Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 07:31 AM

44 posts, read 49,073 times

Advertisements

I've been browsing these blogs for restaurant suggestions for bday coming up as well as yelp, urbanspoon review sites. I have to make a decision.
Can anyone help. I tried this small place for lunch called Zest in North Raleigh and absolutely loved their types of salads, so I'm not an iceberg lettuce salad person or feel veggies should just be a small addition to a meal.
Farm to table is good, I like seafood just not fried, nothing overly heavy or processed. Steaks are good as well. So far I've been to Sitti downtown, Gonzas, Lugano, Angus Barn, Salt and Lime. I enjoyed all of them for different reasons. Thank you for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 07:33 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,375,458 times
Are you looking in Raleigh? How large of a group? Do you need/want a private room? Is there any reason you're not considering the places you mention?

Old 06-29-2015, 07:40 AM

44 posts, read 49,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Are you looking in Raleigh? How large of a group? Do you need/want a private room? Is there any reason you're not considering the places you mention?
Small group party of 4 so no private room necessary. I'm not considering the places I've already been to just because I've only moved here for 3 months now so would like to try different places than the ones I've already tried, just to get to know the area more.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:48 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,375,458 times
Look into Poole's Diner (no reservations), Irregardless Cafe, St. Jacques or Stanbury.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:12 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,540,830 times
Some will laugh, but the selections of salads at D&S Cafeteria is superb!

Great staff, healthy food, and not over-spiced. Yes, seniors love the place. Packed at lunch daily.

Look for the broccoli salad and the pink watergate salad.

D & S Cafeteria - Southern - Raleigh, NC - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

Old 06-29-2015, 08:29 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,291,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Look into Poole's Diner (no reservations), Irregardless Cafe, St. Jacques or Stanbury.
I can't comment on the food at Pooles, but it's VERY hard to get in there. If you choose that route, be prepared to be flexible.

I'm drawing a blank on the many places I love right now, so I may post back later. Lot of good places, but "special birthday meal" warrants my careful consideration. (Irregardless is good suggestion, I think)

Old 06-29-2015, 08:41 AM

703 posts, read 779,438 times
I find that Poole's is easiest to get in on Monday evenings - early, say before 6pm. Of course, it helps that Google says that they're closed Monday nights, while Poole's website says they're open 7 days a week. I'd suggest calling to make sure.

Here's a couple of other suggestions from another semi-recent Pittsburgh transplant:

An (Asian fusion) in Cary
Nana's in Durham

Old 06-29-2015, 08:50 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,613,953 times
If you want an amazing all-veggie meal, I suggest Fiction Kitchen. I like Irregardless also.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:58 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
it's not what I'd call "Birthday special" but Fresh at Creedmoor/Millbrook is right up your description alley.

Unless things have settled down since I last called, the Stanbury is harder than Poole's to get into.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:15 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,074,529 times
So I asked my wife since she's a big fan of Zest and, reaching a bit, did her graduate work at Pitt

An, Glenwood Grill, Vivace , Brio ....

Depending on your preference for cooking - Asian fusion, Carolina/New Southern, or Italian.

I like the overweight to Italian, but I come by that by birth.

Welcome to Raleigh, enjoy your bday !

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary