Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 10:15 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times

Advertisements

The job market is poor everywhere, and from what I am seeing right now, it appears balance sheets are leaning up again..

Thanks to heavy marketing, people have been conditioned to believe the job market in RTP is strong only to find when they arrive that the competition is very stiff. No surprise there.

The sanctuary of "tech" jobs from this sustained market downturn is largely a myth as well created by every two bit college that wants to sell their degree programs or certain politicians who want to paint the unemployed as "lazy" or ignorant. Anyone actually in a tech field sees with their own eyes heavy competition from foreign workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 11:10 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grotzi View Post
It's not just Raleigh. Jobs disappeared everywhere when repugneturds sent them all to China about 10-12 years ago as a matter of public policy. You can't make a living well enough to raise a family by working in a factory anymore, those days are gone. I guess now they are starting to wonder if it's all worthwhile, now that China hacked the gubbermint database and is taking out a few high interest loans in the name of every federal government employee, but it's what they signed up for in the first place.

Get yourself educated and learn to do something that will help you survive in the modern world, otherwise you become roadkill courtesy of the repugneturds.
The Globalization train had already left the building before the Bush Era (I remember Ross perot explaicing the NAFTA impacts as part of his campaign debates in the mid 90s). The Internet age just accelerated it. One could argue that factory pay was inflated and that hastened the drive to look for lower cost suppliers).

I do agree one must constantly reinvent themselves to add value in whatever field they work, but I don't see that as a bad thing compared to expecting to make the same widget for 30 years.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:43 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
It's not just Raleigh. Jobs disappeared everywhere when repugneturds sent them all to China about 10-12 years ago as a matter of public policy. You can't make a living well enough to raise a family by working in a factory anymore, those days are gone. I guess now they are starting to wonder if it's all worthwhile, now that China hacked the gubbermint database and is taking out a few high interest loans in the name of every federal government employee, but it's what they signed up for in the first place.

Get yourself educated and learn to do something that will help you survive in the modern world, otherwise you become roadkill courtesy of the repugneturds.
Yes, Donald Trump may not be right about everything but is 100% on target about immigration and foreign trade.

Hope he shakes up the sold out turds we now have in Congress.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
The job market is poor everywhere, and from what I am seeing right now, it appears balance sheets are leaning up again..

Thanks to heavy marketing, people have been conditioned to believe the job market in RTP is strong only to find when they arrive that the competition is very stiff. No surprise there.

The sanctuary of "tech" jobs from this sustained market downturn is largely a myth as well created by every two bit college that wants to sell their degree programs or certain politicians who want to paint the unemployed as "lazy" or ignorant. Anyone actually in a tech field sees with their own eyes heavy competition from foreign workers.
I foresee a major bust in this area because of stupid migration here and an incompetent NC legislature sold out to greed.

Last edited by saturnfan; 07-11-2015 at 01:55 AM..

Old 07-11-2015, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
The Globalization train had already left the building before the Bush Era (I remember Ross perot explaicing the NAFTA impacts as part of his campaign debates in the mid 90s). The Internet age just accelerated it. One could argue that factory pay was inflated and that hastened the drive to look for lower cost suppliers).

I do agree one must constantly reinvent themselves to add value in whatever field they work, but I don't see that as a bad thing compared to expecting to make the same widget for 30 years.
The only good thing about Perot was his picture of NAFTA as "that sucking sound". He was right.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:25 AM

779 posts, read 927,824 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post

Not true... I never had trouble finding work in my field in places like Dallas, Phoenix, Seattle, and Denver. I don't know what you guys have experience in or if you're just talking out of the side of your neck, but there are plenty of cities in the U.S. with booming job markets. And before you ask, "Why don't you move there then?" ... I'm working on it ...

Old 07-11-2015, 10:27 AM

75 posts, read 253,459 times
It's not all doom and gloom. I've never had a hard time at all finding a good job in this area. Granted, I'm a software developer, but I was able to find a job right out of school (NC State) in 2007 and during the economic downturn in the years following. From what I hear from tech recruiters, market is still relatively hot, for developers. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-11-2015, 02:06 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
I know that the "statistics" indicate the unemployment rate is low, but those statistics do not differentiate between good jobs vs 15 hour a week jobs making $8.50 an hour. It's extremely difficult to find gainful employment in Raleigh. If you're thinking about moving to the Raleigh area, please don't just look at the unemployment rate and low COL (Like I did), they're misleading. Does anyone here agree with me?
what field are you in, what's the average salary in that field, and what field/pay grade are you otherwise working in now to pay the bills?

Old 07-11-2015, 02:54 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
It's not all doom and gloom. I've never had a hard time at all finding a good job in this area. Granted, I'm a software developer, but I was able to find a job right out of school (NC State) in 2007 and during the economic downturn in the years following. From what I hear from tech recruiters, market is still relatively hot, for developers. Just my 2 cents.
Yes, developers can pretty much pick where they want to go. But "IT", an exceedingly general term, has some areas with lots of openings around here and some with not so many, and some with lots of contract work but not much in the way of permanent. When someone says they are "in IT", it can mean 100 different sub-fields, many of them unknown to even other "IT" folks. So one can't really talk about "the IT market" in a particular place, even though to those outside IT, it all seems like "Well, you work with computers and stuff and I hear the market is good in the Raleigh/Durham area". SOME kinds of IT was positively booming here while some are having large layoffs.

It's a frustration with the definition of "IT", I think (as one who just came out of a job hunt with "IT" recruiters; even THEY didn't often know whether a particular job was a real match for me or not, and they are local and in that business).

The job market in this area is not "bad", but it's certainly not the "oh, just move to NC and you'll have them knocking on your door to hire you!" that many on these boards apparently were told before moving.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:05 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
Your not making it anywhere @ 8.50 per hour.
Agreed, especially at 15 hours a week? Come on now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary