Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:50 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
Can you name a few restaurants you find too cold?
Lucky 32. I know I am not the one you asked but this is the first time I was actually so cold I wanted to leave a restaurant. I like it cool/cold so I knew if I was cold then my family was FREEZING!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 08:15 PM

360 posts, read 516,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
Can you name a few restaurants you find too cold?
Just today... Carolina Cafe (I was cold in a fleece coat and jeans and 2 of the 3 other people with me were cold as well) and Freddy's. My kids were shivering, but that was my fault -- I forgot to bring jackets for the restaurant, which I normally do in the summer. I had jeans and a fleece and I was still too cold.

It just seems illogical to me... it's expensive to run the AC like that. I don't see why you would keep it colder in the summer (the indoor temp) than in the winter. At least in winter I'm already dressed for it!

Old 05-26-2015, 08:16 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I always hate it when they run the air conditioning in restaurants cold enough to kill hogs. It can completely ruin a meal. Same for movie theaters. I don't get it either.
Me too! And it's not an NC thing. I don't get it either.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Lucky 32. I know I am not the one you asked but this is the first time I was actually so cold I wanted to leave a restaurant. I like it cool/cold so I knew if I was cold then my family was FREEZING!!!
This reminds me... I've been wanting to try Lucky 32 but keep forgetting! I will come dressed in layers. :O

Old 05-26-2015, 08:45 PM

84 posts, read 91,298 times
Most people are tragically humidity un-aware. By that I mean they do not understand the impact that moisture or lack of has on how the temperature "feels".

So, a lot of times restaurants have the thermostat on auto-pilot. They may have set it on a particular temperature based on what "typically" feels good that time of year based on (here's the tricky part) how many bodies they think might end up occupying the building later in the day. What's more, how hot or cold that "auto" temp feels depends on how much moisture is present or absent from the air. The temp that works well on a busy day in humid August may not be the same temp setting that works well on a sparse day in dry May.

But, since typically nobody makes it their full-time job to take the science of temperature perfection under their wing, the thermostat often gets set at some best-guess temp. How that temp actually feels to patrons will depend on many things, some of which may not even be in the immediate control of the staff (sometimes it's locked or pre-set).

So I guess at the end of it all, they are counting on folks to wear versatile enough clothes and be prepared enough to have a long sleeve shirt handy. There are enough idiots out there determined to wear shorts and short sleeves in cold weather, that a lot of the restaurants probably just err on the side of cold in order to minimize their chances of having to deal with the lower social echelon. I think instead of asking why restaurants have the A/C on when it's 80 degrees out, we should be asking "why is some D-bag wearing shorts outdoors in January"

Old 05-26-2015, 09:19 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times
I have zero complaints with the ac anywhere I've been. Seems silly of a complaint to me personally, but I like the cold. If so many places do it, might as well eat at home where the temp is easily regulated. The only place I heard a complaint was my wife at Tropical Smoothie cafe, but it didn't bother me.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:33 PM

Hmm... Maybe lunch places during the day are cold to accommodate more formally dressed business folks?

Maybe the temp is set for men, who tend to like it colder than women?

I'm complaining a little, sure, but I'm actually asking because I'm curious if there's a reason. If everyone is doing it, maybe there is? It costs businesses money to run the AC like that, so... I'm looking for the logic, if there is any. What a waste of energy, otherwise.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:35 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
any large space, they're not running HVAC up and down like we might at home. Therefore, at lunch it could be in expectation of a larger crowd than is either there when you are, or later in the day.

About the best you can do is tell the hostess upfront that you're cold-natured and to please seat you away from any of the vents. And if, once seated, you still notice the airflow, ask nicely to be relocated.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
any large space, they're not running HVAC up and down like we might at home. Therefore, at lunch it could be in expectation of a larger crowd than is either there when you are, or later in the day.

About the best you can do is tell the hostess upfront that you're cold-natured and to please seat you away from any of the vents. And if, once seated, you still notice the airflow, ask nicely to be relocated.
Yes I think that's probably a good explanation that I hadn't considered! Thanks...

Old 05-26-2015, 10:04 PM

386 posts, read 605,991 times
I've never had any complaints about the temperature at a restaurant but then I'm used to a lot of different climates now (grew up in Boston and I've been working outside in construction here in NC summers)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary