Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:52 PM

298 posts, read 565,159 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about Hedingham Village in NE Raleigh? I know they have townhomes and houses, interested in purchasing a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 05:44 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
If you mean Hedingham near 64 (New Bern Ave), the area is high crime.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:04 PM

188 posts, read 748,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfnme View Post
Anyone know anything about Hedingham Village in NE Raleigh? I know they have townhomes and houses, interested in purchasing a house.
Hedingham is a golf community with a variety of housing options starting with condos/ townhouses to varying sized single family homes. If you are not familiar with the community, you are probably wondering why they homes appear to be cheap. The area was severely over built and the golf course has not been well kept. Due to the decline in the value of homes, the neighborhood has become extremely run down.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:08 AM

110 posts, read 204,042 times
I don't know - I just don't see extemely run down. As someone who lives in Hedingham, we are very happy here. I'm sure some areas of the neighborhood are nicer than others but the single family area that we live in - the houses are very nice and well maintained. I can't really say what the neighborhood used to look like, but I still think it is very nice. As far as crime goes - I know that there have been break-ins in both cars and homes, but I don't really know if any area is immune to that kind of crime in a larger city like Raleigh. For us - buying in Hedingham afforded us a nicer house for our money plus nice ammenities than we could afford in some other neighborhoods. For HOA dues of $38 month, we get 2 swimming pools, newly resurfaced tennis courts, 2 playgrounds, gym membership with free child care, and free golf at certain times. Probably not the best course ever, but decently nice - and can't really argue with free - especially for someone that really doesn't know how to golf! I will agree that some of the area around New Bern Ave is not very nice (The Walmart is terrible) but that is easily solved to us by shopping in other areas like Knightdale and further up Capitol Blvd. All in all, I think it is a very nice family oriented neighborhood where you get a pretty good value for your dollar. I would definately visit any neighborhood that you are considering for yourself and not take anyone's opinion - good or bad - at face value. Visit at night and take a walk, visit during the day. Drive down as many streets as you can and try to get a good feel for yourself.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:07 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Default I like Hedingham.....

My son has owned one of the older Townhomes (circa 1995) for more than 3-1/2 years. We have visited him many times and we really enjoy the neighborhood. My son has never mentioned any crime while living there. The development is quite large and different sections will have a different feel. I don't like the new Townhomes area (circa 2004) for example.

The development has homes ranging from 1200 to 3200 sq ft, including townhomes, small single story homes, and large multi-story homes. Some have rear yards which face the golf course. I blame the current condition of the golf course on the recent drought, the HOA/golf management company has not been able to irrigate the greens and fairways.

Home prices seem to have stalled or retracted there a bit. I blame it on the economy and changing desires of home buyers. The homes are nicely detailed and appointed inside and out, but lot sizes are generally quite small and garages are often only a single stall - even on a larger home. The neighborhood has lots of hills, trees, and mature landscaping, all of which compensate for the small lot sizes in providing screening and privacy.

I am presently negotiating on a job offer in the Raleigh area, if I accept the job my wife and I may be moving from Michigan into Hedingham! My son has said the community is big enough he wouldn't feel crowded by our presence (plus the possibility of free meals and dog sitting services).

The commercial area along Hwy 64 from I-440 to Hedingham Drive is pretty run-down, but new commercial areas on Hwy 64 West of Hedingham Drive towards I-540 and Knightdale are really nice!

I have read all the naysaying comments regarding Hedingham and still like the area. Just don't buy the home my wife and I want!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:14 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Lived in Hedingham many years ago.. our first home.. nice memories, etc..

Home appreciation was terrible at a time when everything else was going up like crazy...

The neighborhood itself is fine, the amenties are nice, the golf course is nice, but the surrounding areas are just plain awful.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
I will say this; When I have an inspection in the older areas of Hedingham, I prepare for lots and lots of notes.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:46 AM

We bought in the older section... first buyers.. in 1989. The area has matured as far as trees, etc. The pools are great, nice play area for the kids, planned activities (Halloween, Easter Egg Hunt, etc.) Not sure if this is still the case.. hope so. I have wonderful memories there... although I do wish we had bought in N. Raleigh (again, due to the overall lack of home appreciation)

There was a big issue years ago about ceramic showers caving in due to code violations, but I bet by now most if not have been fixed.

Heck, there wasn't even a light at the entrance at Willow Oak and New Hope Road.. thats how the traffic patterns have changed.

The homes were built with masonite siding - lots of wood rotting issues if not properly maintained.

Also, homes were built with the polybuteline piping, many got their homes repiped via the lawsuit... the seller should have to disclose poly pipes.. if they haven't been replaced.. buyer beware.

We moved partly due to the increase of section 8 rentals, increase in crime in that part of town, etc. Mini City, in particular has many issues.

Hedingham is the crown jewel on New Hope Road.. I think partly due to the strong HOA, etc. It is certainly what I would call a "value neighborhood." It is east raleigh - its on the "wrong" side of capital blvd.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:55 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
I lived in Mini-City for 8 years. It's downright awful there now. This spills down new Hope Road, and Hedingham also fronts on the 64 area, another high crime locale.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:09 PM

The problems @ Mini City go right up Capital to Triangle Towne Mall. It's totally unsafe at night... especially on the weekends.... .. I hear rumors of gang activity... I think it may be true...

It sounds bizzare.. but I wouldn't be shocked if at some time in the future the mall starts closing at 6:00pm. Plantation Pointe (across the street) is new but only a few tenants..... except for BJ's Wholesalers and a few retaurants...

gee.. I wonder why they have such a high vacancy rate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary