Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 09:24 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
... Yes, we are already into the thousands in repairs, with more to go. I spoke to an attorney who specializes in construction law, and she felt that our "damages" at this point were not at an amount where it made sense to hire an attorney to file a civil suit.
Don't forget the intermediate step of a Small Claims Court suit. Have your attorney write a letter threatening this step.

Quote:
... I have contacted the builder, and we have an extensive trail of email regarding these issues dating back to when we first discovered the problems during our home warranty. They stated that they're not legally responsible, ...
Since they've lied to you several times, it's no surprise that they claim they're not responsible.

Quote:
... I'm definitely going to threaten to contact the NC Contractors Licensure Board if they aren't willing to reimburse us. I've confirmed with the City Inspections Department that flashing is a code item with no time limit and the builder is responsible.

We're also considering threatening to go to the media (Five on Your Side, the N&O). They are getting ready to start a new development that the N&O reported on the day we found out how bad our damage was, so I'm sure they wouldn't want the negative publicity. ...
These are all excellent moves or threats. Add to that, hit them on social media, Facebook and any other site that allows you to state facts which could hurt their business. (And remember, facts, not rants!)

NC Dept of Justice has a scam and fraud department that might help. file a complaint about the lies and misrepresentation of their Warranty. Home Warranties

Your biggest hurdle isn't to prove to the builder that you were wronged, it is to prove to them that you won't go away.

Also, a similar experience I had educated me on a point: The builder doesn't want to argue construction methodologies, he want's an offer, counter offer, etc. This is a negotiation, consisting of an offer and counter, and counter-counter, etc.

Evaluate all about the damages and repairs and come up with a dollar number that you think is a fair estimate to make it all as it should have been.
Give that number to your lawyer. He will ask for a gob more, and bargain down, using your other steps above as leverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 10:14 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
These are all excellent moves or threats. Add to that, hit them on social media, Facebook and any other site that allows you to state facts which could hurt their business. (And remember, facts, not rants!)
Clark Howard recommends picketing outside their sales office on a Saturday (preferably with cute kids in tow). Again, only present facts and check the requirements for picketing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: