Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:25 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherTransplant View Post
Spoken like someone that already has a house!
I'm seeing quite a few nice ones already for sale on realtor.com

Old 06-04-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeCatcher View Post
I think/hope that those lots look too small for residential but I might be wrong.
Just figured it looked relatively prime for commercial and was surprised there wasn't some already (so the ABC store makes sense)
You never know. There's a dinky little parcel that Morrisville is cramming townhouses onto over at Weston and 54. As if that intersection isn't already a hot mess.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I drove down Green Hope School Rd the other day for the first time in many, many months. I was absolutely horrified. If I lived in Highcroft I'd be devastated, and if I lived in Hilliard Forest or whatever that's called I'd be wondering why I made that decision.
The townhouses that back up to GHS Road over in Fryars Gate are UGLY. Ditto that Meritage infill neighborhood.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you know, there's a lot of open space in Cary. Downtown Cary. Looks a whole lot like University Park in Raleigh.
Shush.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
That's someone's home. No, not mine. But it still feels really unkind.

Saying you are horrified by driving through the area is definitely crapping on it.

What's wrong with Hilliard Farms anyway? Holland Farms? The Graystone townhomes? I actually find the traffic from GLCR and GHSR to be more of an issue than the developments around it.
I hate to play Captain Obvious here but the packed in neighborhoods are why the traffic is so bad.

When I say a development is ugly, I'm typically referring to the way the developer laid it out, not the homes themselves (whether or not I'd buy one is another matter).

Some of these developments were created to pack houses in like sardines. They're not at all thoughtfully laid out and I blame Cary for allowing these to be approved.

Not saying they shouldn't exist. People need somewhere to live and many seem fairly obsessed with building new. I dunno. I'm sure there are a variety of reasons including "could not afford new home where they came from" so I totally get it.

I just wish the town would ensure that Cary remains the picturesque place people move here to enjoy.

It can be done, if the planners were thinking with something besides maximum tax revenue quickly gained in mind.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:05 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Can small ponds like that can be filled in and developed over? Is that possible?
Technically, it is possible to build over stormwater management ponds, but very expensive from an engineering and construction standpoint.
The builder has to replace the pond, or actually create a reservoir under the new construction that serves the same function as the pond. Usually the latter is done during initial development, rather than retrofitting.
On a smaller scale, I have seen temporary retention ponds in neighborhoods that are the last lot to be built on. No chance I would want a house built on a site where a temporary pond was filled in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
The ABC store will be by the back entrance off of Towne Village. Where the Christmas tree lot goes.
Right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 05:50 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I hate to play Captain Obvious here but the packed in neighborhoods are why the traffic is so bad.

When I say a development is ugly, I'm typically referring to the way the developer laid it out, not the homes themselves (whether or not I'd buy one is another matter).

Some of these developments were created to pack houses in like sardines. They're not at all thoughtfully laid out and I blame Cary for allowing these to be approved.

Not saying they shouldn't exist. People need somewhere to live and many seem fairly obsessed with building new. I dunno. I'm sure there are a variety of reasons including "could not afford new home where they came from" so I totally get it.

I just wish the town would ensure that Cary remains the picturesque place people move here to enjoy.

It can be done, if the planners were thinking with something besides maximum tax revenue quickly gained in mind.

I agree, it is not about the homes it is the planning. Leave some green around. The town could reduce the density and help the school system and traffic levels. The new Pulte townhome development on Davis and Waldo rood was supposed to have over 100 townhomes when approved in 2008. The new plan is 54!

Old 06-05-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I agree, it is not about the homes it is the planning. Leave some green around. The town could reduce the density and help the school system and traffic levels. The new Pulte townhome development on Davis and Waldo rood was supposed to have over 100 townhomes when approved in 2008. The new plan is 54!
I'm glad they cut it down. Large town home neighborhoods are going to generate far more traffic than the number of SFH you could fit on that same plot of land.

Having more variety/price in housing is good. Creating traffic problems and overcrowded schools is another.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:41 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
The ABC store will be by the back entrance off of Towne Village. Where the Christmas tree lot goes.
Any idea whether this ABC store will take the entire grassy lot there or just part of it?
I am probably in the minority but I honestly wouldn't mind if a gas station went in there...

Old 06-05-2015, 09:14 AM

66 posts, read 77,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Any idea whether this ABC store will take the entire grassy lot there or just part of it?
I am probably in the minority but I honestly wouldn't mind if a gas station went in there...
I was wondering the same, if the store will occupy the entire lot. Perhaps they plan additional parking.
Personally I was hoping for something less run-of-the-mill than an ABC store or a gas station
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary