Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:28 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times

Advertisements

Without any supplement, the most you can earn ever is $50K a year. NC is not interested in attracting any of the brightest into teaching and the state's national ranking shows that.

I would teach in a private school, at least you do not have to be a disciplinarian 20+% of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 05:53 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I know a couple teachers who have left for private and the biggest draw was not worrying all the blasted testing, testing, testing that goes on all year. They want to teach, not constantly test.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:57 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elikruz81 View Post
I do actually teach on LI. I do have good benefits and I'm in a good school district. I would be sad to leave. What do you mean by having a cushy deal? Like less responsibilities?
Your typical day is going to give you two breaks - 30 minutes while your students are at lunch (and if you teach a lower grade, you will help them through the lunch line and may even eat in the cafeteria with them, that depends on the school though). You will over see them at recess at most schools. You will get another break when they go to specials. If a parent shows up and wants to see you during these "protected" times, expect to see them without complaint.

When you start looking to get a job, pay careful attention to the workplace surveys and turn over rate where you apply. Some of the principals leave their staff alone, and some of them (particularly the newer ones) are major micromanagers.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:07 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elikruz81 View Post
I do actually teach on LI. I do have good benefits and I'm in a good school district. I would be sad to leave. What do you mean by having a cushy deal? Like less responsibilities?
Less unpaid work
Appreciation for years of service and degrees
Tenure

Old 06-01-2015, 08:17 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,286 times
OP, what subject(s) do you teach?

Also, I would apply for the reciprocal license the year before you want to begin teaching. It can take quite a while for the paperwork to go through.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:30 AM

60 posts, read 72,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
OP, what subject(s) do you teach?

Also, I would apply for the reciprocal license the year before you want to begin teaching. It can take quite a while for the paperwork to go through.

I teach 6th grade science currently, but could also teach elementary. I personally prefer middle school though. Thanks for the advice on getting the license.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:47 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I know a couple teachers who have left for private and the biggest draw was not worrying all the blasted testing, testing, testing that goes on all year. They want to teach, not constantly test.
This is exactly what i was thinking.They are less pressures for testing, less paperwork, but from what I have heard from other teachers, much less pay.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:49 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Your typical day is going to give you two breaks - 30 minutes while your students are at lunch (and if you teach a lower grade, you will help them through the lunch line and may even eat in the cafeteria with them, that depends on the school though). You will over see them at recess at most schools. You will get another break when they go to specials. If a parent shows up and wants to see you during these "protected" times, expect to see them without complaint.

When you start looking to get a job, pay careful attention to the workplace surveys and turn over rate where you apply. Some of the principals leave their staff alone, and some of them (particularly the newer ones) are major micromanagers.
And all of this!! i was unlucky enough to have the micromanager type in Wake.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:05 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Less unpaid work
Appreciation for years of service and degrees
Tenure
In Wake, there are no aides in classrooms for special needs kids. If they are not in a self contained classroom, they are with you and you are on your own. Push ins for any reason are few and far between.

the ratios for paras are non existent. Each principal decides. The school I worked in, K had a full time para in the class, 1/2 had 50%. after that, you were on your own, regardless of the needs of the class.

You may not realize how valuable those before/after school, lunchtime and playground aides are until you don't have them anymore.

So yes, private schools are more desirable, generally speaking, regardless of the pay. It can be hard to get in, but Wake county has a fair amount of natural turnover, so vacancies do occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary