Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 05:10 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,536 times

Advertisements

Another "no" vote here...and this is from someone who actually *had an in home childcare business before we moved. I had five children, but with about 3,000 square foot home. We also had 7 foot privacy fencing around each home. My neighbors never had a problem with my daycare, as it was run respectfully to them at all times. That size daycare in a home under 1,000 sq feet?? I can't even imagine.

The other thing to conisider is parking and coming and going. We had a three car garage and oversized driveway. Never once, even when *all the parents/children were there was anyone parked in front of anyone elses home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 05:12 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i dont really have an opinion, but this freaks me out. the point of buying a house and property is to be allowed to do what you want if it's not ostentatiously illegal. even if you own your property, your neighbors have the right to tell you what to do? that would NOT fly up here, and that really makes me have second thoughts about wanting to get a house down there, since everyone says they're all in this HOA setup...

Well, not all neighborhoods have HOAs. And there are probably many HOAs out there that would allow this person to have an in-home day care service. S/he just needs to find one of those neighborhoods.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:15 PM

94 posts, read 433,640 times
My vote - No way!

Old 01-22-2008, 05:26 PM

13 posts, read 52,921 times
1000 sq ft home? .08 lot, yeah your going to be close to them, but If I'm not mistaken doesn't the state dictate how many children can be at one of these daycares? Sounds like child(age) discrimination to me. Aren't the children our future? America is becoming more and more selfish and heartless, unless your a inhumanly treated dog, or a child from a 3rd world country, or a illegal imigrant, we "americans" have no rights.

Let her watch the kids, I bet someone in your complex could use a daycare provider, so he or she could go to work.

But for the worlds happiness to continue, I hope she finds something else....

Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 PM

7,141 posts, read 4,738,653 times
No way. For lots of different reasons. I don't think the neighborhood will be too thrilled on this one.
toodie

Old 01-22-2008, 05:55 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
well, we lived in a neighborhood (no HOA) that had a home run day care in our back yard. They became friends of ours and it didn't cause any issues that I am aware of. There were maybe 2-3 cars parked out front for a few minutes during drop off and pick up. That was about it. They did have "outside time" and play outside, but hey, you could have a neighboor move in that has 5 kids of their own and have to deal with the exact same thing.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:05 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
I'm inclined to vote no. And not because the size of the lot or the home or because of the number of children or anything like that. I'm inclined to vote no because it's against the existing rules of the HOA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Your R & R's state under Rule#12...."no part of the property shall be used for business, manufacturing, commercial, or professional purposes".
There must be a good reason for a rule like this to exist.

But here's what troubles me (and why I'm not 100% sure on voting "no"):
Exactly what sort of businesses are and are not permissable? If someone is selling items on eBay out of their home, is that a violation of this rule? If someone in the neighborhood hosts Pampered Chef parties, is that against this rule? Where is the line drawn? It seems to me that the HOA needs to define some clear lines.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:12 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
I like peace and quiet, I would not want to live next to a daycare like you describe or a home where the family had that many children.

I love this house, its ideal for us but if I had found loads of children around it, I would have kept walking.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:15 PM

169 posts, read 419,212 times
Definite no.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:35 PM

90 posts, read 296,955 times
I agree completely with MrsSteel that the HOA rules need to be more clearly defined. But to the problem at hand.

I'm a mom, a pediatric nurse and I honestly could hang with kids 24/7/365.

And I'd lean towards no. If I LIKED/knew this neighbor, I would speak with her directly about it - maybe there are some extenuating circumstance or detailed reassurances that would change my mind. Otherwise, that just isn't the right fit and it would most likely very much effect your life and property.

Guilt aside - she knew the rules going in. It's a bummer, but it is fair rather than arbitrary.

Sorry that you have to do this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary