Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:09 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,590,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
... Harris Teeter's prices seem to be going up quite a bit lately.
Their store brand American cheese is now $7.99 per pound.
HT ran a Buy One, Get One Free sale on their American Cheese last week (i.e. 6/24/15-6/30/15). The cynical shopper might deduce that they increased the price to offset the BOGO markdown.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 08:16 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
HT ran a Buy One, Get One Free sale
I still can not get my wife to realize that, in almost all cases, BOGO does not mean you have to get two items. Just buy the one at 50% off.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:40 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I still can not get my wife to realize that, in almost all cases, BOGO does not mean you have to get two items. Just buy the one at 50% off.
I learned that working at Food Lion years ago. You wouldn't believe how well that marketing ploy works. Over half the people would buy 2 of each item. Sometimes they would complain that they didn't really need 2 and I would give them the spiel about how you don't have too get both. Most were completely unaware. Ignorance is bliss and critical thinking is what really separates the savvy shopper.

The only time I ever see it work differently is with can soda sales. If it says you have to buy 5 you have to buy 5. However the signs posted clearly state the rule in comparison to sales that do not require a minimum purchase. Same thing with Krogers buy 10 mix and match. You must buy 10 items that qualify.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:56 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I learned that working at Food Lion years ago. You wouldn't believe how well that marketing ploy works. Over half the people would buy 2 of each item. Sometimes they would complain that they didn't really need 2 and I would give them the spiel about how you don't have too get both. Most were completely unaware. Ignorance is bliss and critical thinking is what really separates the savvy shopper.

The only time I ever see it work differently is with can soda sales. If it says you have to buy 5 you have to buy 5. However the signs posted clearly state the rule in comparison to sales that do not require a minimum purchase. Same thing with Krogers buy 10 mix and match. You must buy 10 items that qualify.
Allowing someone to buy only one in a BOGO promotion seems to be unique to this area, or at least not true in all areas of the country. I have shopped in several other cities on a regular basis (Phila, DC, South Florida) at Giant, Safeway, Acme, Publix and in all of those stores, you MUST buy two. I remember when Harris-Teeter came to the DC market and I learned that you could just buy one in a BOGO, and I was surprised.

In any case, this was at the deli counter, and if there was any type of promotion on their American cheese last week, it was not posted. I did see, however, that it is "on sale" this week for $5.99 per pound, which used to be their regular price.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Allowing someone to buy only one in a BOGO promotion seems to be unique to this area, or at least not true in all areas of the country. I have shopped in several other cities on a regular basis (Phila, DC, South Florida) at Giant, Safeway, Acme, Publix and in all of those stores, you MUST buy two. I remember when Harris-Teeter came to the DC market and I learned that you could just buy one in a BOGO, and I was surprised.

In any case, this was at the deli counter, and if there was any type of promotion on their American cheese last week, it was not posted. I did see, however, that it is "on sale" this week for $5.99 per pound, which used to be their regular price.
Seems like my manager told me it was a legal issue. What the law is,or if he told me correctly IDK. But I know for a fact that any FL or Harris Tester bogo can be purchased singularly unless otherwise stated.

According to Wikipedia it is standard practice to raise prices on an item included in a Bogo sale. So DanielbMartin your cheese theory is correct.

Last edited by cyn7cyn; 07-02-2015 at 03:04 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 02:56 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:

Yeah exactly. Here in Florida at Publix you have to get both. Being able to buy one at 50 percent off sounds a lot better.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yeah exactly. Here in Florida at Publix you have to get both. Being able to buy one at 50 percent off sounds a lot better.
Maybe it actually is a legal issue because according to what I read online Publix in NC allows you to purchase one at half the price. I would think store policies would be the same nationally. Evidence proves they are not. Anyone know what law this falls under?

Old 07-02-2015, 04:03 PM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Maybe it actually is a legal issue because according to what I read online Publix in NC allows you to purchase one at half the price. I would think store policies would be the same nationally. Evidence proves they are not. Anyone know what law this falls under?
HT in Florida seems to operate the same as here, where the ads note "Item Rings at Half Price". I went to their web page and found a store in Florida. Here is one of the items from the local ad:

#34 Shops at Amelia Market
4800 First Coast Highway
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034

Earthbound Farm Organic Spinach or Spring Mix - 5 oz

Buy 1, Get 1 Free
Item Rings at Half Price

Old 07-02-2015, 04:10 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
HT in Florida seems to operate the same as here, where the ads note "Item Rings at Half Price". I went to their web page and found a store in Florida. Here is one of the items from the local ad:

#34 Shops at Amelia Market
4800 First Coast Highway
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034

Earthbound Farm Organic Spinach or Spring Mix - 5 oz

Buy 1, Get 1 Free
Item Rings at Half Price
It's possible that since HT is based in NC and (I believe) has more NC locations than FL, that it's easier for the NC policies to stand across the board?

Old 07-03-2015, 06:35 AM

Ok I did some further digging about the sales(I really need to get a life). According to information on the Krazy coupon lady site it is illegal in some states to require a certain number of items be purchased to receive discount. Pennsylvania was the only one mentioned in the article. They also advise that the key words to look for if unsure is "must buy".

Sorry for this commercial break. Now back to Wegmens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary