Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 01:07 PM

360 posts, read 516,568 times

Advertisements

I do the Weston area greenways at work during the day. There is a lot of shade/they stay cooler. I don't know about 3 miles, though, since I do shorter walks... but from the map that seems possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 01:19 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Our personal experince with Black Creek is it is awesome and shady and hard to believe it is in the middle of where it is. Except for a couple small places you have to get on a street for a few hundred feet, it is all in the deep wood ravines between subdivisions. My wife and I have been on it dozens of times. Also the Weston Greenways as well.
I am not trying to be argumentative, or a "know it all", but the one glaring exception to this is the part where it runs up Dynasty Road. It's (I'm guessing) a quarter mile, but it's up a big hill and down another (so up and down in either direction). I can't speak about the shade, because I bike the greenway so I usually just skip this part by using other routes. Anyway, I wanted to point that out to the OP, as it is not obvious on a map, and I know several people don't love this one section.

Otherwise this post is spot on. Crabtree park to Dynasty is flat, shady and beautiful, and the area going into Bond Park is really nice too. Bond Park is almost like a hub of several Cary Greenways, offering a lot of variety and options to go different ways each time if you park there.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I am not trying to be argumentative, or a "know it all", but the one glaring exception to this is the part where it runs up Dynasty Road. It's (I'm guessing) a quarter mile, but it's up a big hill and down another (so up and down in either direction). I can't speak about the shade, because I bike the greenway so I usually just skip this part by using other routes. Anyway, I wanted to point that out to the OP, as it is not obvious on a map, and I know several people don't love this one section.

Otherwise this post is spot on. Crabtree park to Dynasty is flat, shady and beautiful, and the area going into Bond Park is really nice too. Bond Park is almost like a hub of several Cary Greenways, offering a lot of variety and options to go different ways each time if you park there.
Agreed. One thing that lamishra could do to avoid the part that runs up Dynasty is to park at the North Cary kid's park, and then take the greenway from behind there and go up to Dynasty, and back down toward Lake Crabtree, or vice versa. Nothing but shade, for the most part. It runs behind our neighborhood.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:02 PM

703 posts, read 780,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Our personal experince with Black Creek is it is awesome and shady and hard to believe it is in the middle of where it is. Except for a couple small places you have to get on a street for a few hundred feet, it is all in the deep wood ravines between subdivisions. My wife and I have been on it dozens of times. Also the Weston Greenways as well.
I agree with this assessment 100%.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:57 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

I haven't measured it, but that Dynasty dr section is one of the ones I was talking about and it is by far the crappiest section for sure and it's made worse by a big hill in the middle. There is some more street sidewalk sections by the Lowes on Maynard.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:11 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
I don't think it runs very far, but it's definitely mostly shady - think it's White Oak Greenway, you can pick it up at White Oak Park off Jenks Carpenter Road and it runs through Park Village. You can pick it up earlier in West Park subdivision - park at the tennis courts and walk in the direction of the pond, cross Parkscene Lane where you see the greenway sign and continue on and then cross Jenks Carpenter and through the park and then on into Park Village. It comes out on Davis Drive.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:27 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,979 times
If you do all the trails, which will have you repeat a few short common sections, Hemlock Bluffs is nice. Some serious long strep hilly sections make it "walk longer" and it is all heavily shaded. If you brave the sun for a hundred yards or so, the sidewalk connects the park to the Swift Creek Greenway

Old 06-23-2015, 05:54 PM

513 posts, read 695,705 times
Little out of the way, but I like the New Hope overlook trail at Jordan Lake in Apex NC. Fits all your needs with the exception of the paved part. Not sure why you would prefer paved either? Either way, New Hope has a 2.7 mile loop and a longer one at 5.5.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:50 PM

528 posts, read 935,103 times
Hemlock Bluffs is nice and shady but you'd have to do laps to get in the mileage you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary