Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 15,025 times

Advertisements

I know that there are plenty of people asking about various areas and I have searched the forum for as much information as I can find. We are relocating for a business opportunity in RTP. My husband and I visited earlier this month and after seeing the various areas, we decided on the North Raleigh area. Obviously the commute was a major factor. Schools not so much because our kids will attend private school. But, we did visit a number of the private schools and are bringing the kids back next week to see the schools. They are young, but we still want them to see things for themselves.
As far as homes, we are looking at new construction and have opted to go with the custom homes. When we saw the quality in the homes, it was hard to look at the large developer homes. The subdivisions that we are looking at are Bedford Falls Estates, The Gates at Ethan's Glen, Rose Hall, Belmont Ridge (or something like that). Id welocme hearing opinions and thoughts on those areas and of course recommendations that people may have.
Oh, and this draught is really concerning to us. What is the real danger of the area running out of water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 09:57 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
You've chosen my favorite neighborhood...Ethan's Glen. If you look back, you'll see North Raleigh Guy was kind enough to tease us with photos!

Bedford is wonderful but you won't get as much land as in Ethan's Glen.

I've lived here for over 30 years...don't really worry about "running out" of water although the drought is real and does affect us, especially the lawns. However, if I had to choose between drinking water and showering or watering my grass, I'm heading for the shower!

Ask questions and there are plenty of folks on this forum that will happily answer and give you opinions until you want no more!

Vicki

Old 01-20-2008, 07:49 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,001 times
I live a few minutes from Ethan's Glen. I like the homes and builders in the Gates at Ethan's Glen. I would be careful on lot selection - you don't want one that is near NC 50 (Creedmoor Road) or Hwy 98, as both receive a lot of traffic (including 18 wheelers) throughout the day and into the evenings.

The neighborhood is outside the Raleigh city limits in the Falls Lake watershed and will be on community water (provided by Aqua, NC) and septic, so the drought won't affect you as much as those who draw water from Falls Lake. Because you are in the watershed, there isn't much commercial businesses available. The closest grocery shopping is at Strickland/Creedmoor, about 7.5 miles away. But you will get larger (close to one acre) wooded lots, which I find to be worth it.

Commute to RTP is much better than those neighborhoods that are farther west, such as Bedford. To Northern RTP, near I-40, you are probably looking at a 20-25 minute commute each way during rush hour.

In your price range, there are other neighborhoods to look at as well in that section of North Raleigh. Check out Parker Falls, which is is close in both distance and price to the Gates at Ethan's Glen. There is also Stonemoor, which is a little farther south off Norwood Road near Creedmoor Road. The homes there are a little bit more expensive than Ethan's Glen or Parker Falls, but are a good option if they are in your price range.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:19 AM

60 posts, read 185,353 times
Bedford is my favorite. There is a 5K held there every year that is called “The Paul Hale Memorial Run". I always enjoy running there and looking at the beautiful homes and talking to the friendly people in the neighborhood.
It seems very family oriented and according to police records, very, very seldom do police respond to that location for any type of calls.
I drive by that way quite often and the only downer that I can point out is the 2 lane road on Falls of the Neuse. However the good news is there is construction plans to make Falls a 4 lane road up to Falls River Bridge. When that happens, traffic should be a lot smother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary