Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 07:21 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbucci24 View Post
Ok, here it goes. I am a young adult (29) and have a fiancee (25). I currently own my own home in the Pittsburgh, PA area and I have been looking to try out a new city, specifically in the south. I have lived in Pittsburgh my whole life and my fiancee is from Philly. I have a good business work background and have recently been offered a new job in Raleigh downtown. I currently make 55k a year and the job offer is for 67k, my fiance currently makes 50k and just received her CPA certification. Please read below, I am not trying to gloat, just simply stating my lifestyle, as I would like to keep it the same in the new area I move to.

We currently live in a nice suburb of Pittsburgh and it takes us roughly 15 mins to get to downtown. There is a very nice mall within 5 minutes, every store imaginable by it, a country club within walking distance, 2 craft brewery's down the road, grocery store at the bottom of the hill with a mini mall complex, 2 hockey rinks within 5 minutes, and 2 very good high schools within 5 minutes. I am pretty much on the boarded between the two schools. Zillow ranks them a 7 and a 9. I have an updated 1400sqft home with a relatively decent yard, I have .25 acres as the whole lot. This home cost me $125k fully updated, I can leave my front door and cars unlocked if I want to, everyone takes care of their homes, there is a park nearby and I have never heard about any crime in the area. I live with a mix of ages on the street, but the street is becoming much younger, both my neighbors are under 35yr old couples and it seems like more younger people are moving to the area and the older generation is moving out. There is a ton of things to do all within a 5 minute drive and like I said we are 15 mins away from downtown.

I am looking for the same type of neighborhood in the Raleigh area. lots to do around it, with nice shopping, lots of activities, nice up kept areas, virtually no crime, and rising home values (my home has already rose in value by 10k in less than 1 year) and most importantly good schools ( at least a 7 on Zillow).

I have a good life here in Pittsburgh and both our incomes together leave us a good amount of savings as well as the opportunity to go out a to eat 5 or so times a month, go shopping, go on 1-2 vacations a year, have a boat and 3 nicer vehicles.

What areas near Raleigh offer the same type of lifestyle and living areas that I currently have? The home must be at least 3 beds with a yard, updated and be less than 200k. Thank you.
I'm a few years younger than you; I'd move to Pittsburgh from Raleigh in a heartbeat if I had a job offer there. Any city with a little more "old school" neighborhoods and deep family ties would be refreshing compared to what this area has become (basically a discount version of high-end suburban areas of the NYC, DC, Boston, Miami, LA, and Bay Area metro areas). I've lived my whole life in Raleigh/the Triangle (pretty rare) and this area has a lot to offer but is very transient.

I guess the grass is always greener!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 07:50 PM

56 posts, read 62,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I'm a few years younger than you; I'd move to Pittsburgh from Raleigh in a heartbeat if I had a job offer there. Any city with a little more "old school" neighborhoods and deep family ties would be refreshing compared to what this area has become (basically a discount version of high-end suburban areas of the NYC, DC, Boston, Miami, LA, and Bay Area metro areas). I've lived my whole life in Raleigh/the Triangle (pretty rare) and this area has a lot to offer but is very transient.

Hahaha, some one messaged me pretty much the same thing. Pittsburgh is a great city with great sports, anything you can imagine and a very low cost of living and pretty much if you have an income of over 50k, you can own a home in a nice community by yourself. Hence the housing market is going up, jobs are being created and the city is being revitalized. The rivers are great for boating and water sports as well.

Ive just lived here my whole life and want a change of scenery. The weather is the main factor. Its very depressing. as stated it gets between 50-70 days of sunshine. The rest is either overcast, rain, or snow. I would say Fall is the best season here. Other than summer I love September and October around here.

Dont get me wrong, there is a TON of heritage and culture in Pittsburgh. It is starting to become newer, but the roads and a lot of the structures are just too old. its not a high end city at all. Its blue collar and has a blue collar way of thinking. Change is slow.

So, I guess its all to each their own. I really want Tampa, but my fiance is set on not living in Florida.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:31 PM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

The grass is indeed greener on the other side. I am about the OP's age and I have lived in the North east prior to moving here three years back. I went to college in Manhattan and HS a stone's throw away from Manhattan. Lived and worked in a historical New England city for six years. I wish I had moved to Raleigh earlier. Mind you all my family is up north as are most of my college friends. But, I don't miss the high costs, rude people, terrible weather and traffic. Sure, I miss some of the cultural stuff and the family but they are only a flight away. Love Raleigh, bought a home as soon as I moved here.

PS OP I am surprised by the price of your home.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:54 PM

610 posts, read 745,728 times
Welcome from a fellow Yinzer.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:02 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Hahaha, some one messaged me pretty much the same thing. Pittsburgh is a great city with great sports, anything you can imagine and a very low cost of living and pretty much if you have an income of over 50k, you can own a home in a nice community by yourself. Hence the housing market is going up, jobs are being created and the city is being revitalized. The rivers are great for boating and water sports as well.

Ive just lived here my whole life and want a change of scenery. The weather is the main factor. Its very depressing. as stated it gets between 50-70 days of sunshine. The rest is either overcast, rain, or snow. I would say Fall is the best season here. Other than summer I love September and October around here.

Dont get me wrong, there is a TON of heritage and culture in Pittsburgh. It is starting to become newer, but the roads and a lot of the structures are just too old. its not a high end city at all. Its blue collar and has a blue collar way of thinking. Change is slow.

So, I guess its all to each their own. I really want Tampa, but my fiance is set on not living in Florida.
From what you've described, Pittsburgh is more affordable than the Triangle. If you want a change and don't like the cold there, you'd probably like it here, though.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:43 AM

so far after speaking through some people through messages as well as reading the posts, I do have some concerns. I am going down there in 1 month, I will be talking to a realtor and I have tried the best I could to do some reaserch. This whole opportunity kind of came up quick.

-NC income tax is about twice as much as PA's. however I have been told the property taxes are lower. I pay about $2900 a year in property tax.
-The school system doesnt seem to be as organized or good ad up here. The school system here is based off of districts, often 2-3 high schools are within a single zip code. There are not too many private schools here because the public schools are pretty darn good. I have heard from 5 different people and 2 of them ex Pittsburghers that the schooling is a tough nut to crack or Ill have to live in a VERY good area in order to get the same kind of schooling as up here.
-We are a hockey family, we could care less about football, baseball, basketball. Raleigh appeals to me over Charlotte because of the Canes, but what about High schools, do they offer hockey?
-it also seems like I have a better life style up here than I would down there, that is a concern, even with increased salary.

I have to weigh all these factors and I thank everyone who posted and talked to me via messages. Nothing is finalized yet so there is still time to back out, or at leasy maybe look for a monthly rental type situation down there.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:45 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
That housing budget isn't going to put you in Oakwood. Maybe a fixer upper around Mordecai or Belvidere Park. TBH when looking downtown anything under 200k is going to be located in SE Raleigh or farther East then New Bern Ave. I'd like the Caraleigh rd area. It's in transition at the moment. Not too late yet to get a decent place but it will need work. Rents are already over 1k for houses in that area. Previously they were around 600-800.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:57 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
so far after speaking through some people through messages as well as reading the posts, I do have some concerns. I am going down there in 1 month, I will be talking to a realtor and I have tried the best I could to do some reaserch. This whole opportunity kind of came up quick.

-NC income tax is about twice as much as PA's. however I have been told the property taxes are lower. I pay about $2900 a year in property tax.
-
-We are a hockey family, we could care less about football, baseball, basketball. Raleigh appeals to me over Charlotte because of the Canes, but what about High schools, do they offer hockey?
-it also seems like I have a better life style up here than I would down there, that is a concern, even with increased salary.
NC's rate may be twice PA's, but doesn't PA apply it to 100% of income? NC has personal deductions, so your amount of taxes paid won't be twice as much.

What is the assessed value of your house? Property taxes in Raleigh on a $200,000 house would be about $1,900.

There are no hockey teams in the public schools. There are youth and adult hockey leagues, independent of school. If hockey is a big priority, you may be disappointed.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
NC's rate may be twice PA's, but doesn't PA apply it to 100% of income? NC has personal deductions, so your amount of taxes paid won't be twice as much.

What is the assessed value of your house? Property taxes in Raleigh on a $200,000 house would be about $1,900.

There are no hockey teams in the public schools. There are youth and adult hockey leagues, independent of school. If hockey is a big priority, you may be disappointed.

Pa doesnt tax 100% of my income, I have pretax deduction (401k, HSA, health, dental, ect).

I dont know how taxes work in NC but in PA it all depends on the borough you live in and the price of the home. Case in Point, this one area literally boarding my borough is called Mt. lebanon. Its rated a 10 for schools and is proabbly one of the nicest and most affluent areas in pittsburgh. Its property taxes are pretty much double than its surround borough's. My house, if it were in MT lebo, if you could ever find one that cheap, would probably be about $5500 a year in taxes, where mine currently are around $2700 for a pretty nice area and a house that cost $117 (I put 8k into it to make it truly upgraded). Does NC only go by the price of your home and not the area?

I also, kind of figured the hockey scene down there would be pretty lax, which is disappointing. Most HS's in Pittsburgh have hockey programs. And you can find a rink relatively close to anywhere you live.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:55 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Pa doesnt tax 100% of my income, I have pretax deduction (401k, HSA, health, dental, ect).

I dont know how taxes work in NC but in PA it all depends on the borough you live in and the price of the home. Case in Point, this one area literally boarding my borough is called Mt. lebanon. Its rated a 10 for schools and is proabbly one of the nicest and most affluent areas in pittsburgh. Its property taxes are pretty much double than its surround borough's. My house, if it were in MT lebo, if you could ever find one that cheap, would probably be about $5500 a year in taxes, where mine currently are around $2700 for a pretty nice area and a house that cost $117 (I put 8k into it to make it truly upgraded). Does NC only go by the price of your home and not the area?

I also, kind of figured the hockey scene down there would be pretty lax, which is disappointing. Most HS's in Pittsburgh have hockey programs. And you can find a rink relatively close to anywhere you live.
If you're married, filing jointly, the personal exemption is $15,000, so if your income is $50,000, only $35,000 is taxed. And of course pre tax deductions reduce that $50,000 as well.

In general, property taxes in NC are levied by counties and cities. So if you live in Raleigh, you pay the Wake County tax and the city of Raleigh tax. The rates are uniform across the entire county, and entire city. If you live outside a city, you only pay the county tax. The tax value of the home is set by the county, and it is reappraised every 4 to 8 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary