Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 01:28 PM

79 posts, read 142,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
It does seem to be very crew or subcontractor specific. Google also seems to have some great and some horrible experiences.
This is spot on. Google Fiber has crews working in my neighborhood about a mile north of Crabtree Valley Mall for I'd say 3 months at least. Neighbors have spoken to them, and it's a crew down from Michigan doing work. To say they're moving at a snail's pace would be giving them a lot of credit. In 3 month's time, they have basically laid the orange conduit on one side of one street... and it's still not done. Maybe 25 houses long in all? They did extend down one other street for 2 houses - and cut my neighbor's AT&T line. He was out of service for 10 days.

A crew is back today, painting my lawn (to mark for utilities) right now for the fifth time. Why? Because they paint, no activity, and of course the paint fades.

Actually just went and talked to the guy. Nice local Raleigh guy painting this time and gave me the scoop. He's painting for AT&T now. He seemed to think they'd be moving faster than Google. He looked in the orange conduit Google laid in 3 months, and there's not even fiber in it - just empty conduit. I said it would've been nice if Google and AT&T could work together to dig up the lawns just once. He laughed and said, "Oh, they (Google) tried! Google tried to work together and coordinate digging the same lines and split equipment cost. AT&T said no."

Another reason to punt AT&T when Google Fiber is finally lit up.... 5 years from now! ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 11:29 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Google adding phone service to Fiber for $10/month.

Google Fiber Blog: Introducing Fiber Phone

Old 03-29-2016, 12:39 PM

79 posts, read 142,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoooHooo! View Post
Actually just went and talked to the guy. Nice local Raleigh guy painting this time and gave me the scoop. He's painting for AT&T now. He seemed to think they'd be moving faster than Google. He looked in the orange conduit Google laid in 3 months, and there's not even fiber in it - just empty conduit. I said it would've been nice if Google and AT&T could work together to dig up the lawns just once. He laughed and said, "Oh, they (Google) tried! Google tried to work together and coordinate digging the same lines and split equipment cost. AT&T said no."

Another reason to punt AT&T when Google Fiber is finally lit up.... 5 years from now! ;-)
Holy cow - my lawn-painting friend was right! AT&T crews hit our neighborhood yesterday. They laid conduit all the way down our longest street (that's taken Google 3 months and still not complete), down a side street and into our cul de sac - in less than 2 days!

I have no love for the standard rip-off cable companies, but Google needs to get their field guys up to speed. This crew is putting Google's slow-poke crews to shame.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:48 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,988,329 times
AT&T is digging up our yard today, despite having dug us up twice last year. The lawn painter was around on Saturday and he said AT&T screwed up and didn't put in the drops when they came through the first (or second?) time. Supposedly we've been able to get U-Verse gigabit since last year, but maybe not...lol.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:11 PM

183 posts, read 197,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoooHooo! View Post
Holy cow - my lawn-painting friend was right! AT&T crews hit our neighborhood yesterday. They laid conduit all the way down our longest street (that's taken Google 3 months and still not complete), down a side street and into our cul de sac - in less than 2 days!

I have no love for the standard rip-off cable companies, but Google needs to get their field guys up to speed. This crew is putting Google's slow-poke crews to shame.
They're independent contractors. The crews will vary in speed and experience.

Google can take 3x as long to lay the network infrastructure down and I will wait. TWC sucks but is still leaps and bounds better than AT&T.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:10 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
Does anyone know if there is a complaint phone number for AT&T? Contractors dug up a landscaped bed in front of my house today, and damaged plants (obliterated a mature butterfly plant that's been there for years). I am not a happy camper, and of course no one answers the phone at "GL Construction."

Old 03-31-2016, 07:50 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
I would try the NC Utilities Commision. When I had an issue with ATT several years ago, they wouldn't answer the phone or call back. Went through the utilities comision and they were all over getting in touch with me.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:49 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I would try the NC Utilities Commision. When I had an issue with ATT several years ago, they wouldn't answer the phone or call back. Went through the utilities comision and they were all over getting in touch with me.
This. They'll light a fire under ATT's ass.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:35 AM

544 posts, read 852,331 times
I'm running 50/50 with AT&T and their contractors cable-burying skills.

Couple months ago, they cut my TWC line while burying a new internet line (that sat on the yard for 6 months, in spite of repeated calls to come bury it.)

This week the fiber guys are on my street and are *meticulous* about cleaning up, putting down new sod where they had dug up. Unless you looked closely on my front yard, you'd never know they were there.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:49 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
This week the fiber guys are on my street and are *meticulous* about cleaning up, putting down new sod where they had dug up. Unless you looked closely on my front yard, you'd never know they were there.
No such luck in my neighborhood - you can clearly see what's been dug up and haphazardly fixed. I'm now the proud owner of an ugly green plastic box where I used to have day lilies, and they appear to have buried my water meter. I guess the morale of the story is don't have nice plantings anywhere near the curb when fiber comes to town. Hopefully Google won't choose the same location for their equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary