Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 10 days ago)

43,112 posts, read 76,693,175 times

Advertisements

5G!

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/01/...ource=Facebook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 11:47 AM

Google is tearing up the pea patch in Preston Grande.

I tried to turn them around toward the office, but it appears that someone else is paying them more.... Sheesh. It's all about the money, yaknowwhatImean?

Old 02-02-2017, 12:03 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,172,478 times
Any reviews on the TV service? I'm interested in Google Fiber, but the TV service seems really expensive compared to Time Warner Cable. I'd love to get it installed before they leave my area, but not quite ready to cord cut.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:48 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,551,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Any reviews on the TV service? I'm interested in Google Fiber, but the TV service seems really expensive compared to Time Warner Cable. I'd love to get it installed before they leave my area, but not quite ready to cord cut.
Yeah I'm not going to get TV service with Google Fiber.......I'll just stick with Sling/Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime video etc.....

Old 02-02-2017, 01:01 PM

11,202 posts, read 8,244,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I was at an oil and gas automation conference last week for work, and the below quote was more inline with real-world expectations that they gave:
Quote:
The rollout is part of a larger network platform upgrade, nicknamed Indigo, that promises to be more adaptable and responsive. It'll put more of an emphasis on software-shaped networking (covering 75 percent of the network by 2020) and lean on technologies like machine learning. AT&T is even open-sourcing the code for its network's orchestration platform, ECOMP.
That's not to say I disagree with your info, just that for practical purposes, we are looking at 2-3 years out, as it stands now.

They also said to expect a 50x increase in speed over 4g (which was a 10x increase over 3g, according to the presenter).

This all got me thinking that there will be so many alternatives to TWC and Google in the near future, some of which we haven't even considered yet.

Not sure what my point is. Maybe it's that your info is correct, and we can expect to see it functually accessible in the coming years, which is not that long from now. It's exciting.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I was at an oil and gas automation conference last week for work, and the below quote was more inline with real-world expectations that they gave:

That's not to say I disagree with your info, just that for practical purposes, we are looking at 2-3 years out, as it stands now.

They also said to expect a 50x increase in speed over 4g (which was a 10x increase over 3g, according to the presenter).

This all got me thinking that there will be so many alternatives to TWC and Google in the near future, some of which we haven't even considered yet.

Not sure what my point is. Maybe it's that your info is correct, and we can expect to see it functually accessible in the coming years, which is not that long from now. It's exciting.

I dunno. I just came across it and threw it out there.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:07 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,551,211 times
Quote:

I dunno. I just came across it and threw it out there.
by the time 5G is becoming mainstream, we'll probably have 6G in the works

Old 02-02-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
by the time 5G is becoming mainstream, we'll probably have 6G in the works
I do like hard wire. and with ATT Fiber to the house, I don't know why at that point I would really care about 5G.
It will be a boon for unwired areas, though.
And, the price for development will be high.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:18 PM

11,202 posts, read 8,244,752 times
Quote:
I do like hard wire. and with ATT Fiber to the house, I don't know why at that point I would really care about 5G.
It will be a boon for unwired areas, though.
And, the price for development will be high.
I think they are both alternatives. That is the good news. The 4g/5g is being adopted by industry, which actually speeds up the deployment and reliability, so that is good for us lowly consumers.

IIRC, 4g was really hitting the mainstream around 2011/12, so I think 6g is probably going to be a while out yet.

My personal belief is that in the next decade, we won't get internet to the house like we do now. Your "modem" will not be a modem. It will be your mobile phone, or maybe just built into your house or appliances, and I am fairly confident (based on opinion and not much else) that in 10 years your internet will not be served by wire at all, or if it is, it won't be a dedicated line. I think that in our lifetime, it is reasonable to expect that new houses will be 100% wireless, even the power source. Totally just a guess, we'll see. (You should see the craziness that industry is adopting. Wire is certainly still alive and kicking, but wireless is growing in leaps and bounds. They both have their place.)

Old 02-02-2017, 01:45 PM

307 posts, read 375,568 times
The ridiculous data caps on wireless internet are going to have to be removed before they are a serious option for home use. 15-20 gb's isn't going to cut it for most users as a primary means of internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary