Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:22 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Agree. 15GB a month is very high and we're data hogs around here. I can keep mine around 5GB.
You can get unlimited text, data and 100 minutes voice for $30 a month with T-Mobile.

Prepaid Phone Plans | Best Prepaid Cell Phone Plans | T-Mobile

Scroll down. Just activate (SIM card) on t-Mobile and its $30 a month. Had it for years. I use hangouts when there is WiFi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 12:14 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
You can get unlimited text, data and 100 minutes voice for $30 a month with T-Mobile.

Prepaid Phone Plans | Best Prepaid Cell Phone Plans | T-Mobile

Scroll down. Just activate (SIM card) on t-Mobile and its $30 a month. Had it for years. I use hangouts when there is WiFi.
I love TMO's urban coverage, but note the OP's travel destinations. He would need to check the map -- and real-world experience -- but I wouldn't think TMO would be a star in all the places he travels.

OP, TMO does have a network test-drive offer, I think, where you borrow a phone from them for a week? At least they used to. Might check that out?

Old 06-01-2015, 01:13 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbctong View Post
I agree that T-Mobile is not recommended for rural coverage - works great in the city but otherwise I would not recommend it especially for heavy data usage.

I think the best option for you is finding a plan on Verizon/AT&T that isn't unlimited data or using an MVNO - Verizon/AT&T has the best networks around here.

Prepaid Phones and Prepaid Plans: Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless -Verizon Wireless (You can get unlimited talk/text and 4GB of data for $65 if you add 2 GB for $20 to the $45 plan)
New GoPhone Plans with Unlimited Text to Mexico, Canada, and over 100 Other Countries (Unlimited talk/text and 4 GB of data for $60)
Verizon prepaid is a horrible deal IMO.

I'm on Net10 now, with an unlimited talk/text and now 5 gb of 4g data for $43 after taxes per line.

Verizon prepaid still charges insanely high taxes on top of their monthly plans!

ATT gophone prepaid is also a bad deal. Why not go Cricket for $45/month including taxes for 5gb data?

The various MVNO's throttle data speeds to around 6-8 mbps but it's hardly noticeable. The savings are pretty substantial.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:51 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
I don't know about how it is in NC, but my parents and brothers have Sprint and report that rural coverage is horrible.

My household uses Verizon and, even though it's probably the most expensive carrier, we never worry about losing service the majority of the time. The adage "you get what you pay for" works in both directions.

Your 15gb of data usage per month though... like others have said, you may want to reevaluate some usage choices so that you don't have to buy the unlimited plan.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:01 PM

386 posts, read 605,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Verizon prepaid is a horrible deal IMO.

I'm on Net10 now, with an unlimited talk/text and now 5 gb of 4g data for $43 after taxes per line.

Verizon prepaid still charges insanely high taxes on top of their monthly plans!

ATT gophone prepaid is also a bad deal. Why not go Cricket for $45/month including taxes for 5gb data?

The various MVNO's throttle data speeds to around 6-8 mbps but it's hardly noticeable. The savings are pretty substantial.
Oh I know, I was just throwing out some numbers out there and websites - there are so many MVNO's I didn't even bother listing them. I wouldn't go with Verizon or AT&T either

Old 06-01-2015, 02:05 PM

317 posts, read 1,513,188 times
I don't know why my data usage is so high. I researched it before and read that the iPhone tends to use the cell phone data rather than wifi most of the time. I stream spotify music while driving and Use my gps because I'm driving to new areas. This can be anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours a day. My phone connects to wifi at home it looks like but I think the signal is bad in my bedroom. I'd need the faster internet for work emails, downloading reports, etc

Old 06-01-2015, 02:07 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
I don't know why my data usage is so high. I researched it before and read that the iPhone tends to use the cell phone data rather than wifi most of the time. I stream spotify music while driving and Use my gps because I'm driving to new areas. This can be anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours a day. My phone connects to wifi at home it looks like but I think the signal is bad in my bedroom. I'd need the faster internet for work emails, downloading reports, etc
That's exactly why then. You're using heavy data apps constantly when you're away from WiFi.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:03 PM

317 posts, read 1,513,188 times
Well I really have no way around using my gps on my phone. I am also not a fan of listening to the radio. So i'd prefer to keep the unlimited data. I'm just trying to see how sprint and t mobile plans are with their unlimited data and coverage. Does the companies offer like a test run with the service?i'd hate to cancel my verizon service then end up with terrible service from another carrier.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:57 PM

386 posts, read 605,292 times
hkrn44, use the HERE app - you can download maps to your phone and then use offline GPS navigation. And as others have mentioned, Spotify is the way to go - even a subscription will save you on data costs.

For your travel needs, Sprint and T-Mobile's network is inadequate and I think coming from Verizon you will be frustrated at times with coverage/data speeds.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:27 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
It'd also be a big cost savings to pick up a standalone GPS - get a cheap one at Amazon for less than $100.

Sprint is really bad - I put up with it for years before switching to Verizon because of "unlimited data." I say "unlimited data" because most of the time I couldn't get a signal to use data (nor could I make/receive calls reliably from my house)! I have a Verizon single line plan with unlimited talk/text & 2GB of data that runs me $64 a month. No amount of cost savings (or unlimited data) would get me to switch back to Sprint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary