Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2018, 09:39 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times

Advertisements

Google Fiber contractor ran and buried a line from the street up to the side of my house today. Baby steps...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 04:54 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
What are you getting on WiFi devices?
Well, now... I don't check it often. So, I just did with two phones and it IS slow.
I hardly noticed, because we don't use much Wi-Fi at all. CAT 6 throughout, and we plug in.

My Huawei Mate 9 Android phone is poor in Wi-Fi anyway and could not complete a test with multiple tries and a couple of speed test apps, but just now was finally able to show me 16/9 Mbps. My old Windowsphone has better Wi-Fi, and shows me about 15/15 mb up and down.

This is a recent development, as I usually was getting about 100/100 or better. Best ever was 250/250, but I had notice a recent slowness.
In fairness, the router is not in a good location and in much of the house the signal has to penetrate multiple walls and floor at angles.

Windowsphone just showed me 103/66 and then 134/20 in a poorer location, so there is some variance, too.
But that is more like what I am used to.

Desktop just showed me 927/716. Download was solid. Upload varied between 200 and 1200.

Not streaming or watching much video from Wi-Fi, I guess it works for me. But, if I was more into wifi, I guess I would have to address it.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:57 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,207 times
Not everyone needs this service and many areas will be unprofitable to wire.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:24 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Not everyone needs this service and many areas will be unprofitable to wire.
Not everyone needs it but the presence of additional competition is always a good thing in our capitalist economy

Old 01-28-2018, 06:20 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Can hardly wait for one more internet service provider to be cutting the lines in our area.

Spectrum cuts ATT lines and vice versa on a monthly basis.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:57 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, now... I don't check it often. So, I just did with two phones and it IS slow.
I hardly noticed, because we don't use much Wi-Fi at all. CAT 6 throughout, and we plug in.

My Huawei Mate 9 Android phone is poor in Wi-Fi anyway and could not complete a test with multiple tries and a couple of speed test apps, but just now was finally able to show me 16/9 Mbps. My old Windowsphone has better Wi-Fi, and shows me about 15/15 mb up and down.

This is a recent development, as I usually was getting about 100/100 or better. Best ever was 250/250, but I had notice a recent slowness.
In fairness, the router is not in a good location and in much of the house the signal has to penetrate multiple walls and floor at angles.

Windowsphone just showed me 103/66 and then 134/20 in a poorer location, so there is some variance, too.
But that is more like what I am used to.

Desktop just showed me 927/716. Download was solid. Upload varied between 200 and 1200.

Not streaming or watching much video from Wi-Fi, I guess it works for me. But, if I was more into wifi, I guess I would have to address it.
We have a fully wired home as well with all gigabit switching. Definitely the way to go for anything that doesn’t move, but we still have phones, iPads, and laptops so WiFi is important too. Can usually get 300+/300+ most places once I added a couple of Ubiquiti access points. Usually in the mid 900s up and down on a wired device.

Interestingly, so many new houses now have little to now low voltage cabling in them. Like a 5 bedroom, 3200 sf house with four ethernet (cat5e or cat6) and two coax cables in the whole place. Super common to see kids rooms now with no low voltage connections at all. Master with one Ethernet and that’s it. People really seem to be relying almost exclusively on wireless for everything and I think they will be sorry down the road.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:29 AM

Discovered another downside of Google's microtrenching technique today. My street is being repaved, and the first time the milling machine encountered a section with microtrenched fiber, the machine destroyed it.

Google says it could be 3-4 business days before I get service back.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:57 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Sounds like they didn’t go down deep enough when they installed it. Grinding the road during resurfacing is an entirely foreseeable thing.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:03 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Discovered another downside of Google's microtrenching technique today. My street is being repaved, and the first time the milling machine encountered a section with microtrenched fiber, the machine destroyed it.

Google says it could be 3-4 business days before I get service back.
When Weston Estates was being microtrenched, I spoke with my friend who worked Fiber install management when they first came to town.
He rolled his eyes, and said, "Oh, man..." and that we will have nightmares.
Google is supposed to coordinate with the municipality and confirm that the street is not on a near-term schedule for resurfacing.
Someone fumbled on your neighborhood.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Sounds like they didn’t go down deep enough when they installed it. Grinding the road during resurfacing is an entirely foreseeable thing.
The trench itself may have been deep enough, but judging by the way the trench filler foam on top of the fiber was popping up out of the street within days of install, it wouldn't take much to snag that and potentially pull the fiber up with it.

Regardless of whether it was poor design or poor execution, yes, this clearly should have been anticipated and accounted for.

Spectrum's been trying very hard to woo me back, and I may just take them up on it, at least for the nice 2-year promo they've been offering me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
When Weston Estates was being microtrenched, I spoke with my friend who worked Fiber install management when they first came to town.
He rolled his eyes, and said, "Oh, man..." and that we will have nightmares.
Google is supposed to coordinate with the municipality and confirm that the street is not on a near-term schedule for resurfacing.
Someone fumbled on your neighborhood.
That's for sure...only lasted six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary