Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 07:29 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
cyn7cyn, I'm sorry. Was your cat an indoor or outdoor cat?
Thank you. Honestly it didn't happen recently so I have moved on but it made me more cautious. I have had both. One of mine that did get sick was an inside cat when I took in a "neighborhood cat". I also had taken in a couple cats before then who ended up having feline leukemia and 2 from a breeders with with FIP ? and something else I can't recall,all lethal. The last one I had was several years ago he was a Himalayan that I rehomed because he didn't get along in his multiple cat home. He was 3 years old and healthy. Lost him to an accident when he snuck out of a new house we moved too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 08:17 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,530,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Don't feel guilty for wanting a healthy cat. Animal care isn't cheap. As my dad used to say "there is no such thing as a free kitten". I had to stop taking in strays because of their health issues. Not only was it emotionally draining but they can also infect any healthy pets you have. I lost a cat from taking in one that had feline aids unbeknownst. If I remember correctly any cat at the shelter has been tested and vaccinated and fixed. That alone justifies any fee they charge for adoption. The one thing I'd be wary of is someone's yard cat that had babies. More then likely neither mom nor dad have had any veterinary care and often unhealthy offspring. Been there done that. Learned that lesson through much $$ and tears.
Completely agree...don't feel guilty at all. Pet ownership is, after all, a huge commitment. I believe the absolute best thing you can do for your pets beyond spay/neuter and vaccinations is to feed them well. Yes, premium pet food is expensive, but I am convinced that my pets' fantastic health is in large part to the food we give them. They eat better than we do...LOL.

Another piece of advice: Try and figure out what kinds of personalities you want, then relay this information to the shelter staff. The volunteers who work day in and day out with these little beauties can be immeasurably helpful in matching you with the right kitties.

Congrats on your pending new family members, and thanks for adopting (no matter which shelter or rescue group you choose)!

Old 07-11-2015, 07:11 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
BUT--can you please explain to me here what the Wake County Animal Shelter is? Is this where they pick up stray animals, hold them for a while, and then...well, you know?
WCAC (it is now Center, vs Shelter) is the "pound". Animals that are picked up as strays are taken here and they take animals people no longer want (or can take care of). Unlike no-kill shelters, they have to make tough decisions when they are over capacity.

There is a very active FB page for them
https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfWa...tyAnimalCenter

Old 07-11-2015, 07:28 PM

448 posts, read 851,595 times
We live in the South Plantation neighborhood in Clayton (across from Cleveland High School). I noticed today that someone had a sign in the main area that they had two kittens for either adoption or sale. Not sure if you have already found one already

Old 07-11-2015, 07:47 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,073 times
For what it's worth, we went to the Wake County Animal Shelter on Monday to adopt a kitten after hearing that they were over-capacity. They didn't seem to care one way or the other. We filled out a form and got a big lecture about not declawing, but otherwise they had zero interest in what we were looking for. Sat in a room with the kittens and the volunteer was completely disinterested. Someone came in with a small child that was clearly there just to play with the kittens and not adopt one, and that I guess took precedence over us wanting to adopt one, so at that point we left. I understand that these places are staffed mainly by volunteers, but if they're not making any effort to match the people that come in with an animal, they can't really complain that not enough people are adopting. We're definitely getting a kitten, so I'd love to hear from the original poster when you adopt!

Old 07-11-2015, 11:39 PM

142 posts, read 223,635 times
Wake County Animal Center is at 820 Beacon Lake Dr., in Raleigh.

You might also consider neighboring counties. There was a news article a couple years ago about Montgomery County's animal shelter- in the previous year, 98% of dogs and 100% of cats taken to that "shelter" were euthanized. While that particular shelter would be a long drive, there are other county shelters nearby that I think don't get as much foot traffic as WCAC does. I mean, I'm definitely glad that a lot of people adopt from WCAC, I just feel bad for animals that end up at shelters that don't have nearly as many potential adopters coming through and don't want those animals to be overlooked.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:54 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
For what it's worth, we went to the Wake County Animal Shelter on Monday to adopt a kitten after hearing that they were over-capacity. They didn't seem to care one way or the other. We filled out a form and got a big lecture about not declawing, but otherwise they had zero interest in what we were looking for. Sat in a room with the kittens and the volunteer was completely disinterested. Someone came in with a small child that was clearly there just to play with the kittens and not adopt one, and that I guess took precedence over us wanting to adopt one, so at that point we left. I understand that these places are staffed mainly by volunteers, but if they're not making any effort to match the people that come in with an animal, they can't really complain that not enough people are adopting. We're definitely getting a kitten, so I'd love to hear from the original poster when you adopt!
Well....it's a county shelter .... understaffed and overrun with animals...not making excuses for them exactly, but wish you didn't post this as the animals suffer when people don't show up to adopt.

I don't believe a county shelter has the resources to "match" you with an animal, not like a rescue organization does.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:45 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
We filled out a form and got a big lecture about not declawing,
Slightly OT, but there is a good movie about this - The Paw Project (end cat declawing | animal welfare | The Paw Project). I don't "do" cats, so it was an eye-opener for me.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:48 AM

640 posts, read 1,987,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Don't feel guilty for wanting a healthy cat. Animal care isn't cheap. As my dad used to say "there is no such thing as a free kitten". I had to stop taking in strays because of their health issues. Not only was it emotionally draining but they can also infect any healthy pets you have. I lost a cat from taking in one that had feline aids unbeknownst. If I remember correctly any cat at the shelter has been tested and vaccinated and fixed. That alone justifies any fee they charge for adoption. The one thing I'd be wary of is someone's yard cat that had babies. More then likely neither mom nor dad have had any veterinary care and often unhealthy offspring. Been there done that. Learned that lesson through much $$ and tears.
Rabies is an issue in NC? Yikes.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:01 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
Rabies is an issue in NC? Yikes.
None of my animals ever had rabies. Rabies vaccinations are required but infected domestic animals are rare. Foxes I hear about the most. Not sure if you are referring to possibly a different post and quoted mine by mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary