Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 06:38 PM

8 posts, read 10,009 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are considering purchasing a home in the Bond Park area and have heard great things about the location. People boast about the YMCA and schools etc BUT I've been hearing bad things also from asking around. Can anyone speak to the condition of houses in that area?

The one we are looking at in particular is almost 30 years old and the owners did nothing to it except replace the HVAC. We're trying to list all the needed things and of course contractors are quoting that everything needs to be done with $25K-40K pricing to boot.

Question: Are buyers really interested in these older homes in that SW Parkway area? Will we be able to sell later (with work done)? Any great contractor recommendations (I've searched the forums and reached out to one who was decent but pricey)

AND lastly, are there true structural issues in the Bond Park/Bond Lake area of Cary? Is it any different from other parts of Cary (bad soil, structural/foundation issues galore?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 06:45 PM

715 posts, read 888,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsmom1 View Post
Hi

We are considering purchasing a home in the Bond Park area and have heard great things about the location. People boast about the YMCA and schools etc BUT I've been hearing bad things also from asking around. Can anyone speak to the condition of houses in that area?

The one we are looking at in particular is almost 30 years old and the owners did nothing to it except replace the HVAC. We're trying to list all the needed things and of course contractors are quoting that everything needs to be done with $25K-40K pricing to boot.

Question: Are buyers really interested in these older homes in that SW Parkway area? Will we be able to sell later (with work done)? Any great contractor recommendations (I've searched the forums and reached out to one who was decent but pricey)

AND lastly, are there true structural issues in the Bond Park/Bond Lake area of Cary? Is it any different from other parts of Cary (bad soil, structural/foundation issues galore?)
Seriously regarding can you resell in Cary??? Any house will have issue regardless of the area.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:50 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
Lots of thefts from cars parked at the Y. People leave valuables in cars.

Suggest you walk the neighborhood on a Saturday and converse with owners that are doing yardwork, etc.
Ask them the questions. Start REDFIN app while walking the 'hood to see recent re-sales, etc.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:04 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I live in the Bond Park area, and homes in my neighborhood are selling like hotcakes. Some are more updated than others. $25K-$40k seems like a lot to me - I'm thinking that includes a lot of cosmetic upgrades rather than just repairs and a new roof?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:07 PM

Yes it's a combo of cosmetic and the needed repairs for a house of that age...roof, windows etc...I've heard whispers of structural/foundations in the neighborhoods surrounding Bond Park but wasn't sure if that was true....

Old 06-24-2015, 09:00 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsmom1 View Post
Yes it's a combo of cosmetic and the needed repairs for a house of that age...roof, windows etc...I've heard whispers of structural/foundations in the neighborhoods surrounding Bond Park but wasn't sure if that was true....
Bond Park area sells well. Especially houses that back to Bond Lake. I would not hold my breath expecting sellers to make 30k in repairs.

Crime in Cary is just about the lowest you'll find anywhere in the U.S.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:30 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Over here in the Oxxford Hunt/Trappers Run neighborhoods next to/near Bond Park, houses seem to sell very well. There's one on Leckford Way that just went on the market. It had so many people in it yesterday for an open house (on a Tuesday??!!) that there was barely room for cars to get past on the roads.

We are renters here for 5 years stuck in a house (built in 1986) that the landlord doesn't want to spend any money on. We've offered to DIY and give him the labor at no charge if he'd cover the costs of materials, but he doesn't budge. It's really a shame; the house is sitting here deteriorating and literally wilting away. We'd considered making an offer to buy, but we have a fluid situation with extended family that will likely mean a move out of state in the near future.

We haven't noticed any foundation or structural issues, at least not any that weren't caused by the owner's own neglect.

We really love this neighborhood and are glad to be here. Our neighbors are mostly families, but there is also a mix of singles, newly marrieds, and empty-nesters, so it makes for a nice variety. Everyone is friendly, but they're not in your face all the time. They respect each other's privacy, but if anyone needs anything (like cleaning up a fallen tree or whatnot), it's all hands on deck.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:27 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
While there are some homes here and there with structural and foundation issues around the area, you buy one specific house.
It should stand on its own merits, regardless if the house down the street has some cracking.

After 30 years, if the foundation is sound, it is reasonable to expect that, absent any negative material change on site, that the foundation will stay sound.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:05 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Some of the houses were constructed in the era of masonite hardboard siding. Perhaps that is where the numbers are coming from-- cost to re-do the siding where it has failed or where people don't want the risk of it failing. The area itself is quite nice.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:52 PM

What about recent hail storms? Have ya'll had a lot of damage and successfully replaced roofs with insurance?

I drove past the house on Leckford and noticed a crowd...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary