Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:42 AM

850 posts, read 3,624,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeheel View Post
OTOH, I tried Verizon's DSL for a week and thought it was even worse (far slower and lots of technical problems). That's the main reason I haven't ditched TWC for DirectTV. I just can't stand the thought of Verizon's DSL service again.
Oh God....I so agree. I have had such a horrid time with Verizon DSL in the past that there was NO way I would do it again...EVER. I'm glad this thread is here as my email has been downloading at a snail's pace lately and I've been deciding what to do. At least, now it seems that its TWC. Maybe I'll call them next week. I'm in Clayton/Wendell btw.

Lauren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 07:48 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
I have had roadrunner since its inception and found that the wireless routers are unreliable and slow unless you are very close to it. I networked my new house with cat 5e and the speed is almost instant. There are better wireless routers out than they provided which would probably solve the issues though...

Old 01-26-2008, 08:15 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I have had roadrunner since its inception and found that the wireless routers are unreliable and slow unless you are very close to it. I networked my new house with cat 5e and the speed is almost instant. There are better wireless routers out than they provided which would probably solve the issues though...
I've got cat 5e throughout my house as well, and use it for my desktop computers, print servers and file server. But I use a wireless access point for my laptops. 802.11g, which I use, is rated at 54 Mbps, of which I probably see 1/2 to 1/3 of that. That is still way more than the bandwidth I get from RoadRunner. Wired is definitely faster for access inside my own LAN, but when accessing the Internet I haven't noticed any slowdown.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:37 PM

214 posts, read 1,001,891 times
I live off of Davis Drive in Cary, and our internet service with TWC has been really slow and cutting out the past couple of days. TWC spent about 5 hours on our street yesterday, so there is obviously something going on, and they seem to be trying to fix it.

For those of us who work from home, I cannot wait for them to get this back under control!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:55 PM

28 posts, read 87,805 times
Have you tried checking the speeds on

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

I get a decent speed with turbo twc

Old 01-26-2008, 08:00 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
See what you get with this one: Speakeasy - Speed Test
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1relocating View Post
Have you tried checking the speeds on

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

I get a decent speed with turbo twc

I had fun with both of these.

Checked several servers, and with RoadRunner Turbo:

Downloads.... 4600 KBPS to 7216 KBPS
Uploads... 369 KBPS to 481 KBPS

Netgear Wireless-G router

I've been with TWC/RoadRunner since they came to town, and can say I've never had a service issue. And have received good tech support when I've thought I had a service issue.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:59 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,050 times
I will be moving down to Clayton this coming week, and will be disappointed at best if I get the full 8mbps turbo speed as advertised. Coming from Cablevision here in NY where standard speed is 15mbps and their premium "boost" service of 30mbps (which I had the later for probably just a few dollars a month more than TWC charges for their "turbo" service). Its quite a surprise that internet service choices are what they are, but then again, we are moving for many other reasons that should make it worthwhile. Hopefully TWC gets this issue fixed prior to their install to my home, from all these posts, sure sounds like a system-wide problem ...

Old 01-26-2008, 09:59 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy64 View Post
I will be moving down to Clayton this coming week, and will be disappointed at best if I get the full 8mbps turbo speed as advertised. Coming from Cablevision here in NY where standard speed is 15mbps and their premium "boost" service of 30mbps (which I had the later for probably just a few dollars a month more than TWC charges for their "turbo" service). Its quite a surprise that internet service choices are what they are, but then again, we are moving for many other reasons that should make it worthwhile. Hopefully TWC gets this issue fixed prior to their install to my home, from all these posts, sure sounds like a system-wide problem ...

Andy, I predict that you are headed for full disappointment if you hope for over 8 MBPS anywhere locally.
TWC generally functions very well. You are seeing reports of anecdotal problems.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:21 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
I live off of Davis Dr (Cary) and my internet is back and working fine. I do want to say that I haven't had too many service interruptions with TWC (probably no more than a few hours of outage each year) and have always had extremely polite technicians. I've called them a number of times late at night and haven't had any problems getting through.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:53 AM

231 posts, read 495,006 times
We purchased a home in Colvard Farms, (closing in a few weeks) South of Durham and TWC does not even go there, so my understanding the only ISP service is Verizon or ATT. Does anyone know of other good choices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary