Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:54 AM

11 posts, read 12,783 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

We recently moved here for 4 months from the Pacific Northwest. On the list of things I thought we'd have an issue adjusting to, we've actually done really well... except for one thing. Ticks! Could you please help me out here because I'm on the border of panicking.

So... I did some basic due diligence to understand the type of ticks there are in this region of North Carolina (Morrisville/Cary) and learn how to identify them. The more I'm reading about them, and the more news articles I've gone through (detailing how NC and OK lead the pack in tick borne diseases in the USA), the more worried I'm getting. I had no idea that RMSF was such a serious issue in NC. And my concern is much more for my pup.

The apartment complex we are staying in is really nice. It has well-maintained grounds and is treated weekly for pest control. Grass is short, and the doggie park is well-maintained. Every morning early, we take the pup for a walk along pathways with short grass. I mean, no long grasses, no overhanging branches. We do a cursory check when we get home for ticks. It was to the point my husband said I was overreacting and being too careful. Add to the fact that we spray her lightly with wondercide (which a lot of people use here - combination of cedar oil and lemongrass) every time we leave the house. It's a product that has great reviews at repelling ticks. We also use the monthly drops on her back.

Last Wednesday, we noticed our pup was nibbling at her back until she'd created a large hotspot. I took a look, found nothing at all and we put an e-collar on her as it was pretty irritated. Two days later, we saw a tick in her bed! My husband and I immediately went to work looking at her body, and 10 mins later found another one on her side (removed it w/tick twister - very cool device). Now I have no idea if the hotspot is a result of a bite or not. Should I go to the vet? Am I over-reacting? The ticks were really small and we honestly couldn't tell what type they were. She still has the e-collar on as the fur hasn't grown back even though the rash is gone, and she goes to chew it because she get obsessive over parts of her body that are "different" (i.e. bald).

We were shocked to find ticks on her considering how careful we've been. Not having any experience checking for ticks at all, I've obviously failed miserably in that department.

1. We have a malamute/husky mix - thick fur (two coats, undercoat and overcoat). How on EARTH are you supposed to check an entire body for ticks when fur is so thick, taking into account that ticks can be as small as a "poppy seed!" I mean, it seems like a completely hopeless endeavor Even after I check her body, I know that there's no way I checked every single area.

2. How do you know if your pup has been bitten and a disease transmitted if in the beginning, some of the diseases can be asymptomatic? I've read that sometimes a rash appears, then disappears, but that the disease continues internally.

I've gotten over my fear of spiders. I've even learned how to deal with the occasional palmetto bug (ugh ugh ugh), and shockingly adapted to the heat/humidity. But honestly, this whole tick thing has thrown me off and is starting to give me sleepless nights

Any thoughts, advice, way to work with dogs on this subject?

THANK you so much.....

Last edited by dragonryder; 07-07-2015 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 11:07 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
I would use a monthly fipronil based topical treatment and not worry about it. Something like FrontlinePlus. If you are going to try to spot-check your dog every time you go out you won't never go out. It's tough enough with kids :-)

And I would not be stressing out about the fact that you found an engorged tick on your dog either. Odds are very low (<1%) that your dog will contract a disease from the tick, and even lower (0.1-0.01%) that you will know it if it does.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:11 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
hi there welcome to the south

ticks are just a fact of life down here and for the most part a flea collar and heart worm treatment is sufficient for your pets.

If your dog is symptomatic then take her to the vet. If you're worrying about taking her to the vet for asymptomatic illnesses then yes indeed you will go crazy.

My dog had lyme we think as she had bad chills and lethargy and phantom pains. We put her on doxycycline and it cleared up.

Anyway it sounds like you are doing all you can but you know I would just advise downshifting your stress level about it as they're just part of the reality here.

1. Ticks actually swell as they engorge themselves so you will notice a fed one.
2. If you pet and rub your dog you can actually feel tick with your finger easier than seeing them. They kinda feel like a mole that you can catch too much of under your nail and pull on it.
3. They take a few days to infect with lyme and that nasty stuff. So typically you're ok
4. Illnesses are easily treatable so if your dog is acting sick, take her to the vet.
5. I wouldn't really bother with alot of homeopathic products. Ticks just happen in the summer, just keep a collar or drop on them.

Here is a picture don't look if you're squeamish: http://www.tickencounter.org/images/...vs_Day8_01.jpg

Old 07-07-2015, 11:11 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonryder View Post
The apartment complex we are staying in is really nice. It has well-maintained grounds and is treated weekly for pest control.
There are chemicals that can be applied to grass and woods that kill fleas, ticks, etc. These are usually done several times a year, not once a week. You may want to ask if that is being done.
Spectracide 20 lb. Triazicide Insect Killer for Lawns Granules-HG-83961 - The Home Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonryder View Post
Last Wednesday, we noticed our pup was nibbling at her back until she'd created a large hotspot. I took a look, found nothing at all and we put an e-collar on her as it was pretty irritated. Two days later, we saw a tick in her bed! My husband and I immediately went to work looking at her body, and 10 mins later found another one on her side (removed it w/tick twister - very cool device). Now I have no idea if the hotspot is a result of a bite or not. Should I go to the vet? Am I over-reacting?
I have three dogs (with an occasional fourth visiting). We usually find a few ticks per year, but have never gone to the vet. I would be more concerned about heartworms, which are very common, if you do not have your dog on a monthly year-round preventative.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:12 AM

725 posts, read 1,499,926 times
There is a lyme disease vaccine available for dogs (my dog has the vaccine). Not going to help post bite (or for RMSF) but something to consider for the future if you are concerned. I don't think lyme is that big of a problem in NC yet (as it is up north), but it is here.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:38 AM

Ok, so my heart rate is beginning to normalize. Thanks SO much for responding so quickly - how wonderful and supportive of you all :-) Part of me is thinking "there are hundreds of thousands of people living here that are quite healthy - how big of an issue is this?" I didn't realize the risk of infection was so low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
I would use a monthly fipronil based topical treatment and not worry about it. Something like FrontlinePlus. If you are going to try to spot-check your dog every time you go out you won't never go out. It's tough enough with kids :-)

And I would not be stressing out about the fact that you found an engorged tick on your dog either. Odds are very low (<1%) that your dog will contract a disease from the tick, and even lower (0.1-0.01%) that you will know it if it does.
On Frontline Plus, she unfortunately didn't react too well - went crazy trying to scratch her body and had some vomiting sessions and so the vet said she isn't a great candidate for spot-ons. But such low odds make me feel SO much better. After reading the articles about how bad RMSF is in NC, and that there have been several fatalities in children, I wasn't sure what to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
hi there welcome to the south

Ticks are just a fact of life down here and for the most part a flea collar and heart worm treatment is sufficient for your pets.

If you pet and rub your dog you can actually feel tick with your finger easier than seeing them. They kinda feel like a mole that you can catch too much of under your nail and pull on it.

Illnesses are easily treatable so if your dog is acting sick, take her to the vet.

Here is a picture don't look if you're squeamish: http://www.tickencounter.org/images/...vs_Day8_01.jpg
Wow, that picture is an incredible comparison, thank you! Can I ask what type of collar you'd recommend and how long it lasts for? I also had no idea you could "feel" them so I'll definitely start doing the rubbing.

[quote=don6170;40315170]You may want to ask if that is being done.
Spectracide 20 lb. Triazicide Insect Killer for Lawns Granules-HG-83961 - The Home Depot

I'll ask what they are using as they were very forthcoming about how much they try to keep pests under control.

The Dept. of Human Health Services states that RMSF is the most commonly contracted tick-borne disease in the Carolinas (dog tick / brown dog tick). "In humans, antibiotics are most effective if caught before the 5th day of symptoms and if not treated early, it can be fatal. In pets, many self-heal completely but in cases that are symptomatic can be considered just as serious." On a positive note, I did learn that dogs who have had RMSF and recovered are immune to reinfection for several years.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:39 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post

I have three dogs (with an occasional fourth visiting). We usually find a few ticks per year, but have never gone to the vet. I would be more concerned about heartworms, which are very common, if you do not have your dog on a monthly year-round preventative.
VERY VERY IMPORTANT. Do not forget to give heartworm treatment to your dog and have it checked yearly for heartworms.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
VERY VERY IMPORTANT. Do not forget to give heartworm treatment to your dog and have it checked yearly for heartworms.
She's on the monthly Heartgard Plus, so we're good in that area - thank you!

Old 07-07-2015, 12:44 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Definitely give flea/tick 'stuff' - I had been using Vectra 3D on my dog, but am going to switch because I just pulled an engorged tick off her last week. My vet recommended either bravecto (every three months) or nexgard (monthly) - both are oral vs topical.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:40 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
I use a collar now

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B8CG58U/...ck+collar+dogs

It works well enough.

IMO I think people get a little irrational over ticks and no product is a magic shield so if you find a tick its not reason to think it's defective. It's like bug spray it'll stop most of them but some mosquitos still try...good genetics i guess i dunno.

Once you get a few ticks on yourself you will differently about them on your dog, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary