Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 02:42 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,416,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasey View Post
My biggest issue with ATT is that you only get 1GB speeds if you visit their partner sites - everywhere else on the 'net is throttled to ~300Mb. Granted, 300 is plenty fast for what I need but don't sell me on Gb service when it's only part time.

If I want to drive my Ferrari at high speeds I'd like to do it anywhere I want to, not just the track that Ferrari Inc built.
Really? Thats a load of crap. First they were doing deep packet inspection, and now junk like this? I will stick with TW 200mbps and bump to 300mbps if I need it. This is the first I've heard of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 06:09 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,561,706 times
Quote:
My biggest issue with ATT is that you only get 1GB speeds if you visit their partner sites - everywhere else on the 'net is throttled to ~300Mb. Granted, 300 is plenty fast for what I need but don't sell me on Gb service when it's only part time.

If I want to drive my Ferrari at high speeds I'd like to do it anywhere I want to, not just the track that Ferrari Inc built.
Where did you read this?

Old 02-16-2017, 07:00 PM

163 posts, read 153,880 times
^Yeah, I'd like to see proof of that, as well. Sounds like rumor-mongering.

I signed up for AT&T Fiber as soon as they lit up my neighborhood. If you have access to AT&T now and decide to wait for Google, I have a feeling you'll be waiting a long time. I cannot imagine why they'd bother digging in an area that already has a fiber competitor, when they keep talking about scaling back operations.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:39 PM

141 posts, read 162,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odisn View Post
^Yeah, I'd like to see proof of that, as well. Sounds like rumor-mongering.

I signed up for AT&T Fiber as soon as they lit up my neighborhood. If you have access to AT&T now and decide to wait for Google, I have a feeling you'll be waiting a long time. I cannot imagine why they'd bother digging in an area that already has a fiber competitor, when they keep talking about scaling back operations.
I'd rather wait for Google Fiber than sign up for AT&T anything.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:51 AM

17,821 posts, read 15,478,142 times
My current TWC/RR plan is expiring in April and I need to figure out what to do next. I've been questioning whether Google would really continue their rollout at all after reading about them acquiring that wireless company. It won't surprise me if they stall at further build-outs in this area, despite claiming they will continue. Some serious mixed messages going on and actions speak louder than words.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:37 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,561,706 times
I'll probably keep rolling with AT&T until Google Fiber comes to the neighborhood. At that point, I'll figure out whether it's worth it to break my contract.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:43 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,760,148 times
Quote:

Can you prove this?

Old 02-21-2017, 06:55 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,416,127 times
Quote:

Ive been researching and haven't found a single thing about this so I wont believe it until I see it.

I'm uploading 4k video and it's taking forever so att is looking kind of attractive right now. Google Fiber wont be in this part of N Raleigh for probably another year and that's a big maybe. If they have a retail store and already have permits for all the huts I would assume they are going to continue to support Raleigh. Especially since they are digging up North Hills now.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:36 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,534,233 times
Google Fiber Preparing for Cary Expansion – CaryCitizen

Old 02-23-2017, 09:49 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,760,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Really? Thats a load of crap. First they were doing deep packet inspection, and now junk like this? I will stick with TW 200mbps and bump to 300mbps if I need it. This is the first I've heard of it.
Be careful w rumors on the internet (esp here, where people LOVE to be the authority on something they have no experience with).

For example - I have ATT gig service....and get well over 300mbps all over the web (getting 400+ as we speak). Is my service just a fluke?

Come on w these internet myths folks, if you dont KNOW something from experience, why act like you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary