Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:52 PM

91 posts, read 147,810 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Does anyone know of a depression support group that meets in the Triangle area. First preference would be in Cary but will consider other areas too. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 10:56 PM

413 posts, read 875,195 times
Default Highland United Methodist

NAMI has an active chapter in Wake County with support groups both for families
and patients.
It meets Monday night in Raleigh at Highland United Methodist Church.

The NAMI website offers lots of info on mental illness, peer support groups,
libraries and social events.

Good luck.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:42 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,229,566 times
Contact Gerry Akland. 919-848-4490 - gakland@nc.rr.com

Old 05-26-2015, 08:52 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,607,241 times
Raleigh support group meets Wednesday evenings from 7:30 to 9 at St. Mark's United Methodist Church in Raleigh, 4801 Six Forks Road just north of the beltline and North Hills. Although the church provides space for our meetings, we are not affiliated with St. Mark's. Along Six Forks, there are three churches in a row and St. Mark's is the one closest to the traffic intersection of Six Forks and Northbrook Drive. After turning on to Northbrook, take an immediate right on to Terry Street and then another immediate right into the parking lot behind St. Mark's. We meet in the Education Building at the very back of St. Mark's. There is a covered drive-through/drop-off entrance with two glass entrance doors on the right. Enter through the unlocked glass door on the left and then go left down the hall to Owens Gymnasium at the end.
Front - NAMI-NC | North Carolina’s Voice On Mental Illness

Old 05-26-2015, 08:32 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,170,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
Raleigh support group meets Wednesday evenings from 7:30 to 9 at St. Mark's United Methodist Church in Raleigh, 4801 Six Forks Road just north of the beltline and North Hills. Although the church provides space for our meetings, we are not affiliated with St. Mark's. Along Six Forks, there are three churches in a row and St. Mark's is the one closest to the traffic intersection of Six Forks and Northbrook Drive. After turning on to Northbrook, take an immediate right on to Terry Street and then another immediate right into the parking lot behind St. Mark's. We meet in the Education Building at the very back of St. Mark's. There is a covered drive-through/drop-off entrance with two glass entrance doors on the right. Enter through the unlocked glass door on the left and then go left down the hall to Owens Gymnasium at the end.
Front - NAMI-NC | North Carolina’s Voice On Mental Illness
Is this for depression or all mental illness?

Old 05-27-2015, 05:43 AM

757 posts, read 833,099 times
Mental Illness support, education, advocacy in Raleigh, NC area

There is one NAMI support group that meets in Cary as well.

Depression is included in the spectrum of mental illness, and benefits from the support of people who know, and who have been there.

There is also a group for family members who care for/live with/interact with relatives/spouses/other who have these illnesses, depression included. Family-to-Family (also called F2F) is invaluable in developing coping skills to help yourself as well as your family member. You have to take care of yourself too!

NAMI is also the best resource for services- recommendations from others about psychiatrists, therapists, experiences with different meds and side effects, coping with the emotional and practical day-to-day "stuff".

Word of mouth is the best recommendation for anything, but especially this.

Last edited by mamasplace; 05-27-2015 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: need more coffee

Old 05-28-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
Is this for depression or all mental illness?
I was told it was for depression/anxiety. I am searching for one closer to where I live in NW Raleigh. I am having horrible panic attacks while driving on the interstates here so I have to find back roads to places. I am near Brier Creek. It is hard to find a good therapist when you are new to the area. I do not know anyone yet around here that has the same issues that I do or that is currently in therapy. I really dont want to tell strangers that I just meet that I have depression/anxiety so bad I have trouble driving.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:57 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,730,330 times
nc71- There's a group for family support that meets at Christ the King 7-8:30 2nd and 4th Thursdays

Old 05-28-2015, 08:05 PM
ERH

1,696 posts, read 2,509,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
I was told it was for depression/anxiety. I am searching for one closer to where I live in NW Raleigh. I am having horrible panic attacks while driving on the interstates here so I have to find back roads to places. I am near Brier Creek. It is hard to find a good therapist when you are new to the area. I do not know anyone yet around here that has the same issues that I do or that is currently in therapy. I really dont want to tell strangers that I just meet that I have depression/anxiety so bad I have trouble driving.
I'm happy to provide the name of my therapist for depression/anxiety if you DM me. Her office is located in the Waverly Place area. I have been with her for about three years. She saved my life.

Last edited by ERH; 05-28-2015 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Added location.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
I'm happy to provide the name of my therapist for depression/anxiety if you DM me. Her office is located in the Waverly Place area. I have been with her for about three years. She saved my life.
Thank you but I live NW Raleigh. I need to find someone close until I get through this anxiety issue. Yesterday was horrible! I am so glad you found help! Do you walk in the Walk For Hope in Oct?

Last edited by shanti1; 05-29-2015 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary