Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 07:34 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Interesting concept. I went to Dave and Busters yesterday and all I could think about was how all these new all in one entertainment places definitely cater to a specific crowd,families with more disposable income then creativity. Seems they are placed perfectly for that demographic.

Edit: I was there myself with my family so essentially I am just as complicit.
Dave and Busters is hardly a new concept. It's been around since the 80's. I used to live within walking distance of a D&Bs in Maryland when I was in my 20's and single (I'm in 40's now). There's a time and place to go to D&Bs just like there's a time and place to go to a national park, a library, a museum, a fancy restaurant, etc. Going there doesn't mean someone has more income than creativity. It can be a special birthday outing, a change of pace from bars and dance clubs, a camp field trip (my daughter's camp used to go there), an outlet for a stressful grad student, or a fun family evening. In any case, I'm sure many people who have a lot of disposable income probably have it because they are creative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 07:32 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbctong View Post
The Yelp reviews for this place aren't looking so promising so far: CineBowl and Grille - American (Traditional) - Cary, NC - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

Looks like I'll just keep going to eat out and then go to Park West 14
This is one reason why I hate online review sites. Rather than trying something for yourself, people just listen to others on these sites. I could care less what is on Yelp, I will try it and come to my own conclusion.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:38 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It's a shame they didn't do more "soft" opening nights before the grand opening. The way it's supposed to work is all the food is supposed to arrive before the movie starts so there are no servers walking around during the movie. It looks from the reviews that some folks got their food well into the movie, and some not at all. The staff clearly wasn't well prepared.
Soft openings only help so much. If people are concerned about things not going right, I would suggest staying away from a new place for at least a month so they can iron out the kinks. That's pretty common for a small business, and just imagine a place like this that offers food, movies, alcohol, and bowling. If people don't have the patience for issues to possibly happen then just stay home. Yelpers are way too quick to slam a new business without giving them an honest chance.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:46 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
This is one reason why I hate online review sites. Rather than trying something for yourself, people just listen to others on these sites. I could care less what is on Yelp, I will try it and come to my own conclusion.
Usually if a place has been around for a while though, Yelp reviews are a good indicator if a place is good or bad. I wouldn't let it be my decision maker, but it's a good resource to have in weeding out the bad places.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:26 AM

386 posts, read 605,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Why would I waste my money at a place that a good number of people feel isn't great instead of a place that a good number of people think is good? It shouldn't be the primary decision tool but it is a great resource to weeding out all the bad places as PDF said. With sites like Yelp, Urbanspoon, TripAdvisor etc.. I am pretty much getting word of mouth opinions from hundreds of people (who have experienced the place)

There are a good number of businesses with 4-5 "star" ratings on Yelp so it's not like everyone is being completely negative on there all the time. (I write a lot more positive reviews than negative and if you look at the profiles of people with tons of reviews, they are overwhelmingly more positive than negative)

I agree though - they'll need some time to iron out the kinks. I'll keep an eye out and see if things improve

Last edited by pbctong; 07-13-2015 at 08:36 AM..

Old 07-13-2015, 06:51 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
Didn't read every thing on this last page but chiming in on a few things, sometimes you have to take online reviews like a grain of salt. I've been to a lot of places that I like, but have only really left a review on places I didn't. Many people are the same, more inclined to get to typing about places they didn't have the best experiences at. This is never a reason to not try a place, There have been several times when people simply didn't know what the heck they were talking about, or they just came on the wrong day.

Checked it out this past weekend, it was nice, the arcade section was small, but they said it was because a lot of their machines weren't ready and there would be much more next week. If you like Kings in North Hills then you will like this place, it's pretty much Kings, with the addition of Movie theater, with extreme screen and Imax, and Arcades, it doesn't have billiards, but these are the only differences that I could see. If you don't want to drop like 12 to 14 dollars on a burger go to brixx or 5 guys, or get some groceries.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:47 PM

142 posts, read 223,655 times
I haven't gone in yet, but my daughter has gone to the Cinebowl with her friends for the past three days...she's actually there right now as I type this. They really like it.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:34 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Usually if a place has been around for a while though, Yelp reviews are a good indicator if a place is good or bad. I wouldn't let it be my decision maker, but it's a good resource to have in weeding out the bad places.
I try and always post my experience on Yelp, whether good or bad. Because I go there to look at new restaurant reviews, I try to do the same for others. I like it!

Old 07-14-2015, 09:57 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Checked it out this past weekend, it was nice, the arcade section was small, but they said it was because a lot of their machines weren't ready and there would be much more next week.
There are two Barcades in downtown Raleigh that have classic video games and pinball.

www.TheBoxCarBar.com
Arcade Bar, Cocktails And Food - The Level Up Kitchen And Barcadium - Raleigh, Nc

There is also Baxter's in Chapel Hill.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:45 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
There are two Barcades in downtown Raleigh that have classic video games and pinball.

www.TheBoxCarBar.com
Arcade Bar, Cocktails And Food - The Level Up Kitchen And Barcadium - Raleigh, Nc

There is also Baxter's in Chapel Hill.
Oh I already know, Hit them both(Boxcar and the Baxter in Chapel Hill, there's also a place in Durham too close to brightleaf square forgot the name though) often thanks though, I checked out the arcades at franks because none of them have one particular game that I miss so much(it's old but not like classic old, like early 2000s old).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary