Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:16 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,493 times

Advertisements

some of us are millennials who grew up with internet and video games and don't know what basic maintenance is necessary V_V
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 09:01 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times
I see a lot of people remodeling and upgrading the insides of their house so maybe people are choosing to maintain the insides of their homes than outside since after all they live and see and enjoy the insides. Outsides are to please the neighbors.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:08 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Outsides are to please the neighbors.
Until your roof leaks and damages the inside?

Old 07-02-2015, 10:29 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
or just be a renter and let the landlord do it for you for free!

Old 07-02-2015, 10:36 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Until your roof leaks and damages the inside?
Thank you. And why I'm waiting for Ark to call me about that tiny leak over our master bathroom. Fortunately, it's over the eaves above and a tile floor below and it has yet to drip water, but it's better to fix it now instead of waiting until it has ruined the ceiling and the roof.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:07 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I see a lot of people remodeling and upgrading the insides of their house so maybe people are choosing to maintain the insides of their homes than outside since after all they live and see and enjoy the insides. Outsides are to please the neighbors.
This blows my mind, is it a product of HGTV? I am amazed that all people care about is the shiny stuff, stainless steel appliances and granite counters. They don't care about the bones of the house. When I was looking for a house, the 1990's kitchen did not bother me. I care about the roof the HVAC, what time of exterior material was used (vinyl, Masonite) are the windows wood or vinyl, what type of plumbing does it have.

Holding off on painting due to limited funds is one thing, ignoring the outside because you think it just something that pleases the neighbors is short sighted. Lack of curb appeal decreases the value of your home and water damage from a leaking roof or wood rot can be more costly then granite!

OP - we have this issue is my neighborhood too and it can be really frustrating.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:19 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
And if you think vinyl is the answer, check out those homes with green crud on them! I'm not sure why people don't use a power washer!!!
IMO, unless you're a moneybags with spare change sloshing around to repaint every 8 to 10 years, Vinyl is the answer. You don't really have to power wash any more often than with wood or hardiplank (Every ~2 years seems about right), and you never have to paint. Paying somebody to power wash is a lot cheaper than hiring painters, and it's also something that can be feasibly DIY'd if you have, and are comfortable using, an extension ladder.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:02 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,169,841 times
I would say the majority of people do not maintain their house properly. For some-it is a matter of being lazy, for others, they don't have the money and while others just don't comprehend the importance and ramifications of poor maintenance. In terms of painting, if you wait 10 years to paint wood trim, most likely you will be repairing/replacing a lot of it. Unlike wood from the 50's, 60's and 70's, today's wood is not dense and can deteriorate within a very short period of time if not properly primed and painted. I have seen wood rot occur on trim pieces within just a few years.

Pay me know or pay me later-just remember, later almost always costs more!!

Old 07-02-2015, 01:02 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,586,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
... Vinyl is the answer. ...
Brick is durable, looks good, and requires little maintenance.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:38 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
IMO, unless you're a moneybags with spare change sloshing around to repaint every 8 to 10 years, Vinyl is the answer. You don't really have to power wash any more often than with wood or hardiplank (Every ~2 years seems about right), and you never have to paint. Paying somebody to power wash is a lot cheaper than hiring painters, and it's also something that can be feasibly DIY'd if you have, and are comfortable using, an extension ladder.
You missed the point. IF you think people that have vinyl maintain their homes any better...all you have to do is to look at the crud on the side of the house. I agree...vinyl requires less maintenance but it does require SOME maintenance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary