Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 07:22 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,048,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Currently, Aldi's frozen whole turkey breast and spiral sliced boneless hams leave the competition in the dust.

Their cereals have some of the lowest carbs and best nutrition labeling of any I have found, at about half the price.
The ham was great. I will never purchase the "juice" drinks again, 2 strikes, no more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 12:49 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
I've bought the ham on a killer deal and it was good. Was couple months after the new Garner location opened.

I'm sorry your offended by my employee comment but in my experience they have never shown a hint of personality or enthusiasm. I've worked in a few grocers. It's been a while but I'm still able to recognize happy employees and the practice of customer service. Why not just do self check out? Oh and don't forget to have specific coin change should you need a cart or bag to carry home.

It seems I've portrayed myself unfavorably but I promise I'm the first one to make small talk with my cashier or anyone else in line.

Carolina girl 100%.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:40 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Aldi and Lidl are a certain type of food shop
Aldi and Lidl are known as hard discounters. The grocery market is similar to the airlines where you have the full fare, midprice and discount airlines.

full fare = AA, Delta, United --> Harris Teeter, Kroger
mid price = Southwest, Jet Blue --> Food Lion, Wal-Mart
discount = Frontier, Allegiant, Spirit --> Aldi, Lidl

Old 12-15-2015, 06:34 AM

265 posts, read 269,721 times
I'd classify Harris Teeter as a mid price quality at a full fare price. I despise that place and wonder why there are so many.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:39 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
I'd classify Harris Teeter as a mid price quality at a full fare price. I despise that place and wonder why there are so many.
How can you despise a grocery store? Would you rather have no grocery stores available?

Old 12-15-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
How can you despise a grocery store? Would you rather have no grocery stores available?
I'd rather drive 4 miles out of way to another one rather than shop at Harris Teeter.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:45 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
HT was very smart about where they placed stores as the population of Wake County exploded post-1980. Since then, they recognized early on that many of their customers were shopping at Costco/Sams/BJ also. HT responded with a strategy that emphasizes items that the big box stores don't carry. And I found that HT store management personnel were more accessible and more willing to solve individual customer problems.

To each his own. The local alternatives to HT for me are Food Lion and Kroger, neither of which I like.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:45 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Then do so, Flamenguista. Having a grocery store that you like nextdoor is not a birth right. Nor is anyone likely to spend a couple million dollars to appease a few haters.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Then do so, Flamenguista. Having a grocery store that you like nextdoor is not a birth right. Nor is anyone likely to spend a couple million dollars to appease a few haters.
Upset? Never did I say it should be.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:15 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
HT was very smart about where they placed stores as the population of Wake County exploded post-1980. Since then, they recognized early on that many of their customers were shopping at Costco/Sams/BJ also. HT responded with a strategy that emphasizes items that the big box stores don't carry. And I found that HT store management personnel were more accessible and more willing to solve individual customer problems.

To each his own. The local alternatives to HT for me are Food Lion and Kroger, neither of which I like.
I like HT overall, but while I've found their managers and customer service people to come across as helpful, when it comes to things like carrying specific items or getting things back after they've been dropped, they are no more helpful in actually getting it done than any other store, which is to say, not helpful at all and always with the excuse of its some remote decision they have no control over. This is after filling out the little cards that say they will either start carrying the item or they will call and explain why they can't. I've filled out maybe a dozen over the last 10 years and gotten 1 call back and zero items on the store shelves.

I will say I have seen the overall service go up at the store I typically go to at Stone Creek Village, since the Publix opened up across the road. Even the store at Davis and McCrimmon, which I go to less often stepped things up in preparation for Publix. But I've teased the customer service people about having to go to Publix to get something and they haven't carried it at HT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary