Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 09:29 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times

Advertisements

Bruce is great with the kids. That's him in the orange: Weavestock - Chapelboro.com

http://www.weaverstreetmarket.coop/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 09:53 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,351,955 times
We have free-range children in my little neck of the woods (North Raleigh, not Cary). There are 8-10 children +/- 1.5 years of my son's age (10) on our street, and they do go to each other's homes to see if the other child can play. The younger kids (6-7) also "roam" some as well, but not as far and the parents tend to keep a more watchful eye on them.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:43 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
Our North raleigh apartment complex has kids going to the basketball court and playground alone. The pool requires all under 14 to be accompanied by an adult.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:25 PM

47 posts, read 70,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I know you asked about Cary, but if I remember correctly, you are also considering Chapel Hill. I live in Southern Village in Chapel Hill. It's a neo-traditional planned community with residences and a village of businesses. This neighborhood is FREE ROAM CENTRAL! I am not exaggerating when I say that I see 50-100 kids roaming the neighborhood each and every day.
Love this thread and this post. Just wanted to encourage anybody else to chime in with their kid zones.

I'm hoping to bring the family out in a couple of weeks and kids roaming outside like this would really sell it. But as great as this description for Southern Village is, I know that my wife will not like how close you are to the neighbors there. (I peeked on redfin.)

Any similar kid zones in the Triangle with 1/2 acre+. (I know, you get too far apart and the kids don't connect...)

Old 06-03-2015, 04:17 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,775,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee el cee View Post
Love this thread and this post. Just wanted to encourage anybody else to chime in with their kid zones.

I'm hoping to bring the family out in a couple of weeks and kids roaming outside like this would really sell it. But as great as this description for Southern Village is, I know that my wife will not like how close you are to the neighbors there. (I peeked on redfin.)

Any similar kid zones in the Triangle with 1/2 acre+. (I know, you get too far apart and the kids don't connect...)
Yes, that is a big negative! And while there are some homes that have more land, you pay dearly for it! Hope you find something in another neighborhood.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:01 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,351,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee el cee View Post
North Raleigh, north of I-540 roughly between Leesville Rd., Falls of Neuse Rd., and Hwy 98. Neighborhoods will have at most one hope per acre, and a lot will have plenty of wee ones running around. Mine does, at least.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:01 AM

595 posts, read 676,429 times
We moved to Apex from NJ last summer with two kids. The number one item on my list was a neighborhood full of kids. On our second day in the house, a little girl (6yr old) came by to introduce herself. 20 min later, she came back with 2 friends. 10 minutes after that she came back with another 2 friends. My 4 year old was beside herself that the big girls (about 6-8) wanted to meet her. She asked if they wanted to see her toys and the next thing I knew I had six neighborhood girls in my house. I actually started to worry a little and asked my wife if this was ok. We had no idea where they lived or who their parents were. I was nervous that in our first week, we'd be branded as the creepy family who invites neighborhood children into their house. My wife told me she was thinking the same thing. I looked outside and saw a neighbor mowing his lawn and was pretty sure he was the dad of one of the girls. So I walked over, introduced myself, told him about the kids inside and asked if that was the norm, did I need to notify the parents. He started laughing (pretty hard actually) and told me not to worry. "You obviously passed the background check since we let you move into the neighborhood." He advised me to just get used to it, the kids roam around and are always in one another's house. Just keep a few extra juice boxes on hand and you'll be set.

At the exact moment, I was thrilled in our decision. That never would have happened in where we lived in NJ. Over the last year, I've had the joy of watching the kids run around the neighborhood, ringing doorbells to see who can come out to play, set up lemonade stands, ride their bikes, etc. It's exactly how I grew up and what I always wanted for my kids.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:03 AM

342 posts, read 387,806 times
Heritage in Wake Forest is full of free roaming kids. It's fantastic!

Old 06-06-2015, 09:52 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,452 times
In our neighborhood in Cary kids get lunch where ever they happen to be playing at that time. Sometimes at our house, sometimes elsewhere. Same thing with treats....ice pops or ice cream cones, water, lemonade, etc.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:30 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Is it weird that I'm not a fan of other people's kids coming to my house unannounced?

Serious question. I feel like an outlier. I love kids. All kids, not just mine.

I just never cared for them randomly appearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary