Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 04:40 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times

Advertisements

Smaller class sizes = more classrooms needed. Who's going to pay for building those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 04:43 PM

379 posts, read 748,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And when a Mitt pays $7,000,000 in income tax in a year, the people selling class warfare tell those they hold down to get their votes, "He should pay his fair share!"
"Class warfare" is a Fox News talking point, and hyperbole, and you should know better than to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I don't pay $7,000,000 for anything, and I'm not jealous of Mitt, and I would not lie to poor folks merely curry votes and to advance my career in political games.
It's quite the assumption to say that such people are lying.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:57 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Our tax codes do need to be rewritten, but it's not because the poor, rich folks are struggling.
Any tax code that is so complex that you get different results from professional tax companies is too complex. I'm all for a progressive tax, but it should be so simple that you don't need to file your taxes to cover paying what is owed. What we have now is a travesty, and by many accounts one of the most corrupt tax codes in the world. And that is never a good thing.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:59 PM

379 posts, read 748,878 times
Quote:
I have to agree with Myghost on this one. The amount of taxes paid by the very wealthy account for pretty much no change in their way of life or access to opportunities.

This is not true of the average citizen OR the poor in our country.
EXACTLY. And *that* is why taxing the rich at a higher rate is the right thing to do.

Second, the rich make their money on the backs of society. They use society's roads, bridges, markets, systems, etc. When you're successful, the social contract says you pay it back so the next guy has a shot.

Further, the idea that Mitt Romney deserves billions because he knows how to trade securities a certain way is absurd. Did he really work that much harder than, say, a North Carolina school teacher? Does he really, ethically, deserve that much more money? Absolutely not.

What this country needs, frankly, is a return to the pre-Reagan era where we were taxing the rich at 90+ percent (for the highest progressive bracket). People don't like the term "wealth redistribution", and Mike prefers to follow Fox News's advice and call it "class warfare," but the reality is that wealth redistribution is what creates the middle class and drives the economy.

Mitt Romney sitting on billions by his pool, not even knowing how much he's worth within a million on any given day, does not drive the economy. And it's not fair. (And, no, I'm not envious of him. I would never hoard wealth while millions in the world are starving.)

Old 06-22-2015, 05:34 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp38393 View Post
Do you seriously not look for every 'loophole' or deduction that you can to lower your tax burden? Of course you do, we all do. But it is only wrong when the evil billionaire does it.

Also, he was double taxed for a huge chunk of his income. 35% corporate tax, then his income tax. But, I am sure you will say that I am a mindless sheep who is blindly supporting the rich because of fox news, and that I am doing so to my own detriment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
We should distinguish looking for loopholes and creating them. Billionaires hire lobbyists; the ordinary taxpayer does not.

Billionaire investor Warren Buffett says the deck is stacked in favor of the very wealthy. He thinks that isn't right and says "Tax Me More."
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/15/op...uper-rich.html

Thank you, daniel.

dp38393? See daniel's comment.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:35 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by static_g View Post
EXACTLY. And *that* is why taxing the rich at a higher rate is the right thing to do.

Second, the rich make their money on the backs of society. They use society's roads, bridges, markets, systems, etc. When you're successful, the social contract says you pay it back so the next guy has a shot.

Further, the idea that Mitt Romney deserves billions because he knows how to trade securities a certain way is absurd. Did he really work that much harder than, say, a North Carolina school teacher? Does he really, ethically, deserve that much more money? Absolutely not.

What this country needs, frankly, is a return to the pre-Reagan era where we were taxing the rich at 90+ percent (for the highest progressive bracket). People don't like the term "wealth redistribution", and Mike prefers to follow Fox News's advice and call it "class warfare," but the reality is that wealth redistribution is what creates the middle class and drives the economy.

Mitt Romney sitting on billions by his pool, not even knowing how much he's worth within a million on any given day, does not drive the economy. And it's not fair. (And, no, I'm not envious of him. I would never hoard wealth while millions in the world are starving.)
You and are are in agreement. Believe me, when I start making so much money that I cannot tell you how much I have because I have so much money, I certainly won't get upset when I am required to pay more taxes than the working poor, I can promise you that.

It would feel vulgar and disgusting to me.

Come to think of it, I pay way more than they do now and I'm not upset that I do. I make more.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:40 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
We should distinguish looking for loopholes and creating them. Billionaires hire lobbyists; the ordinary taxpayer does not.

Billionaire investor Warren Buffett says the deck is stacked in favor of the very wealthy. He thinks that isn't right and says "Tax Me More."
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/15/op...uper-rich.html

Exactly, and so many people fail to see that the ordinary taxpayer is bearing the brunt even it the total paid a billionaire is more.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:05 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by static_g View Post

Mike does not listen to or watch Fox News. Hell, Mike is a Democrat all his life. But when a label fits, it fits.
Lying to people to fish on the bottom for votes, fanning flames of envy, depending on a broad lack of financial sophistication and economic ignorance is a clear battle plan for class warfare, or even something more despicable.

90% taxation? And some people wonder why money sits off-shore. The pitchforks and torches superstition crowd business model: Run billions in capital offshore and whine about it for political leverage with the constituency.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Well, he should. If his "fair share" under our current system is being skirted by tax loopholes, those loopholes need closing.

I'm confident that closing them won't break his piggybank.

There is no "fair," except in terms of political leverage. "Fair" is always a contrivance and a political football for the fan base. "Mom, it ain't fair!"

It is none of my business whatsoever what Mitt or Hillary have in their piggybanks.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
You and are are in agreement. Believe me, when I start making so much money that I cannot tell you how much I have because I have so much money, I certainly won't get upset when I am required to pay more taxes than the working poor, I can promise you that.

It would feel vulgar and disgusting to me.

Come to think of it, I pay way more than they do now and I'm not upset that I do. I make more.

It is good to have moral standards and hopes for personal behavior. I would feel vast wealth as a personal burden, and would hope also to have a level head about it.

It is less good when shameless profiteering "leaders" encourage people to snivel about other folks' situations, when only hoping to turn the sniveling into votes.
That is what perpetrating class warfare and the politics of greed, envy, and entitlement have reduced too many "leaders" to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary