Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 12:26 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,591 times

Advertisements

There are many Manhattan retirees in our downtown raleigh condo building (PNC tower on Fayetteville St). The ones I spoke to love being able to go downstairs, walk to restaurants, bars, bakeries, museums, concerts, events, etc. Even though it's not NYC, it's as close as you can get in this Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) area while still living in a 33 story high rise luxury condo.

And there is constant growth, with new high rises, retail, dining, and a mass transit union station under development a few blocks away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 12:48 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
There are many Manhattan retirees in our downtown raleigh condo building (PNC tower on Fayetteville St). The ones I spoke to love being able to go downstairs, walk to restaurants, bars, bakeries, museums, concerts, events, etc. Even though it's not NYC, it's as close as you can get in this Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) area while still living in a 33 story high rise luxury condo.

And there is constant growth, with new high rises, retail, dining, and a mass transit union station under development a few blocks away.
Very nice to hear. Do you sense that you have a real community in Raleigh and in the condo you live in where people look out for each other? Thanks much for the input!

Old 05-26-2015, 04:15 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,591 times
In our condo building, yes everyone is friendly and knows each other. We do a lot of socials, group outings, monthly dinner gatherings to try new downtown restaurants, etc. In general, Raleigh people are friendly but I may be biased.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:44 PM

420 posts, read 452,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Hi all,

Any New Yorkers here who retired in downtown Raleigh? What's it like? Thanks!
Hi OP,
I am a New Yorker...raised in theBronx, lived in city and burbs. I am in my early 50's...empty nester.
I was ready for a different, slower, less congested pace. The mistake that most people that both young and old people make in coming here is believing they will find all the amenities they are leaving behind in a major metropolis and expecting to find them here. Everything you need is here;there are simply fewer choices.
I agree with the poster who stated that in order to truly get the most of the area, you need to tAke advantage of the surrounding cities/towns...namely Durham and Chapel Hill. There is a vibrancy in those areas due to the universities as well as cultural offerings, restaurants, etc. Another interesting note is that I know retirees in Raleigh who now wish they had settled in Durham...they find it to be more culturally diverse.

The big negative for a true Manhattanite is no mass transit. Making the matter worse is the roads not being lit and I know as I get older, it is an issue for me. The positive is that the traffic is NOTHING compared to NY.

Ask yourself what you are looking for in retirement. If you need to be busy 24/7, there may be a better place.
If you want activities and community on a much smaller scale, you may really like it. I love it but I was ready to leave the big city.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:43 PM

Thanks all! Great tips and advice. I've already set up a trip to get together with my friend from Ft. Lauderdale and meet in Raleigh. He wants to retire there and it wool give me a chance to check it out. Any tips on what we might do our check out while we are there would be appreciated - on any of the cities. Condo recommendations also appreciated especially if there is a community atmosphere. Thanks again!

Old 05-26-2015, 08:12 PM

634 posts, read 913,056 times
Any comments on NC taxation on out of state retirement - good or bad? Any recent tax code changes?

Old 05-27-2015, 02:09 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
Any comments on NC taxation on out of state retirement - good or bad? Any recent tax code changes?
Yup!

The disgusting Republican legislature made some big changes last year to help the rich and corporations.

Pension income exclusions were eliminated with an increase in standard deduction.

Quite a few retirees complain that their state tax burden has jumped.

Food is taxed. Vehicles are taxed yearly. A new change in gas tax will increase rates.

The toll monster has just come up from the sewer here and may expand in the future.

2014 North Carolina Individual Income Tax Law Changes

Old 05-27-2015, 07:36 AM

29 posts, read 53,460 times
I am a NYC Teacher who plans to retire to the triangle area in the next few years. I don't live in Manhattan, ( I live just north of the city in Westchester county) Taxes are one of the factors I have considered in my decision making process. However, the major tax on NYC area residents ( at least for those who live in single family homes) are property taxes. In this area, despite your "disgusting republican legislature", NC cant hold a candle to the NYC area. The property tax on a 2500 sqft house on a 9000 sqft lot in my neighborhood is $15,000 ! I dont care what other taxes there are in NC, I'm still going to save a boatload of money!

Old 05-27-2015, 07:47 AM

High taxes for me is a major red flag and indicator of corruption. I don't mind paying taxes of it is really going back into the community. However, obscenely high taxes in deteriorating localities can often indicate that money is being skimmed off the top and the community is just sitting by and allowing it to happen. This is one of the reasons I am looking for a community that is active in its own social and political affairs and not just sitting by and letting the "other person" do the work for them. I have learned that this is a formula for inviting high taxes (or any kind of agreement) and corruption.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:16 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
High taxes for me is a major red flag and indicator of corruption. I don't mind paying taxes of it is really going back into the community. However, obscenely high taxes in deteriorating localities can often indicate that money is being skimmed off the top and the community is just sitting by and allowing it to happen. This is one of the reasons I am looking for a community that is active in its own social and political affairs and not just sitting by and letting the "other person" do the work for them. I have learned that this is a formula for inviting high taxes (or any kind of agreement) and corruption.
What's developing here is a lot of unfunded need from stupid growth.

You may see major jumps in all taxes here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary