Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 05:53 AM

715 posts, read 888,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I use that Toyota dealer but that's not the issue.

The issue is that all these high cost items are now available in what used to be a Kmart and Chevy city. Saks Fifth Avenue in Triangle is another bad sign for the middle class.
Supply and demand... If anything it's a positive for the area as Rainman said "K-Mart Suxs".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 08:27 AM

5,131 posts, read 3,747,404 times
If I moved into a neighborhood and it went downhill I think I would be disappointed. He who has the gold makes the rules.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:59 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:

The issue is that all these high cost items are now available in what used to be a Kmart and Chevy city. Saks Fifth Avenue in Triangle is another bad sign for the middle class.
So, you're angry that there's more variety? How bizarre.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:13 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:

So what, Maserati and Saks are going to force middle-class residents to enter their stores, spend all their money, and become poor? That's not how life works. What's MORE likely is that the presence of higher-dollar anchors in a mall like Saks and Nordstrom will keep the mall from being full of check-cashing places and dollar stores. I've seen that sort of thing happen in every state I've lived in and it's depressing to say the least.

Also, re: Maserati - they're moving further downmarket from where they used to be, with models positioned below the Quattroporte and GranTurismo. That may explain their expansion into NE. (We can discuss Sergio Marchionne's questionable business decisions in the Automotive forum, though...)

Old 07-19-2015, 02:53 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
So what, Maserati and Saks are going to force middle-class residents to enter their stores, spend all their money, and become poor? That's not how life works. What's MORE likely is that the presence of higher-dollar anchors in a mall like Saks and Nordstrom will keep the mall from being full of check-cashing places and dollar stores. I've seen that sort of thing happen in every state I've lived in and it's depressing to say the least.

Also, re: Maserati - they're moving further downmarket from where they used to be, with models positioned below the Quattroporte and GranTurismo. That may explain their expansion into NE. (We can discuss Sergio Marchionne's questionable business decisions in the Automotive forum, though...)
I understand what you are saying but have a personal experience with gentrification in lower Manhattan.

Local businesses were replaced by franchises and you can find numerous boutiques but no hardware stores.

Middle class people started to feel out of place.

Yes, Maseratis are cheaper now, but it's the new choices in previously middle class areas signaling a dangerous change.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:21 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying but have a personal experience with gentrification in lower Manhattan.

Local businesses were replaced by franchises and you can find numerous boutiques but no hardware stores.

Yes, Maseratis are cheaper now, but it's the new choices in previously middle class areas signaling a dangerous change.
He has a point. If the area is not thriving, it becomes a slum.

I have no interest in slums. Most people who own property want their cities and towns to thrive.

It's not a "signal" if there are a few higher-end retailers around of anything but that the local economy can support them.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:47 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:

Right, Alphabet City was doing great 30 years ago

Old 07-19-2015, 11:27 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
I really can't understand the inability to realize that if the KMart, the Chevy dealership, the Applebee's, and the small hardware store (since mini-city has both big box places) are PROFITABLE (meaning enough people shop there) and think they can't be MORE PROFITABLE somewhere else, then they would NEVER LEAVE.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:30 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:

The borough of Manhattan as a whole has always been a special case. BTW, Google Maps shows dozens of hardware stores in Lower Manhattan, so.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
He has a point. If the area is not thriving, it becomes a slum.

I have no interest in slums. Most people who own property want their cities and towns to thrive.

It's not a "signal" if there are a few higher-end retailers around of anything but that the local economy can support them.
Thank you. And the market will decide which stores will swim and which will sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I really can't understand the inability to realize that if the KMart, the Chevy dealership, the Applebee's, and the small hardware store (since mini-city has both big box places) are PROFITABLE (meaning enough people shop there) and think they can't be MORE PROFITABLE somewhere else, then they would NEVER LEAVE.
Speaking of, didn't Target used to be in Mini City a few years ago? I seem to remember it being there when I drove through in 2012 or so.

And I'll bet that Maserati dealer only took over the Chevy lot because Chevy decided they wanted a bigger lot to fit all their Corvettes and $55K Tahoes and Suburbans and Silverado (High Country) models.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:45 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
The borough of Manhattan as a whole has always been a special case. BTW, Google Maps shows dozens of hardware stores in Lower Manhattan, so.......

Thank you. And the market will decide which stores will swim and which will sink.

Speaking of, didn't Target used to be in Mini City a few years ago? I seem to remember it being there when I drove through in 2012 or so.

And I'll bet that Maserati dealer only took over the Chevy lot because Chevy decided they wanted a bigger lot to fit all their Corvettes and $55K Tahoes and Suburbans and Silverado (High Country) models.
Yep that Target location closed due to high levels of theft. Ditto for the Lowe's foods there as well. They were built before the demographic change. That used to be North Raleigh. Lowe's hardware and Sam's are the only brand name big box stores left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary