Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 11:50 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Spent the past couple of hours searching through old Dallas vs. Raleigh posts.

Apologize upfront if this one seems to be repetitive.

I am a single male in mid 30's. Originally from Tennessee. Moved to Dallas TX in January from Northern New Jersey.

My stay here in Dallas has not gone well thus far. Has been extremely hard making friends here. People here are not nearly as friendly as I imagined they would be. The dating scene here is bland. Spent the first three months exploring just about every major area of DFW and now have grown completely bored with the city.

I managed to land a gig as a technical trainer in Durham and am contemplating whether or not to take the position. Have heard good things about Raleigh and am really wondering if Raleigh living would be any different than Dallas.

I would be very happy to be someplace where there is some live music (jazz, blues), good restaurants, decent singles scene and downtown area that doesn't shut down after 9 pm.

Biggest fear is moving to Raleigh and finding out that the city is no different than Dallas in regards to nightlife entertainment options, dating scene, etc.

I am counting down the days until I can leave Dallas.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 05:07 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
What prompted the move from NJ? Did you like NJ? Why? Was it the close proximity to NYC? You're not going to replicate that anywhere.

I can't speak to the young singles scene but if the job is in Durham you could live in Durham.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:11 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Well, Raleigh/Durham is quite a bit smaller than Dallas/Ft. Worth. It's just a whole different ball game. If you are looking for a big city vibe like NYC, don't come here.

There is definitely a lot of live music here! Many downtown venues are just getting started at 9pm. more good restaurants than you could ever try, and lots of friendly single ladies. The challenge is in you finding ways to connect with them. And i think that is the same wherever you go.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:33 AM

563 posts, read 956,051 times
People here are very friendly from my perspective and Stagemomma is correct, lots of live music and venues here. From reading you initial post, I received the impression that your one of major priorities is the dating scene. Have you found in the past that you get bored of places in a short period of time (all relative)? And yes, Raleigh is not exactly a place that is typically compared to Dallas for many reasons

Old 05-21-2015, 10:57 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Thanks for the input everyone.

I did enjoy living in New Jersey due to the proximity of NYC. However, the cost of living was ridiculous and I could not live the way I wanted on the salary that I was making.

Very glad to hear that there is a decent singles scene and that there are plenty of live music venues and restaurants.

I have been looking on craigslist at apartment costs and am shocked at the price of apartments in downtown Raleigh. Many are well over $1000.

Think I am going to schedule a trip in the next few days. I do have some family in Raleigh which would make the transition even easier.

Thanks for input.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:11 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,662 times
OP, definitely come and visit. Things are very spread out and a commute from downtown Raleigh to Durham might not be fun. Durham is great city with night life, check it out while you visit. An apartment there would be more practical for your commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary