoolwise to get to the same place in math.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:04 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
Quote:
My son should have this opportunity his senior year, but thanks to redshirting, he won't. Thanks to redshirting, his glory has been stolen. Is my frustration more understandable now?
I sure hope you don't pass this attitude on to your son. He sounds like a wonderfully talented kid with a lot to be proud of. The only person stealing his glory, is you.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:39 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcake View Post
I'm punchchess, but I was locked out of my account, so I'm using this one for the time being.

Yes, I read your explanation and I've said many times that when you're older, you learn faster.

But let's just suppose that you're right and that it doesn't what age you start school. THEN WHY REDSHIRT? Why did that girls' parents start her a year late if they felt confident that she could make the exact same accomplishments a year earlier? She could be an incoming junior who just finished Pre-calculus. Why not just send them on time if it won't make a difference either way?
Sometimes it's the child's physical size or social/emotional maturity. I have never heard anyone say it's to give them an academic edge.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:17 AM

425 posts, read 462,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Sometimes it's the child's physical size or social/emotional maturity. I have never heard anyone say it's to give them an academic edge.
Bingo - I have never heard of a calculating, maniacal parent who created a statistical analysis of their 5 year old's chances of making it to Harvard, the NY Philharmonic, or the NFL and used that to determine if they were going to hold them back a year. Social / physical maturity (fine motor issues etc) seem to be most common causes from the people we know, and it was a difficult decision for most of them.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:17 AM

525 posts, read 1,298,132 times
The thing the OP is also forgetting (IMO) is that the VAST majority of kids who are held back have very late summer birthdays. Therefore most of them are only a few weeks older than many kids who started "on time."

Even if redshirting was illegal, and every single child in a grade was forced to start "on time," there could still be almost an entire year between kids in the same grade. So this entire thread is sort of ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary