Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,451 times

Advertisements

Hi, My neighbor had a fence installed in the back yard. The company installing the fence determined that where the fence would go was over what we thought was our property line. The homeowners before us installed an invisible fence and irrigation. When I came home the fence I discovered that the company installing the fence had broken an irrigation pipe and the invisible fence line. The installer showed me his where he put the stakes and the property line and I told him that he hit our irrigation and invisible fencing. The neighbors weren't home so I couldn't discuss the issue with them. Later they were very apologetic and said that where the fence goes isn't important and they would have been fine with moving it over. But it is too late now.
I am trying to get the irrigation repaired. How do I determine whose information is the correct? Invisible fence is willing to split the cost of repairing the line which is acceptable to us. The irrigation company isn't wiling to budge on the cost and I need to determine if I should move the whole line over to avoid future issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 06:27 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
Somebody needs a property survey.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:44 PM

715 posts, read 888,632 times
In the good old days of the Triangle we used to clear this kind of stuff over a few beers/ pigpickin so all were on the same page...

Old 06-01-2015, 06:48 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpnc View Post
Hi, My neighbor had a fence installed in the back yard. The company installing the fence determined that where the fence would go was over what we thought was our property line. The homeowners before us installed an invisible fence and irrigation. When I came home the fence I discovered that the company installing the fence had broken an irrigation pipe and the invisible fence line. The installer showed me his where he put the stakes and the property line and I told him that he hit our irrigation and invisible fencing. The neighbors weren't home so I couldn't discuss the issue with them. Later they were very apologetic and said that where the fence goes isn't important and they would have been fine with moving it over. But it is too late now.
I am trying to get the irrigation repaired. How do I determine whose information is the correct? Invisible fence is willing to split the cost of repairing the line which is acceptable to us. The irrigation company isn't wiling to budge on the cost and I need to determine if I should move the whole line over to avoid future issues.
First off, as mentioned, you need a survey.

I would ask, because it sounds like it, why would you have to pay anything to repair damages caused by a 3rd party to your property?

If the stuff isn't on your property it will likely get more complicated.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:20 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,238,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Somebody needs a property survey.
Absolutely. immediately

Old 06-02-2015, 06:27 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
First off, as mentioned, you need a survey.

I would ask, because it sounds like it, why would you have to pay anything to repair damages caused by a 3rd party to your property?

If the stuff isn't on your property it will likely get more complicated.
Yes, and you may have to rip it out.

Let sleeping dogs lie unless you are sure you have not intruded on your neighbor's property.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:57 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,920 times
I'm surprised the installer didn't just fix it to end the situation. I mean it is a tube that you just put a connector on. The hardest part is digging the hole down. and the wire is pretty much the same but an easier fix. If they can install a fence they can do those two things. How are they sure that what they marked as the property line was indeed the property line? Seems they should have done the survey or the homeowner should have. But really this is one of those fixes that they could do for less than $10 in materials versus a few hundred from the "professionals".

Old 06-02-2015, 09:27 AM

86 posts, read 123,602 times
speaking from (a very costly) experience: where you 'think' the property line is and where it actually is can be two completely different things.

Get the installers to fix the damage and you'll be all set. After all, good fences make great neighbors!

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2015, 09:51 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
Everyday it seems, I'm surprised all over again by folks not understanding what a survey is or means when they go installing stuff along the edges of their property.

Either their fence guy is wrong, or your invisible fence/irrigation guys were wrong.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:56 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,540,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
I'm surprised the installer didn't just fix it to end the situation. I mean it is a tube that you just put a connector on. The hardest part is digging the hole down. and the wire is pretty much the same but an easier fix. If they can install a fence they can do those two things. How are they sure that what they marked as the property line was indeed the property line? Seems they should have done the survey or the homeowner should have. But really this is one of those fixes that they could do for less than $10 in materials versus a few hundred from the "professionals".
Agree completely. I would think the fence installer would either a) know how to make these repairs or b) have someone on speed dial who could as I would expect this happens weekly for them, especially since dig safe isnt going to point out sprinklers or dog fences.

When I had a fence installed at my last house, installer cut the cable wire digging one of the holes. He had the TWC guy there in less than an hour to fix the breakage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary