Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,974 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been reading some posts here and have gleaned quite a lot of info already. Thanks to all who have posted!!!

We may be moving to the area in a few months--my husband would like to do a postdoc at UNC Chapel Hill.

My question is this: how much should we expect to pay for housing?

These are my criteria (Hubby may have some to add later, so we'll see about that...)

Family friendly neighborhood: We have 3 kids 6 and under and will need to find an affordable place to live that is within commuting distance. Schools are not an issue b/c I am homeschooling for now, but I would like to be close to a good children's library system, museums, and other "field-trip friendly" places for young kids.

Our mortgage right now is only $650/month for a 1300 sq ft home, so I image we will pay more than we are now, whatever area we end up in. I would like to stay in the same size home or bigger, but we are looking more for location and price than huge or luxurious home. Like anyone else, we like to eat out, etc. but probably not as much as the average 2 income family, so eating establishments, etc. are nice but not essential for us.

I will also be looking for other home schoolers to network with...

any info you have is appreciated as I am just starting this search. So far I've read a lot of good things about SW Durham but am having a hard time determining price range for homes. We would like a detached home with a yard where the kids can play, etc. We own our home now and would rather buy than rent when (if) we move to the area, though we may rent for a while, so it is definitely an option.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 07:35 PM

159 posts, read 608,920 times
Potchergirl,

You can find a lot of average mortgage and home value info at 27713 Zip Code (Durham, North Carolina) Detailed Profile - residents and real estate info. The 27713 zip code is SW Durham (where I live).

Since your husband will be based at UNC, and Chapel Hill can sometimes be a bit high-priced, I would recommend SW Durham for the following reasons:

1) If you want access to museums and more points of interest for field trips, you would do better to be on the eastern side of Chapel Hill so that you could access historic Durham, the museums and attractions of Raleigh, the potteries of Seagrove, etc. I-40 offers great access to most places in the Triangle.

2) Shopping in SW Durham is amazing easy and convenient. There are stores in any price range. (We even have a new Family Dollar opening up in our little grocery strip down the street, and the Homestead shopping center still has a Roses, so don't think everything is as posh as the Streets at South Point!)

3) Even though you're home schooling, there are a lot of families with young children living in 27713 (the elementary schools - Creekside, Southwest, and Hope Valley - are solid), so your kids should have plenty of neighborhood friends.

4) You can usually get more bang for your buck in Durham.

As for homeschooling, I think the group in Chapel Hill has a high profile. Here's a link that you probably already have, but I throw it in anyway. NCHE: North Carolinians for Home Education (broken link) You should be able to get some pointers there about how to join up with others wherever you may settle.

Best wishes in your search!

Old 01-21-2008, 08:01 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
Esperanza gave some great advice. I'd also recommend looking at 27705. Not quite as close to the Southpoint amenities, but would put you right between Chapel Hill and Durham. American Village is a large, family friendly neighborhood with a range of home sizes and prices. There are other nieghborhoods around it that are also nice. You're also very near to the Duke Forest there, with miles of hiking/walking trails through the woods.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:17 AM

6 posts, read 15,614 times
Keep in mind that right now it is a strong buyers market. So most list prices are very negotiable. The Southpoint area of Durham is very accessible to Chapel Hill.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-23-2008 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: Edited to comply with City-Data's Terms of Service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary