Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:46 AM

745 posts, read 2,209,559 times

Advertisements

In my usage in the Triangle I would rate alltel as the best, followed closely by Verizon, and AT&T third out of the three I've used.

Alltel, imo, a smaller company, much better plans than the other two, and coverage usually as strong or stronger than the others. They're all cellular in the Carolinas so the coverage is still about as good as it gets out in rural NE North Carolina. The only other decent provider out that way is US Cellular, but USCC does not serve the Triangle. That may also be the reason why alltel also usually does very well indoors since a cellular signal stays stronger further away from the tower and penetrating indoors. They're probably not the most popular, as a smaller provider they don't advertise as much in the paper here or on TV and the stores seems a little more blended in. But for coverage and price, alltel is very solid.

Verizon, imo, also generally has very good coverage. It gets pretty poor out in rural NE North Carolina. They're new to that area and PCS which accounts for some coverage problems there and in other more rural parts of NC that they're just getting to. When you get 'Extended Network' showing on a Verizon phone, that means it's roaming on alltel which has happened to me probably a dozen times but I do a lot of traveling. But they are cellular here in the Triangle. Probably the most popular and what most people would say is best, but a large amount of that is due to people's advertising based belief that it's the 'network of reliability' and they don't try other providers. They're also by far the most expensive provider to have and I'd no longer carry it if work didn't pay for it to have free 'IN' calling to me. Don't get me wrong, I think they're coverage is very good, but I wouldn't say the best. It seems as if I get more places of very low, 0-1 bar areas with them where completing a call isn't possible but I can get out a text.

AT&T, imo, isn't bad. I just carry around a pre-pay phone for them mainly for signal comparison. In terms of quality, their network has a rich, full sound, probably a little better than anybody else. But the coverage is more lacking, especially around parts of Chapel Hill and a few places in Durham. Raleigh is a little more equal but the indoor coverage is still way behind the other two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 10:37 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,553 times
How is AT&T south of Raliegh in Wake County... specifically the Enchanted Oaks development north of Lake Wheeler. I am on AT&T for business at present, but the rest of my family is on Sprint. I am contemplating dumping Sprint (for other reasons) and moving us all to AT&T, but wanted to wait until we get moved down there to be sure of the coverage difference.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:24 AM

745 posts, read 2,209,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
How is AT&T south of Raliegh in Wake County... specifically the Enchanted Oaks development north of Lake Wheeler. I am on AT&T for business at present, but the rest of my family is on Sprint. I am contemplating dumping Sprint (for other reasons) and moving us all to AT&T, but wanted to wait until we get moved down there to be sure of the coverage difference.
I really don't think you'll have any problems with anybody there. Just to the south of Lake Taylor there is a set of towers, one is owned by WKIX, one is owned by Alltel and one is owned by Crown Castle according to cellreception.com. But there are multiple panels on those towers and whenever I'm at Lake Wheeler or to the Food-Lion just south of it I always get a very good signal from AT&T, so they must be on one of those towers. Alltel does a little better at keeping a stronger signal near there, I assume since they own one they took the top spot and maybe something to look at if your signal drops too low indoors. But since AT&T is on those towers, I don't think it'll be advantageous to have Sprint rather than them. The next closest AT&T tower is up Fayetteville Hwy near Tryon Rd. So since you're sort of between two, you may be looking at mid-range bars (I'm sort of estimating because I don't actually go to Enchanted Oaks), which should be plenty of signal to make a call, maybe fewer indoors. I don't think Sprint will be any better though I've never tested them.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:41 PM

40 posts, read 118,910 times
Thank you all for the help. When my wife and I relocate to Wake Forest area we will still be on ATT, but our contracts will be up, so I am investigating the different plans in case we want to switch. All of you have been helpful.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:36 PM

31 posts, read 90,582 times
Verizon doesn't work well between the Triad and Triangle. Customer service tells me they need to get more towers. Most of my calls drop there. Anyone know what works in Hillsborough,Mebane area?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:39 PM

53 posts, read 224,849 times
Moving from NYC to Chapel Hill, we still use Verizon wireless. And my hubby has a PDA and his data loads very quickly. We also have driven to NY and back and NEVER had an issue. Verizon rocks! Just wish they'd have more variety of phones, but that's another story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary