Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,099 times

Advertisements

Parents of a 19 year old transgender female are looking for a new home in the Raliegh/Duram area of North Carolina. We are not too familiar with the counties and towns. We are hoping someone could assist us with finding a nice town where we could purchase a home.

We're on a fixed retirement income hoping to find a home with a maximum purchase price of $225,000 or lower.

Both my husband and I are disabled so it's been hard for us to actively scout out new towns. Our son's had a very hard time where we currently live. He was attacked on school property more than once, and when I kept him home in order to deal with the situation, a summons was issued to me, and I was threatened with Arrest and Jail. All because I tried to protect my child. So we are really trying to find a comminity where we can live in peace. We are schooling our son via tutors so we don't have to worry about school districts etc.

If someone could point us in the direction of a town where you think we could find a home given our circumstances I'd be very grateful.😀
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 12:58 PM

396 posts, read 409,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyautumnangel View Post
Parents of a 19 year old transgender female are looking for a new home in the Raliegh/Duram area of North Carolina. We are not too familiar with the counties and towns. We are hoping someone could assist us with finding a nice town where we could purchase a home.

We're on a fixed retirement income hoping to find a home with a maximum purchase price of $225,000 or lower.

Both my husband and I are disabled so it's been hard for us to actively scout out new towns. Our son's had a very hard time where we currently live. He was attacked on school property more than once, and when I kept him home in order to deal with the situation, a summons was issued to me, and I was threatened with Arrest and Jail. All because I tried to protect my child. So we are really trying to find a comminity where we can live in peace. We are schooling our son via tutors so we don't have to worry about school districts etc.

If someone could point us in the direction of a town where you think we could find a home given our circumstances I'd be very grateful.😀
Chapel Hill would likely be your best bet in terms of culture, but it can be extremely expensive. Some areas in the eastern portion of Wake County would likely fall comfortably into your price range (Garner, for instance), but those areas are likely going to be a bit more what you are used to.

However, if I am reading you right, your primary reason for relocation is your daughter. So I am going to be the one to say this: these issues are not going to magically disappear in the Triangle. The area may be more accepting of the LGBTQ lifestyle than where you currently live, but disapproval hasn't disappeared. The recent issues with Omar Currie are fair example of that. I have taught a transgender student who, despite the best efforts of myself, colleagues, and many students in the school, ultimately decided to relocate to a different state due to bullying. There are many who live happy comfortable lives in the area, but there are also some who do not.

Please don't be disheartened by this, as it really is with the intention to help you. I want to make sure you come into this with realistic expectations. I hate that your family has had to endure this, and I wish you very good fortune in the future, but don't assume Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill is your Zion.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:06 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/weste...-new-home.html

Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
If you're on a fixed income you might be able to qualify for the Community Home Trust in Chapel Hill. I'm not sure what all is needed to qualify, but they help lower income folks buy a home.

The mayors of Chapel Hill and Carrboro are both out. The Chapel Hill mayor is a gay man, and the Carrboro mayor is a lesbian. It's a very LGBTQ friendly area.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:34 PM

640 posts, read 1,987,225 times
Can you help us out as to why you're looking to move to the Raleigh area? Are you already in NC? If not, then why NC?

This is a serious issue for you and you child. The more (anonymous) info you can give, the more help the CDs community and offer.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:07 PM

160 posts, read 235,158 times
Living in Durham, it generally feels like a fairly progressive, accepting community to me. Not as much as Carrboro or Chapel Hill, but I'd expect it to be more accepting than Raleigh.

I'm not sure how much home you'd be looking to get for $225,000. But, it would seem doable.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:17 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Here is the website for the LGBT Center of Raleigh. They have a Transgender Initiative that meets regularly, run by a woman named Rebecca as well as a "friends and family" group that you and your husband could benefit from. Her email is probably linked to that page; I would contact her and ask your questions. Your son would very likely get a lot out of attending their meetings and events, as well.

Since your child is 19 and presumably no longer in school, at least you don't need to worry about school district and which ones would be more accepting. The laws in NC are quite conservative on transgender issues, and our current legislature is doing their best to pull the social climate of the state even more to the right.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:13 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LortiQU View Post
Are you still looking for a house? I know of a nice one. It is in Uniontown, PA and within walking distance to a gay/trans club. It's my son's house that he is selling. Let me know. It's a very very good deal I promise you.
That would be one long commute from the Triangle .

Old 08-27-2015, 10:19 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
That would be one long commute from the Triangle .
They never did answer back and say why they were moving to the Triangle, since they had evidently posted in lots of other places, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary