Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:39 PM

25 posts, read 71,021 times

Advertisements

Hi, After canvassing the area for the past week, we have narrowed it down to 3 subdivisions: Crenshaw Hall in Wake Forest, Bedford, and Wakefield.

We loved the vibe in Crenshaw Hall but I hear the traffic is horrendous down Capital Blvd. We love Bedford and have even found a couple of homes that would be a great fit for our family but they are districted to Durant Middle School (we'll be coming in with a rising 7th grader) and I haven't heard great things about that school. That leaves us with Wakefield which is a beautiful neighborhood, but doesn't seem as warm as Bedford and still has traffic issues. However, we would be districted to Wakefield Middle which seems to be a great school (at least according to Cyberspace ), and the few houses we like would be within walking distance from the school which makes us think that it would be a much more stable assignment than if we lived in Bedford.

Does anyone have any information/insight on those two schools? What are the pros and cons of each school accademically and/or in terms of electives, teachers, and administration?

Thanks for your 2 cents
Emma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 11:47 PM

121 posts, read 410,557 times
Are you sure that the houses you are looking at in Bedford are assigned to Durant Middle. It looks like a small handful are, but most are assigned to Wakefield. May be worthwhile to double check.

We are moving into Bedford with a to be 7th grader as well and he will be going to Wakefield.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:48 AM

29 posts, read 94,251 times
I'm just making a quick response in regards to the traffic down Capitol. I live in Crenshaw Hall and depending on the time of day it really isn't bad...plus there are other avenues to getting around. My husband usually heads down 98 then takes 50 to 540. Or you can go down Falls of Neuse or 98 to six forks. There are certainly different possiblities depending on where you are headed. We moved here about a year ago from Northern Virginia so we are coming with that frame of reference... the traffic (even Capitol) is nothing compared to NOVA!!

Good Luck!

Old 01-28-2008, 07:36 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,565 times
Don't buy in Crenshaw Hall.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 19,218 times
what's wrong with crenshaw hall?

Old 01-29-2008, 07:03 AM

Crenshaw Hall is OK..
The poster is considering Bedford and Wakefield. Both are beautiful neighborhoods. I believe home appreciation/reputation has been much, much better in Wakefield and Bedford vs. Crenshaw Hall.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 AM

"We are moving into Bedford with a to be 7th grader as well and he will be going to Wakefield"

I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.. Wake County Public Schools change school districts yearly. Wakefield Middle is bursting at the seams.. seems like there are more trailers there every year. Wakefield High School is slated to be the largest school in Wake County again next year... projected enrollment may approach 3,000 students. I have friends with children at WMS... it isn't as great as everybody thinks. All schools in Wake County have excellent and mediocre teachers.... and Wake County must adjust the districts constantly to fill new schools, or make adjustments to keep a certain number of free/reduced students at a particular school. Durant Middle's reputation has declined over the years, although I'm sure they have some excellent teachers too.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:38 PM

25 posts, read 71,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwannabe2 View Post
Are you sure that the houses you are looking at in Bedford are assigned to Durant Middle. It looks like a small handful are, but most are assigned to Wakefield. May be worthwhile to double check.

We are moving into Bedford with a to be 7th grader as well and he will be going to Wakefield.
I double checked after your post, and it does look that way. I wonder if it's because it's a street that's not fully built, so maybe those new homes can't go to Wakefield because of overcrowding already.

When we were there last week, we did tour Wakefield (just in case we changed our mind about Bedford) and the 7th grade advisor seemed wonderful! Our son left really wanting to go there (It might not have been such a wise move on our part since we weren't able to see Durant MS).

Old 06-01-2010, 01:58 PM

22 posts, read 80,059 times
This is an old thread, but we have the same question- we have the choice of Durant Middle or Wakefield Middle in our area. Does anyone have more current feedback on these 2 schools?

Old 06-01-2010, 03:28 PM

260 posts, read 545,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgal4 View Post
This is an old thread, but we have the same question- we have the choice of Durant Middle or Wakefield Middle in our area. Does anyone have more current feedback on these 2 schools?
My daughter is just finishing up 8th grade at Wakefield Middle. We've been extremely pleased with the school and the teachers. Yes, it's big. That's a bit of a problem, but my daughter hasn't suffered at all. Her teachers are all wonderful and really seem to get to know the kids in their classes. I don't really know that much about Durant Middle, even though my neighborhood is currently redistricted there. We chose to be grandfathered to Wakefield Middle for her 8th grade year for the sake of consistency.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary