Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 02:10 PM

195 posts, read 286,117 times

Advertisements

There's a house at the end of our cul-de-sac which is across the street from the AT&T node. Anyone who gets Uverse in our cul-de-sac ends up going through her yard which means it gets dug up every single time. They have a beautiful lawn normally which hides where they buried it the last time. AT&T has no maps or anything telling the next crew where the lines are buried. They just figure it out based on eyeballing. I had to go out to them last time to explain it all. They were about to dig up the wrong yard to look for the buried lines. I should take a screenshot of our cul-de-sac and draw where the lines are buried and give it to them as a handout the next time they show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 04:28 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Judging by what they did in my father in laws neighborhood, ATT is way less careful about their work than google and instead of doing all directional drilling or the mole systems, they will dig the road up and patch it back crappily, half at a time.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:51 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
AT&T dug up my yard in about 9 different places to run the main fiber lines - no exaggeration last April. They still have not repaired the damage or buried the lines that are all over the street gutter and crossing the street to various house throughout the neighborhood. It's been an ongoing battle that no one wants to take responsibility for. The street cleaner doesn't even come to our subdivision anymore because the lines get caught in the brushes and tear them off of homes they're connected to. I've even gone to the mayor and city manager who keep getting the run around too.

I wouldn't subscribe to them if you paid me. I'll stick w/TWC and wait for Google. Unfortunately, when Google comes through they will dig too, but at least they've hired a landscaping company to do the restoration when they're done. AT&T is relying on the myriad of contractors who dig the holes, run the fiber etc., and that's not something they care to do, no matter what they say when they start the work (We'll reseed or even put down sod if the seed doesn't take. Total BS!)

Old 12-28-2015, 10:59 PM

222 posts, read 403,941 times
Is this map up to date?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...s.kBW0oJ16isvE

How many miles out does a fiber hut support connectivity?

If we got a t-shirt? Will we ultimately get service with GF?

Old 12-29-2015, 07:06 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
That map is not official or anything, just updated based on permits and visual observations.

I think Google has said that a fiber hut supports about 20,000 homes, but they've never reported any specs or distance figures.

I know they didn't send shirts to people outside the area they planned to serve, like Wake Forest and Apex, but since they report almost nothing, it's hard to know how granular they were. I think they used their database to make the determination, so it's certainly better to have a shirt than to have been denied one.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:26 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,932 times
Husband said that he saw a Google Fiber truck driving up and down our street (just off Wade Ave near Whole Foods) this morning. We did get a T-shirt earlier this year so progress is being made!

Old 12-29-2015, 04:52 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
I saw a guy in a neon vest that said "Google Fiber Contractor" working on Dixie Trail today. Others in our neighborhood have talked to contractors who say it will likely be 6 months. (for our neighborhood)

Old 12-31-2015, 07:24 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdonkey View Post
Is this map up to date?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...s.kBW0oJ16isvE

How many miles out does a fiber hut support connectivity?

If we got a t-shirt? Will we ultimately get service with GF?
It depends on the scenario but when I worked for Verizon Business I seem to recall that the equipment used to regenerate optical signals was spaced out every thirty miles or so. However, I believe the standard is 100km now.

Just a random thought, it's probably a good idea to buy property near a fiber hut given that working remote will become much more prevalent in the future?

Old 12-31-2015, 09:50 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
It depends on the scenario but when I worked for Verizon Business I seem to recall that the equipment used to regenerate optical signals was spaced out every thirty miles or so. However, I believe the standard is 100km now.

Just a random thought, it's probably a good idea to buy property near a fiber hut given that working remote will become much more prevalent in the future?
I don't think you need to live near a hut, just close enough to have fiber service.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:28 AM

142 posts, read 179,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
I don't think you need to live near a hut, just close enough to have fiber service.
Yeah, the equipment is available to get anyone service. The biggest dependent factor is whether your neighborhood has been selected to have the requisite infrastructure installed. There are no serious technical limitations for distance, if it's too far for a single non-repeated/regenerated signal and they want to provide service, there are many solutions to make it happen.

If we service in the Triangle by this summer, I'll be ecstatic (says the guy with GF conduit running through his yard!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary