Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:35 AM

580 posts, read 709,505 times

Advertisements

I have started getting estimates for doing over my master bath.
Keeping same layout but gutting it.
I am kind of shocked by the estimates I am receiving.
I thought I could get it around $15,000 but getting some estimates in the $25,000 + range! I am not looking at anything high end either.

Is that what master baths cost now?

Also kind of surprised for what they are telling me for my kids bathroom. Getting ranges around $12,000 and it is not a large space!

It is so not worth putting that kind of money into my bathrooms.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 08:50 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,574,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
I have started getting estimates for doing over my master bath. ...
More details, please. How large is the room? Do you want lots of tile? High-end cabinetry? Etc.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:51 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,591,199 times
I had a handyman install a new vanity, toilet & vinyl flooring in my bathroom. I don't think I spent more than $1K total, plus a bit of money to painters. My tub is in good shape, so really the only thing I need is a new surround in that bathroom. So, you might consider splitting the job up among the different trades rather than go for a "complete remodel" which as you found out can be quite pricey.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:10 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,663,571 times
I paid $7k for my old fiberglass shower to be removed and replaced with a hand built basin, tiled shower with frameless glass surround, and heated tiled floor. New quartz countertop and sinks($800). On my own: new toilet ($300), two stage crown molding ($200), refinished vanity ($80), new lighting ($300), new medicine cabinets ($300). This is a galley type bathroom, maybe 13 x 7. Costs go up quickly.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:17 AM

528 posts, read 930,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I paid $7k for my old fiberglass shower to be removed and replaced with a hand built basin, tiled shower with frameless glass surround, and heated tiled floor.
C_Lan, do you happen to know what the cost was just to replace the shower surround (pull out the old one, install and the cost for the new one? (or does anyone else reading this know a ballpark to have an old glass shower surround removed and replaced w/ a new one). Thx.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
C_Lan, do you happen to know what the cost was just to replace the shower surround (pull out the old one, install and the cost for the new one? (or does anyone else reading this know a ballpark to have an old glass shower surround removed and replaced w/ a new one). Thx.
My mom just did it- she used my amazing glass guy it was around $1,500.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
More details, please. How large is the room? Do you want lots of tile? High-end cabinetry? Etc.

My mater is probably around 12x10. Guessing since I am not there right now.
Gut it- we have builder white tile and brass. Will keep same layout.
Frameless shower, tile shower.
Take out old tub- love it- it is a huge corner one but I know it will look "old" with everything else being replaced. Replace with nice size garden tub.
Nice cabinetry- but not high end.
Not sure what people are using for countertops in bathrooms- granite?
Replace toilet.
New tile floor.
New fixtures.
New mirrors.

Thanks!

Old 06-11-2015, 12:16 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,663,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
Unfortunately I don't. The shower redo was quoted as part of the tile work. Nice thing was that since it was hand built I was able to expand a little bit and not have to go with the old pre-fab size. From what I remember the frameless glass and install was $1500. I had a hip wall as part of the original design and we kept that and had the glass guy place the glass on the outer edge of the hip wall. that extra 4" in that direction made a noticeable difference. If you are considering doing tile work in this remodel I highly recommend a heated floor. it only costs in the hundreds to add and is so worth it!

Old 06-11-2015, 12:48 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,574,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
I am kind of shocked by the estimates I am receiving.
I suggest you get a bid on the job from ...
Wake Remodeling
Luke Dobbins, owner
123 N Salem St
Apex NC 27502
(919) 272-0048
Kitchen, Bathroom Remodel, Custom Deck - Wake Remodeling

Luke Dobbins did a similar master bath re-do for a good friend and I observed the work, start to finish.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:02 PM

3,667 posts, read 6,554,309 times
In the past I paid $15k for a bathroom remodeling but that involved vaulting the ceiling, adding a skylight and moving supply and drain lines. Plus my wife developed unusually expensive tastes, not her normal thing. It was a smaller space but that shouldn't impact the price significantly.

My recommendation for the majority is to pay someone to do the hard stuff, do the simpler things yourself and cut the cost down significantly. I did a simple bathroom makeover in 2013 and it cost about $3k between materials and skilled labor (I demoed the space and did my own tiling and painting but paid someone to install the new tub and handle the drywall work).

And if that exceeds your comfort level, consider being your own general contractor and parse out the different pieces. I did that for another room renovation and it cost way less than a one-stop-shopping project would have.

Last edited by NYC2RDU; 06-11-2015 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary