Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 03:19 PM

510 posts, read 898,406 times

Advertisements

Look up "national electric code" or NEC....not sure if this is it or not

http://www.electricalcodecoalition.o...ec-access.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 03:21 PM

5,827 posts, read 6,890,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WowNoWay View Post
Can anyone tell me where these codes are documented? I looked on the city website and there are a number of free publications that provide coding rules, but I am unable to find this specific rule. As before, I want to ensure to have this completed in a way that meets code and is safe.

Am I to understand that even if I have the supply wire replaced between the meter and the panel in order to have the prerequisite 4 wires and then have a shut off installed at the meter that my house would still be in violation because the panel was not relocated?
Here is the code - NFPA 70: National Electrical Code®. It is updated every three years. Each AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) eg city, county, etc may supplement or change the requirements.

The latest version I have (2008) did not specifiy a specific distance. Another poster noted it is now 3 feet, so I assume the 2011 or 2014 version changed that.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:10 PM

15,701 posts, read 17,004,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WowNoWay View Post
I believe that this was what the electrician initially proposed and the way I would ideally like to go. However he said that on further inspection it would not be possible because this set up would require a grounding wire on the supply wire that runs between the meter and the fuse box. I believe this is where the whole 3 wire verses 4 wire dilemma came up. As I understand it, the fourth wire is typically a grounding wire that the older, embedded supply wire does not currently have.

Assuming I am properly interpreting the problem, can anyone confirm that this lack of grounding wire would also be something to require a complete replacement of that supply wire?

Thanks for everyone's feedback--very helpful. I still have a hard time believing that this problem is unique for me. Aren't there older homes out there that have existed for decades with a distance greater than 3 feet between meter and fuse box, possibly without a meter base without a built in breaker, without any problems?
My house was built in 1973 with the breaker/fuse box on a wall in the basement.

In 1983 a 30' x 30' garage was added onto the house. The meter was moved to the far end of the garage. Wiring runs under the garage floor to the original breaker box in the basement.

So, the meter is about 31' and a few inches from the fuse box.

I have never had any problems and never knew it was supposed to be a safety issue until reading this thread. Am I going to worry about it now? Nope.

There is no breaker in the meter base that I know of, was there even such a thing in 1983? I don't know anything about this stuff. I just know there is a regular old, single meter on the outside of the garage and a pipe going from the meter, down the wall, under the garage to the fuse box in the basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: