Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 02:57 PM

25 posts, read 33,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota20 View Post
If the proximity to the airport because you fly a lot or because you currently work in that area? If for regular flights, the proximity of the neighborhood to RDU is ideal and probably an under 15 minute drive because you won't be dealing with peak traffic most of the time. Close enough to be an easy drive but far enough that you don't hear the plane noise like a lot of northwest or west areas. If for daily commute, you will almost certainly increase that time by another 10 minutes.
Both. Bedford is a bit East of where I'd like to be, as I hate commuting, but was really impressed with the feel of the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 03:41 PM

84 posts, read 91,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomarsFool View Post
Both. Bedford is a bit East of where I'd like to be, as I hate commuting, but was really impressed with the feel of the community.
I think most people hate commuting, on the other hand there is something to be said for not being too close to work and constantly running into coworkers every time you go to the grocery store or the gym or whatever. Nothing against coworkers but sometimes I enjoy feeling like "work" and "life" are properly separated, so for that reason living where I want to live is more important than another 10 mins or so of commute time. On the other hand, commutes rarely get shorter over time as the area grows, so there is that.

If you're sure you will still be working near the airport long-term, it's definitely something to think carefully about. Then again I know people who bought in Apex to be closer to RTP, only to later change jobs and end up working in downtown Raleigh and in one case Wake Forest, surely doing face-palms about their purchase decision.

I personally don't like airplane noise so that rules out a lot of areas I would otherwise consider.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:47 PM

715 posts, read 888,260 times
Bedford is a great community...Honestly given the number of people moving here there will be no easy commute soon for anyone. Apex the darling of thousands is as packed could be... Ever try to get on Olive Chapel at 6pm from the Peakway... Ever go down Davis with the herds of the RTP crowd. Won't even mention 55 in West Cary.....

Old 05-29-2015, 05:26 PM

498 posts, read 853,745 times
If you like Bedford, then check out Carpenter Village in Cary. We are off Morrisville-Carpenter Road, between Davis and 55. We have lots of activities for children and a summer concert and movie series on the big lawn. Tomorrow night is a big pool party, complete with ice cream sundaes, a DJ, food truck, and games. We can walk to West Wake Library along the lake path. check us out!

Be warned the lake is low due to work recently finished at the dam. Pray for rain to fill it up quickly!

Old 05-29-2015, 08:10 PM

129 posts, read 178,893 times
I've lived in Bedford for almost 4 years and it's as nice as you are imagining.
I was a bit scared of moving here because I didn't know if it would be too "keeping up with the Jones'" but it has turned out to be anything but that. There is a really supportive community feel and we've made wonderful friends.

Traffic isn't great but as some others have pointed out, I can't imagine it being much better anywhere else in the area before too long.

That being said, if you are serious about the neighborhood and you see a house you like, jump!
We've had two houses on our street go on the market this month and sell for full ask within a day.
Since the beginning of the year we've had realtors call us at least twice a month asking if we wanted to sell. When we say no they immediately ask if we have any neighbors that we think might want to sell. It's a bit crazy!

If you have any other questions about the neighborhood please feel free to PM me. It's a big decision and you can't gather enough information!

Old 05-30-2015, 05:45 AM

25 posts, read 33,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
If you like Bedford, then check out Carpenter Village in Cary. We are off Morrisville-Carpenter Road, between Davis and 55. We have lots of activities for children and a summer concert and movie series on the big lawn. Tomorrow night is a big pool party, complete with ice cream sundaes, a DJ, food truck, and games. We can walk to West Wake Library along the lake path. check us out!

Be warned the lake is low due to work recently finished at the dam. Pray for rain to fill it up quickly!
Thanks for the reference. It looks very lovely. The only downside I see is the fact that Davis Drive is capped. W Cary looks like a 15-20 minute drive from there. I'm really surprised they haven't tried to do something to fix the situation with Mills Park and DD. It seems like they need temporary classrooms or something - and they don't even have a new middle school planned in the area.

One question re: Carpenter, the base school is YR - is that what most people in the neighborhood attend? Or do a fair number go to GH?

Old 05-30-2015, 10:33 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
They have temporary classrooms at both middle schools already. In fact, I think they moved a modular unit to the Mills Park campus (or are going to). The parents didn't want to go year-round, so that was the other option. I'm not familiar with Mills Park's campus but there's pretty much no more room at DDMS for any more mobiles.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:03 AM

498 posts, read 853,745 times
NomarsFool,

A neighbor recently moved in to our neighborhood and was told here rising 6th grader could go to DDMS, but then would have to move to East Cary or West Cary for 7th and 8th grades. My rising 6th grader got into DDMS, but we are actually looking at either Sterling Montessori (7th on the waiting list) or homeschool.

As for elementary school, kids in Carpenter Village seem to go everywhere! I would guess the majority attend Carpenter, but with four tracks, the neighbor kid might not be on the same schedule. Many also go to Green Hope; but Weatherstone, Sterling, private, and homeschool are represented as well. Heck, we go to Highcroft!

They were supposed to open Alston Ridge Middle School this coming year as a year-round middle school on this side of town. It would have been perfect for us, but it never materialized. The Powers That Be say parents don't want year round. I think many do, but when the closest middle school option is far away, families start pulling the younger kids out of year round when the older one gets to middle school so that schedules match.

If you have any more questions about CV, ask away! You can check out carpentervillage.org for more info as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary