Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:20 AM

703 posts, read 777,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Might make the homes more fire resistant and longer lasting too.

Growth is not a good thing when it imposes loads on present residents to cover costs imposed by newcomers not charged proper impact fees. Better not have the growth when it fails to pay its way.

Why should the real estate industry and developers profit from putting a drain on the entire area.
Funny how you also constantly complain about the need for light rail transit, but desperately don't want the growth that would be necessary to support it. There is simply not the population, population density or economics to make it work without a few hundred thousand more people in the area.

You have no idea how much you speak out of both sides of your mouth. You act like you want to "save" folks from moving here, yet you also have also described how nice it would be to see some of the big pharmas go through massive layoffs so that folks would lose their jobs and move away.

The retired, morning coffee folks down at the Panera or McDonalds on Capitol near where you live might not mind hearing your incessant ramblings and think you're right on the money on most things. But you're going to get called out for it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 09:59 AM

2,001 posts, read 3,573,191 times
Several folks in my neighborhood including myself have had their ~10 year old homes painted. I think it can also help if one person get's it started and then it gets other folks thinking maybe I should get painted as well. I had some minor wood rot on the trim. Replaced it with PVC, hope it never rots again.

edit: we are all fiber cement. The wood trim rots and the fiber cement really shows no wear and tear it's magical.

Last edited by zinner; 07-06-2015 at 10:10 AM..

Old 07-06-2015, 10:01 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,237,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Actually, the city I lived in had major growth problems coupled by the fact that a major lake made it so there were only 3 roads into the city. The city was 7 miles wide and the highway was on the north end of it. Below the freeway there was some city land but the lake was right there. There was a road into town on the far left edge, the middle (a bridge) and the far right edge of the town. 80% of the city's land was south of this lake so that is why they put in the restrictions years ago.

The major city we lived near had economic issues, but the burbs were doing quite well. Mine was growing 10% per year largely due to the fact we had a lot of new homes and it was a nice area.

I realize it would make homes more expensive but if another $20K or whatever is the tipping point on whether someone can buy a house or not, then quite frankly they should probably be renters, anyway.

Just one man's opinion.....
I'm not trying to argue with you, but the growth of the just one suburb as you described still doesn't sound like anything near the growth pressures of Wake County as a whole which is the fastest growing county in the US with a population more than 500,000. And you are kidding yourself if you think requiring all brick siding and 1/4 acre lots would only add $20K to the price of a similarly sized home in this area.

Here are some good facts about growth in Wake County: Wake County Demographic Trends: 2014.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:05 AM

2,001 posts, read 3,573,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
Most of the residents are northern transplants, who (like myself) probably just appreciate having more nice days available outside throughout the year to perform such chores ourselves.
Yes thank god us transplants are here to spruce up your neighborhoods

Old 07-06-2015, 11:43 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,915,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm not trying to argue with you, but the growth of the just one suburb as you described still doesn't sound like anything near the growth pressures of Wake County as a whole which is the fastest growing county in the US with a population more than 500,000. And you are kidding yourself if you think requiring all brick siding and 1/4 acre lots would only add $20K to the price of a similarly sized home in this area.

Here are some good facts about growth in Wake County: Wake County Demographic Trends: 2014.
I get it, I just think the positives outweigh the negatives in having a more controlled approach to the growth with higher building standards. Raleigh is experiencing outward sprawl because many of the inner parts of Raleigh are old and dying for the most part. The neighborhoods *look* much older than they really are and only a select few areas have been able to maintain themselves as hotspots. All the outer areas (North Raleigh, Wake Forest, Cary, Holly Springs) are growing like crazy because nobody wants to pay a lot of money for homes/neighborhoods that look like crap. If they were built better from the start I don't think we'd have *as much* of a sprawl problem.

Areas along Millbrook and Spring Forest in North Raleigh used to be a hot place to be. Now you drive through there and most sections look old and worn down. That's the reason I ended up in Wake Forest, anyway. I didn't want to live in what looked to be a neighborhood that was not maintained and going downhill. The same can be said for some neighborhoods just south of Durant. They look old and tired.

The huge growth is also one of the reasons to enforce tighter standards. If the demand is there then getting higher prices for higher quality stuff should not be a problem. Why cram all these cheap homes together and let builders do this without any infrastructure upgrades to support it? Our roads and intersections keep getting more bottlenecks. Where I'm from, if a builder wanted to install a new neighborhood then they had to pay the city to widen the road to accommodate.

Lastly, if we want to keep the same low-grade construction here then why don't we have things like landscaping, exterior painting, etc. as part of the HOA dues? Then at least you know every house will get cleaned/painted every so often. My parents live in a neighborhood where all homes have landscaping & exterior maintenance as part of the HOA. The neighborhood is 10-15 years old but still looks brand new.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:44 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
Funny how you also constantly complain about the need for light rail transit, but desperately don't want the growth that would be necessary to support it. There is simply not the population, population density or economics to make it work without a few hundred thousand more people in the area.

You have no idea how much you speak out of both sides of your mouth. You act like you want to "save" folks from moving here, yet you also have also described how nice it would be to see some of the big pharmas go through massive layoffs so that folks would lose their jobs and move away.

The retired, morning coffee folks down at the Panera or McDonalds on Capitol near where you live might not mind hearing your incessant ramblings and think you're right on the money on most things. But you're going to get called out for it here.
If the growth pays its way, fine. If not, it is not needed.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:47 PM

838 posts, read 2,518,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I think the abundance of new housing in this area has bread a culture of buy new house, live in it for 5 years, do no or little maintenance, move to another new house every 5 years. Maintenance then consists of keeping the yard cut and maybe power washing the north side of the house.
Not a bad plan for those that prefer to spend the minimum amount possible on maintaining their home. Bought my house when it was 5 years old, it's nearly 20 now and I don't even want to know how many thousands of dollars have gone into it that I will never get back out. When the kids are grown and moved out, new condo sounds pretty good.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
If the growth pays its way, fine. If not, it is not needed.
OK. You have now established that growth is needed.
Thanks!

Old 07-08-2015, 01:39 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
OK. You have now established that growth is needed.
Thanks!
What do you mean , Mike?

Tax increase for schools just coming down. McCrory wants a bond for large transportation improvements.

How is growth paying its own way?

Old 07-08-2015, 04:46 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
What do you mean , Mike?

Tax increase for schools just coming down. McCrory wants a bond for large transportation improvements.

How is growth paying its own way?
I know I'm "growth" and I paid a LOT more to put your kids through public schools than you did, and continue to do so yearly. My tax bill was just posted and it is up 6% over last year. Instead of railing about conditions without contributing, I recognize that taxes are paralleling inflation, and would gladly pay another per cent if it went straight to teacher raises and classroom support.
Of course, at this point, you probably see good schools as a negative if anyone would move here hoping for the best for their own children.

Growth = jobs. I know that is moot to you, since you are retired, but it is pretty great for people who still wish to work.

You go on routinely and blindly about "impact fees," even after being shown multiple times that developers and new home owners DO pay impact fees and do subsidize and increase the tax base.

Growth pays for amenities.
You want mass transit, yet don't want to pay for it.
You want highway lights, yet don't want to pay for them.
You want modern schools, and don't want to pay for them. Of course, your kids are through WCPSS at nearly no cost to you and subsidized by "growth" via property taxes, so that probably matters less to you now.

McCrory's bond issue is absolutely a move to have growth subsidize a goodly portion of the cost. Pushing costs into the future, rather than just saddling the current population, means that newcomers will help pay the cost. I support school bonds, transportation bonds, parks bonds, to provide amenities, and recognize that bonds pass costs on to those who are not yet here, but will also benefit from their use.

A legitimate concern: Gentrification pushing people out of historically affordable neighborhoods.
Agreed. Stifling economic development and opportunity and defunding schools are not reasonable answers.

But, the world is not going to stand still in some subjective idyllic form and subsidize your entire life just because you slipped in before someone else. It just won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary