Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were you advised against moving to Durham?
Yes, I was. 14 53.85%
No, I was not. 12 46.15%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:55 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,844,741 times

Advertisements

It has a cool and funky vibe. There are many wealthy, artsy, and highly educated residents who call it home. Durham has changed, sadly the same old info from 20 =/- years ago still gets passed by word of mouth. Folks who bash it really should visit and update their knowledge of the city. the same can be said of many towns in the triangle - so much outdated info is being passed around. Garner, Rolesville, Knightdale, Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina, etc., all small towns that have changes so much in recent years. Many folks who live here aren't aware of just what is going on in nearby towns. I travel around the triangle for work (sometimes) and am amazed at all the changes I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 04:39 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,159,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I'm always amazed by people giving their opinions when they have nothing to base it upon.

Durham 15 years ago is a different animal than Durham of today.

I've had people BORN in Durham that told me they would NOT live there.

I've had parents of clients of Raleigh tell me to please talk their kids out of buying a home in Durham.

Things change. In this case, it was for the better!
Ok...not sure what isn't clear:

I like Durham. I would live in Durham.

I'm saying that most people that think Durham is a bad place to live are just repeating what others have said. They have NO experience in Durham and some may have never visited!

In the past, I have had 2 clients from Durham that did not want to live in Durham. That is true. That was years ago. Not sure they have changed their mind. One lives in Creedmoor and one lives in Raleigh. Were they right or wrong? It was their opinions after having grown up there. Again, it was many years ago...maybe 10 or 12 years ago.

Durham has changed. Most of our small towns have changed. Many for the better.

People have moved to Durham and have helped spread the word that Durham is fine to live in.

Clear, now?

Old 06-02-2015, 07:18 PM

24 posts, read 41,312 times
Thumbs up Durham looks like a great place to live

Greetings all. We are from Long Island and have been visiting friends who moved to the Raleigh area about 8 years ago. We visit every year...and each year we find more to enjoy and like. The hospitality we have encountered has never changed. It is that hospitality that has endeared us to this lovely area.

Recently during our local Civic meeting while preparing flags for distribution in the neighborhood for the Memorial Day weekend, one in our group of 10 mentioned that he was closing on a home in Durham. No one at the table said anything negative - to the contrary we all wanted to hear about where, when, whatever. It never occurred to any of us that this area was one to avoid - on the contrary we wanted to hear more.

Neighborhoods evolve - nothing stays the same. And that can be a good thing - it happened in my local town - it happened in NYC (anyone remember Times Square during the 70's? It was a disgrace - but not now!). It sounds as if Durham has done the same...I look forward to being a part of your neighborhood in the not too distant future.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:44 PM

197 posts, read 207,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima Clasact View Post
Recently during our local Civic meeting while preparing flags for distribution in the neighborhood for the Memorial Day weekend, one in our group of 10 mentioned that he was closing on a home in Durham. No one at the table said anything negative - to the contrary we all wanted to hear about where, when, whatever. It never occurred to any of us that this area was one to avoid - on the contrary we wanted to hear more.
This was kind of my point. If you are moving from out of state, the chances that you are advised against Durham would be slim. I moved from northern VA and although it's a neighboring state my friends didn't really have much opinions, including myself. I realized Durham bashing after the fact I moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary