Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 12:24 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I agree with everything you wrote. There are many times I agree with him and defend his point more then disagree with it. I'm not an "over paid yuppie transplant" so my arguments with him are never personal. I just think what he wants isn't really possible and don't agree with wishing others had less even when I wish to have more. There is envy and then there is resentment,which breeds all kinds of ugliness with it.

What area did you move from? I lived in Belvidere Park off Glascock for several years. Rising rents pushed us out last year. Looked all over King Charles,Longview and Woodcrest for a decent deal. No luck. Every affordable rental has now been remodeled and sold or isn't affordable anymore. That's the area I always recommend for people looking to buy in the next "hot neighborhood",drastic changes lately. Even the ghetto Food Lion is getting a redo(increased organic section etc.)too much money close by to be losing to further away located stores.
Right there is the heart of much of the backlash for the copy/paste bitterness.

Wishing for a crash so the yuppie scum get what they have coming is just sick.
And, always, the crashes hurt those who are least resilient, and that is not the yuppie scum. It is the least economically sound among us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 12:50 PM

703 posts, read 780,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamdcastle View Post
I love this forum, but am totally bewildered at the incessant bullying towards saturnfan - or at least what I perceive as bullying. You may not always agree with saturnfan - and that is your right - but the constant piling-on is disappointing to see over and over again. At the end of the day, we are all neighbors in the bigger sense of the word.

To be perfectly honest, I often see a lot of validity to saturnfan's posts. I know you all go out of your way to deconstruct ever single word he/she expresses, but I just don't get it. It’s like a pack of mean girls rolling down the middle school hallway.

I have lived here since 1999 - longer than many, less than many. I moved downtown, when it was still largely unpopulated and dark after 5p. While I wouldn’t wish for those days again – ever – I don’t know that Raleigh is growing in a way that is fair and accessible to all people – not just the upper echelons who can afford the latest luxury apartment/condo that rolls off the line. I’m all for growth – but when it comes to falling all ourselves for the latest EIFS-wrapped box of those high-end apartments/condos downtown, or tearing down modest bungalows/cottages in our older neighborhoods and replacing them with 3-story McMansions that take up every square inch of the lot as allowed, it frankly concerns me – and I think we, as a wonderful and amazing city, can most certainly do better. Can someone build a McMansion next to that modest bungalow/cottage – if zoning allows – sure. But the reality is that McMansion takes away a smaller home that a person of simpler means can afford to rent/buy, so that they can, rightfully, enjoy the amenities of urban living – not just the people who are lucky enough to enjoy higher pay-grades. When the property-tax assessment blows through – that McMansion will directly impact that modest house’s property taxes – perhaps eventually forcing the resident/property owner out. That’s not hand-wringing – that’s fact. Before anyone blisters me, like they love to do saturnfan, here’s a link to support my statements:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvi...nt?oid=4001510

We bought our house in East Raleigh more than a decade ago for next to nothing, because you could hardly give property away back then. Houses around me are presently going for $250-$260sf – it’s mind-boggling. I’m sure many on here still consider it a “bad/ghetto neighborhood” – that’s how fast it’s changed. The shift to a homogenous hipster neighborhood is absolutely palpable. I don’t think that’s terrible – but I wonder where the schoolteachers/police officers/administrative folks/blue collar and service workers are going to live. I wonder that, in fact, about the whole city. Don’t shoot the messenger, but I think cities that search for ways to maintain a diversity of socio-economic/cultural/jobs/interests makes for a far healthier and vibrant city. Understandably, developers are not going to set aside housing to accommodate workforce or affordable housing out of the goodness of their hearts, so I think it’s imperative that City Council incentivize/require this for every new larger-scale development approved. I don’t think that’s beyond the pale of reason to expect.

Does Raleigh need “more density” – absolutely – so long as it’s not just for the wealthy to enjoy. At one time, downtown and the neighborhoods immediately adjacent were crazy dense – but so much of it has been knocked down. I hardly think it’s communist propaganda to suggest that what goes back in on those parcels encourages density, but also takes into account its surroundings/context/architecture/long-established communities. I hardly think that’s NIMBY’ism – I think it’s being fair to all the people who have slogged it out here a whole lot longer than we have. We’re #1 for just about everything these days – what’s a developer going to do – NOT build because we require more of them? If yes – move on over – someone more accommodating will take their place shortly. Have some pride of place, for goodness' sake.

There are lots of the “have’s” in Raleigh right now – fabulous! But there are even more “have-nots”. I don’t think expressing disappointment/frustration about how changes to housing/shopping/transportation does not reflect a fuller expression of the demographics of our fair city is exactly trolling the boards.
The points on gentrification are fair ones to make, and if they were made with a similar level of detail and fact by Saturnfan, they would likely be received a whole lot differently. But instead, they are made incessantly to nearly every post with the same tired old screeds and often paired with other diatribes that are contradictory or incendiary. Many are just plain incorrect. He is a one-man non-welcoming committee to anyone interested in moving to the area. I relocated here less than 18 months ago, and frankly I'm tired of being lumped in to a group that he feels somehow has done harm to his personal situation.

The shear fact that in the past 3-4 months he has wished for 1) a tanking of the local pharma companies so that folks would lose their jobs and move away, and 2) another housing bubble crash like 2008/9 illustrates his true character. And we're the bullies?

Old 07-16-2015, 05:02 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Right there is the heart of much of the backlash for the copy/paste bitterness.

Wishing for a crash so the yuppie scum get what they have coming is just sick.
And, always, the crashes hurt those who are least resilient, and that is not the yuppie scum. It is the least economically sound among us.
Hey, you and I agree on something. Yuppies are not what we need more of in our area.

A friend in NYC can't stand the entitlement mentality of the yuppies that have infested the previously middle class area we once called home.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Hey, you and I agree on something. Yuppies are scum.

A friend in NYC can't stand the entitlement mentality of the yuppies that have infested the previously middle class area we once called home.
Oh, the sarcasm was hardly veiled. But, to clarify, we don't agree on xenophobic and destructive prejudices at all.

"Young Urban Professionals" could be your proctologist, your dentist, your bankers.
You should be selective, and avoid affiliating with educated, degreed professionals.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:27 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Oh, the sarcasm was hardly veiled. But, to clarify, we don't agree on xenophobic and destructive prejudices at all.

"Young Urban Professionals" could be your proctologist, your dentist, your bankers.
You should be selective, and avoid affiliating with educated, degreed professionals.
I have a BBA from Hofstra (with honors) and a postgrad credential in mainframe system design and programming from NYU but am not a stuck up yuppie type.

My dad was an army sergeant/cab driver, mom was an INS officer, and uncle was a letter carrier. I worked 5 years at Nathan's Famous (maintenance/janitor) through high school then ran a 24 hour Shell station in the NYC area through college and 2 more years (grave shift).

Moved to Los Angeles and started a career in IT with Mobil, banks, credit card processors, and Federal government.

Based on hard, dirty jobs, I never got the yuppie ethic that I was superior than other people irregardless of their trade in life. Neither did Sam Walton who visited his stores in an old pickup with his dog Ol' Roy in the back.

Yuppies should keep themselves in their own neighborhoods and not gentrify us out of our homes.

I do not want to be rich. I do not have the slightest interest in expensive homes and vehicles. Don't give a rat's patoot if my neighbor parks his car on the lawn next to a broken Powerglide transmission. Just want the damn newcomers to leave us middle class folk alone and fix their own messes where they live now.

Last edited by saturnfan; 07-16-2015 at 05:45 PM..

Old 07-16-2015, 05:39 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
you don't own a home though, so you haven't been gentrified out of your home - you haven't even said that any of the apartment communities that you've chosen to live in have been bought/bulldozed/converted to high-rent joints.

and none if this has anything to do with "Why is the job market actually bad? Do you agree?"

Old 07-16-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I have a BBA from Hofstra (with honors) and a postgrad credential in mainframe system design and programming from NYU but am not a stuck up yuppie type.

My dad was an army sergeant/cab driver, mom was an INS officer, and uncle was a letter carrier. I worked 5 years at Nathan's Famous (maintenance/janitor) through high school then ran a 24 hour Shell station in the NYC area through college and 2 more years (grave shift).

Moved to Los Angeles and started a career in IT with Mobil, banks, credit card processors, and Federal government.

Based on hard, dirty jobs, I never got the yuppie ethic that I was superior than other people irregardless of their trade in life. Neither did Sam Walton who visited his stores in an old pickup with his dog Ol' Roy in the back.

Yuppies should keep themselves in their own neighborhoods and not gentrify us out of our homes.

I do not want to be rich. I do not have the slightest interest in expensive homes and vehicles. Don't give a rat's patoot if my neighbor parks his car on the lawn next to a broken Powerglide transmission. Just want the damn newcomers to leave us middle class folk alone and fix their own messes where they live now.
How does any of this excuse your bigotry and prejudice, and your routine attacks on people who are not just like you?

Old 07-16-2015, 06:08 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Well tell that to the hiring manager I spoke with who stated that you have to "know somebody" to get your foot in the door with a lot of these companies. This isn't my first rodeo, Raleigh's numbers are very misleading and this is not a good city for relocation.
Yep, I've heard this over and over again. Also, a recruiter told me the other day not to even bother with Indeed and Monster and the like. Only 2% of those jobs are actual jobs, the rest are for compliance or are recruiters fishing for resumes. No wonder I never got ONE response from Indeed despite hundreds of applications. I'm ready to just give up the official search and get out there and talk to people.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
if you have the right skill set, Raleigh is a great place to relocate.
Bingo. and I'll add ONLY if you have the right skill set, which to me seems like IT, healthcare, sales. None of which I have. So where in the world is someone like me supposed to go??? 15 years teaching high school math, had to get out or would have jumped off a cliff. And I apply for everything, even admin asst, and NEVER get called. And yes, my resume and cover letter have been professionally done.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Medical degree, law degree, engineering degree or computer science degree, maybe having all four!
Don't forget 'at least 5 years' experience doing exactly what this job description says'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary