Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 12:25 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcake View Post
I'm punchchess, but I was locked out of my account, so I'm using this one for the time being.

Yes, I read your explanation and I've said many times that when you're older, you learn faster.

But let's just suppose that you're right and that it doesn't what age you start school. THEN WHY REDSHIRT? Why did that girls' parents start her a year late if they felt confident that she could make the exact same accomplishments a year earlier? She could be an incoming junior who just finished Pre-calculus. Why not just send them on time if it won't make a difference either way?
Maybe the parents weren't ready for her to start school yet? I believe children here don't have to start school until they are 7 years old. Some people enjoy having their kids around.

Or maybe she was off at MIT taking math classes just to get to ahead. You'll never know, will you? Oh wait -- if you care so much, why don't you just ask her parents? You seem to know a lot about her anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
The thing the OP is also forgetting (IMO) is that the VAST majority of kids who are held back have very late summer birthdays. Therefore most of them are only a few weeks older than many kids who started "on time."

Even if redshirting was illegal, and every single child in a grade was forced to start "on time," there could still be almost an entire year between kids in the same grade. So this entire thread is sort of ridiculous.
Exactly! And at what point does it stop? Do 29 year olds have an advantage over 28 year olds, assuming they graduated from high school the same year?

Old 08-11-2015, 06:23 PM

171 posts, read 197,602 times
Quote:
Well, the truth is, redshirted children do have an academic advantage. Therefore, there should be consequences for redshirting. For instance, redshirted kids should not be allowed to be nominated for Valedictorian. Because of course they have the best grades of the senior class! They're a year older! They should not be allowed to run for student body president, nor should they be allowed to affect class curves. Sorry, but this is the only way I can think of to keep the playing field fair. If these rules went into affect, I wonder if parents would be redshirting anymore.
The academic advantage of someone 13 months older than your child has been greatly exaggerated by your posts and diminishes over time. It's kind of like the effects of pre-K, it helps a lot from kindergarten through 2nd or 3rd grade, but levels off afterwards.

The importance you place on it is way out of line with the advantages it affords, and for how long it is afforded. Please ask teachers and child psychologists about this. You'll see you've been perseverating on this for no real reason.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:29 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Well, the truth is, redshirted children do have an academic advantage. Therefore, there should be consequences for redshirting. For instance, redshirted kids should not be allowed to be nominated for Valedictorian. Because of course they have the best grades of the senior class! They're a year older! They should not be allowed to run for student body president, nor should they be allowed to affect class curves. Sorry, but this is the only way I can think of to keep the playing field fair. If these rules went into affect, I wonder if parents would be redshirting anymore.
What if a redshirted child is developmentally delayed, I don't see them having an academic advantage there? Please seek some psychological help you have some serious hangups!

Old 08-11-2015, 06:32 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
Speechless,either these are troll posts or I think we have found another Wanda Holloway.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,258 times
You all need to get a hobby! Seriously...stop worrying about other people's kids and stop comparing. Just enjoy your children no matter what age/level they are at. Geeez!

Old 08-11-2015, 07:08 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
The problem is, a lot of children who are redshirted are not developmentally delayed.
I have a mid-October birthday and grew up in the late 70's and early 80's before cut-off dates were implemented. I was definitely one of the youngest people in my high school class, although there were some even younger than me with November, December and even January of the next year birthdays. I had about 260 people in my graduating class and honestly the oldest kids in my class were some of the least intelligent having failed at least one grade, if not more. I would say the top 50 to 60 kids in the class had birthdays all within the 50% youngest part of the class, where my birthday was. I hope your child becomes one of the best chello players in the world and plays in all of the great orchestras!

Old 08-11-2015, 07:13 PM

171 posts, read 197,602 times
Quote:
The problem is, a lot of children who are redshirted are not developmentally delayed that I know of.
There, fixed it for you.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Where do you live where kids don't have to start school until they're 7?

In North Carolina. Specifically in the "Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary" area...you know...the board you're posting on.

And btw -- your kid's "gap year" is no different than redshirting.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:34 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
They haven't carted off that horse yet? We are all exhausted....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary