Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 07:25 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times

Advertisements

So I went there today and heard from our waitress that their lease had recently been renegotiated and they were waiting for the contract to be sent down from NY by the Land Lord. Aparently, the owner of Tobacco Road on Glennwood made a predatory move and offered the landlord a lot more rent in order to get a competitor removed. I was going to sit on this information, but ran into another close friend today who is very close to someone in their management. I didn't tell her what I heard, but asked the deal, and she gave me the same story, verbatim.

It's one thing to pounce on a place when it's available, but that is such a crappy move to do. Tobacco Road will never get a dime of my money, that's for sure. The restaurant community is pretty tight knit, think this will end up hurting him more than helping.

Low!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 07:39 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
So I went there today and heard from our waitress that their lease had recently been renegotiated and they were waiting for the contract to be sent down from NY by the Land Lord. Aparently, the owner of Tobacco Road on Glennwood made a predatory move and offered the landlord a lot more rent in order to get a competitor removed. I was going to sit on this information, but ran into another close friend today who is very close to someone in their management. I didn't tell her what I heard, but asked the deal, and she gave me the same story, verbatim.

It's one thing to pounce on a place when it's available, but that is such a crappy move to do. Tobacco Road will never get a dime of my money, that's for sure. The restaurant community is pretty tight knit, think this will end up hurting him more than helping.

Low!
It's pretty cutthroat in the neighborhood. My money would have been on a different high profile neighborhood operator having been the one to pull that stunt, but that it happened doesn't surprise me too much. The rapid growth fuels a bit of wild west mentality. Poor form none the less.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:05 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,693 times
Quote:

Low!
So what's the plan then, for Tobacco Road to pull up stakes from their present location and relocate to the Powerhouse property there?

Old 06-29-2015, 06:03 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
So what's the plan then, for Tobacco Road to pull up stakes from their present location and relocate to the Powerhouse property there?
That's what Im curious about. That or essentially Tobacco Road will effectively sub-lease the Natty Green's space to someone else. What a shame.

I'm not giving Tobacco Road anymore business, in any of their locations.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
I think so. It came up in conversation, but the real focus was on the "poor form" move.

What I "heard" (and did not confirm) is that the Tobacco Road Location was not as desirable because it was under the condo's and had some problems with that, so he'd move there. I don't know if that is true, or if he'll open something else, or if he's just buying away a competitor.

But what did get discussed is that practically no business is sustainable at the rate he's paying (I was told the rate, but I don't think that is public forum information). So basically, WHATEVER goes in there will have a short life. I think it may be short sighted for the landlord, time will tell.

Whatever the outcome, the way it came about was not good.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:49 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
That's the same rumor that was floating out on Twitter since the night their closure was announced.

The owners of Tobacco Road have definitely had their share of controversies. If I remember, they were one of the leaders of the anti food truck movement. I can only imagine how many nice restaraunts we would have had if food trucks were not allowed in Raleigh.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:20 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
I never thought much of TR to begin with, but I would never have seen them as being competitors. The atmosphere is totally different. I would never consider going to one over the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
It's pretty cutthroat in the neighborhood. My money would have been on a different high profile neighborhood operator having been the one to pull that stunt, but that it happened doesn't surprise me too much. The rapid growth fuels a bit of wild west mentality. Poor form none the less.
I wonder if the CAH has really put the squeeze on Tobacco Road competition wise?

Old 06-29-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

I wonder if the CAH has really put the squeeze on Tobacco Road competition wise?
Totally conjecture here, but it could be that he's trying to get a little further away from them. The NG building is SO cool, and has great parking, and is away from Nappers, Hibernian and CAH just enough to be it's own place. You may be onto something....

FWIW, NG was a GREAT member of our community. They did a lot of charity events, and cool things. The way they are treating their employees is so much better than what we usually see (padlocks on a door is the norm). I really hate to see them go, and while I can still buy some of their beer in stores, it will be a loss to not have their taproom locally, and I like their food a lot too. (Purely an opinion, YMMV, but not for long).

Old 06-29-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
That's the same rumor that was floating out on Twitter since the night their closure was announced.

The owners of Tobacco Road have definitely had their share of controversies. If I remember, they were one of the leaders of the anti food truck movement. I can only imagine how many nice restaraunts we would have had if food trucks were not allowed in Raleigh.
I'm almost positive that was the ownership of the Hibernian. In my mind the amusing part of that episode was if your idea about great pub food service is dishing up bangers and mash, a food truck SHOULD pose a threat, if not an outright assault in favor of finer cuisine...

Old 06-29-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I never thought much of TR to begin with, but I would never have seen them as being competitors. The atmosphere is totally different. I would never consider going to one over the other.

Take it to the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary