Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 04:48 PM

695 posts, read 987,491 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a reconnaissance trip to the triangle later in July or early August, and in order to maximize my time, I'm wondering if there are "interesting" areas of both downtown Raleigh and Durham where there are clusters of shops, cafes, restaurants (walkable) in each town, with lots of people around. I'd like to walk around both cities and likely won't have more than 5 days to explore the area, and will potentially also look for housing, so suggestions (streets/landmarks) about the best parts of downtowns are welcome. Chapel Hill will be easier to figure out as it's smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 05:17 PM

396 posts, read 406,337 times
I can already tell you that you are looking for an urban lifestyle that you won't necessarily find in Raleigh. This area caters more to the suburban lifestyle. There is some walkable joy to be had, but I just say this to temper expectations.

I know quite a few people that live towards Moore Square and say that it is growing quickly (and there are some decent restaurants in and around this area) but I have also heard that crime of yore is sometimes still an issue and there is quite a bit of vagrancy in the area. I have also heard positive conversations about Mordecai Village and Five Points, but that might be a little too far based on what you are looking for.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:49 PM

7,809 posts, read 4,519,490 times
Glenwood South

Old 06-28-2015, 06:14 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,015,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Glenwood South
I would suggest there as well,if the OP is under 30. The screen name leads me to believe maybe they are a little older. I really hate saying this but at this point in time downtown Raleigh doesn't have numerous hip areas. It's small and there are areas like city market,Glenwood South,Wharehouse district,Fayetteville st etc but these are small areas themselves. You could probably hit all of them within one day. It's nothing like going into a large city where you can spend the whole day in a neighborhood and still not see everything. I'm hoping one day it will be that way. It's growing and improving but like the other poster said it doesn't fit what the OP is looking for, yet......

Old 06-28-2015, 07:57 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,331,193 times
Both downtowns are small and can be explored in a couple of hours. They aren't really big enough to have "areas".

Old 06-28-2015, 08:02 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,810,082 times
OP, have you considered Charlotte?

Old 06-28-2015, 08:25 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,080,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Both downtowns are small and can be explored in a DAY. They aren't really big enough to have "areas".

c'mon, it would take a day to STROLL all over each.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I would suggest there as well,if the OP is under 30. The screen name leads me to believe maybe they are a little older. I really hate saying this but at this point in time downtown Raleigh doesn't have numerous hip areas. It's small and there are areas like city market,Glenwood South,Wharehouse district,Fayetteville st etc but these are small areas themselves. You could probably hit all of them within one day. It's nothing like going into a large city where you can spend the whole day in a neighborhood and still not see everything. I'm hoping one day it will be that way. It's growing and improving but like the other poster said it doesn't fit what the OP is looking for, yet......
Hahaha Definitely over 30. Thanks for the info and suggestions. Many medium to larger cities in the US have relatively small downtown areas, but there are some clusters of restaurants and cafes in some of them. Not looking for a big city experience as in Boston or NY or San Francisco. Just wondered where to walk around to get the flavor of Raleigh and Durham on my visit later this summer.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
OP, have you considered Charlotte?
Not really. I'm interested in the triangle due to the presence of 3 great universities for their substantial retirement/lifelong learning programs (Chapel Hill, NC State, and Duke).

Old 06-28-2015, 09:13 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,335,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
Hahaha Definitely over 30. Thanks for the info and suggestions. Many medium to larger cities in the US have relatively small downtown areas, but there are some clusters of restaurants and cafes in some of them. Not looking for a big city experience as in Boston or NY or San Francisco. Just wondered where to walk around to get the flavor of Raleigh and Durham on my visit later this summer.
The Downtown areas would be your best bet, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary